City-elf problems and possible solutions

Started by Good Gortok, January 27, 2009, 11:12:27 AM

Quote from: ibusoe on June 09, 2009, 11:50:10 PM
After all, it's not like the CEO of my real life company comes down from the penthouse to pick an argument with some janitors in the basement.  I'd be seriously surprised if he could tell you how many janitors work for his company or what their names are.
CEO's don't think it's fun to harass their janitors. (Normally?)
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 09, 2009, 06:10:23 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 09, 2009, 05:33:12 AM
The Gaj is not a safe place for shady, low-life scum to hang out.

Seems so, if you're an elf. The poor fecker apparently couldn't even start a new character and get out the door before being taken to jail. That seems excessive to me.

I'm not doubting the that Gaj has been infested with silks and gemmies.

But I am laughing at the idea of a newbie elf in his newbie suit getting hauled off my militia.  That's perfect, fine, and the elf's player should be able to talk his way out of whatever punishment the templars have intended.  If the player is just as new as his character, I'd suspect the law would pass out an indulgence on the character's behavior.

Quote from: number13 on June 10, 2009, 05:30:07 AM
Quote from: Salt Merchant on June 09, 2009, 06:10:23 AM
Quote from: hyzhenhok on June 09, 2009, 05:33:12 AM
The Gaj is not a safe place for shady, low-life scum to hang out.

Seems so, if you're an elf. The poor fecker apparently couldn't even start a new character and get out the door before being taken to jail. That seems excessive to me.

I'm not doubting the that Gaj has been infested with silks and gemmies.

But I am laughing at the idea of a newbie elf in his newbie suit getting hauled off my militia.  That's perfect, fine, and the elf's player should be able to talk his way out of whatever punishment the templars have intended.  If the player is just as new as his character, I'd suspect the law would pass out an indulgence on the character's behavior.

It's not perfect and not fine, and it borders on the OOC abuse. I militia feels bored and decides to harass someone, that's good, that's what they do. Most of the time, yeah, elf or a breed will be the object for boredom relief. Fine, understandable. But in this case, the player was subjected to the 'treatment' from the start, most likely forced to give away his starting coin, which gave him no choice but to try some desperate crime, this potentially shortening his life.

If he had been caught near someone yelling 'thief!', or seen near apartment building at night, fine, fuck him up with no evidence needed because he's a natural born scum and everybody knows that. But if they are going to fuck with elves at random, why pick a new a player and not some elf from the third of the Gaj's populace? Almost half of the city populace is elven, and one would think that militia don't stop to smack every single one of them. And you know why so many elves live in the city? Not because Highlord feels charitable, it's because they are fucking needed and fill the certain niches better than humans. Not only backstabby niches.

Quote from: spicemustflow on June 10, 2009, 06:07:42 AM
If he had been caught near someone yelling 'thief!', or seen near apartment building at night, fine, fuck him up with no evidence needed because he's a natural born scum and everybody knows that. But if they are going to fuck with elves at random, why pick a new a player and not some elf from the third of the Gaj's populace? Almost half of the city populace is elven, and one would think that militia don't stop to smack every single one of them. And you know why so many elves live in the city? Not because Highlord feels charitable, it's because they are fucking needed and fill the certain niches better than humans. Not only backstabby niches.
Like that happens often...
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 10, 2009, 08:50:08 AM

It's happened to me. Granted, I wasn't playing an elf.

But the IC response was pathetic.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: number13 on June 10, 2009, 05:30:07 AM

It's actually not perfect and fine, and I speak as the former player of a militia Sergeant. Hauling any PC off to jail simply for existing does border on abuse, minimally, and may actually BE abuse of the role if the PC is stripped of coin or items (or is killed) as an aftereffect of the interaction. Now, harassing that PC in order to make his/her life miserable, or in order to see whether they will cough up a SMALL bribe (in the range of 20 to 50 coins, or a drink or other small item), or in order to provoke the PC to do something stupid which is a jailing offense, that really is OK.

Militia members do definitely get bored--there is a lot of downtime in the role, and an inability to make decisions for one's own PC or go anywhere interesting or do some fun things without authorization. However, boredom is never a justifiable reason for OOC abuse of other PCs.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

This thread has got me all fired up to at least try a city elf in the future.  If it's miserable, then it's miserable, but it sounds like an experience to have.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

Quote from: Is Friday on June 10, 2009, 08:50:08 AM

Did you mean to say: 'Like that doesn't happen often...'? If not, I don't get it.

I might have to make an elf for my next character too.

Just to see if I'm actually full of shit.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on June 13, 2009, 09:36:03 PM

You don't have to. I can tell you right now that you're correct.

Quote from: Eloran on June 13, 2009, 09:40:26 PM
Quote from: Jingo on June 13, 2009, 09:36:03 PM

You don't have to. I can tell you right now that you're correct.

I'm also an Obamaman.