City-elf problems and possible solutions

Started by Good Gortok, January 27, 2009, 11:12:27 AM

Quote from: Fool on January 30, 2009, 01:43:35 AM
I was thinking about the city elves and mount thing this week and think that it could be considered a result of the races inborn psychological make up rather than a simple matter or pride, upbringing and choice.

You could go with they are born with a psychological need to not rely on anyone or anything else. It would explain their instinct towards deception, becuase they are born knowing that to rely on someone else is wrong and weak. When an elf tricks someone else they deserve it becuase the only way someone would be in that situation would be to rely on the elf to sacrifice their own self interest for that person. Maybe they are lazy or stupid but they trying to make you weak too, how dare they.

In regards to mounts there would be the instinctive mistrust of putting yourself at the relative mercy of that beast. Sure eventually they can be trained, and are very useful, but what about if that beast is killed? If you have come to rely on that beast to do what you need to do... well for an elf it just wouldn't bear thinking about. Literally, becuase their brains just don't work that way.

Familial instincts would override this somewhat allowing the concept of self to expand to encompass immediate family and to an extent the tribe. Its ok to help and rely on them a little... they are family.

Anyone, just pointing out that the whole riding thing need not be reduced to stupidity on the part of elves.

Edit for typoes. Some of them anyway.

Your conception of elves is ass-backwards, man.

Elves value their family and tribe above ALL else, even to the point of death.  Elves bask in the glory of their tribe...they aren't ashamed to rely on each other, because their strength lies in that familial bond:  the knowledge that, no matter HOW thick shit gets, your homies will ALWAYS have your back, NO MATTER WHAT.  And you, as your PC, would NEVER violate that trust, because being outcast would be a fate worse than death.  This is why elves are prideful:  you'd feel pretty fucking pumped too, if you knew you had an entire crew of hardened individuals ready to go out and avenge any slights tossed out by some punk motherfucker with a big mouth.  It's also why they should be cautious and discreet:  because any mistake you make reflects poorly on or directly damages the group of individuals who are almost your entire identity.

Save the self-reliance kankshit for the emo half-breeds.

On topic:  what the FUCK would be the point of putting a karma restriction on a race that almost nobody except newbs wants to play?  I can't count the number of "more city elves plz" threads I've seen, and now people are calling for something that essentially would make them even more scarce.

The only reason d-elves, half-giants, muls, etc. have karma restrictions on them is because they have racial advantages that could possibly ruin the game if they got into severely (like noob H&S-style) abusive hands.  It's not because they're "hard" to roleplay...otherwise half-elves would be like karma 5 and dwarves would probably be karma 8.  It's hard to really go berserk on the game with the level 1 karma races/classes.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 30, 2009, 02:20:54 AM
Maybe move everything else up a notch (2 karma=d-elves, 3 karma=viv/ruk, etc).
Give C-elves the 1 karma spot.
D-elf karma would take the same "trust level" as it does now making C-elf karma very easy to get.

Knock Sorcerors and Psionicists off the chart into sponsored apps only, and that'd be perfect.

Quote from: Clearsighted on January 30, 2009, 05:16:20 AM
Knock Sorcerors and Psionicists off the chart into sponsored apps only, and that'd be perfect.

I'd fuck this, hard. But that's another thread.

But as far as making c-elves a karma race?

No.... This doesn't get my vote.

Writing up more documentation and throwing a coded c-elf tribe or two into the game so people won't have such a hard understanding of how to play c-elves?

^ This. This gets my vote.

I dont think I made it clear.

As of now, playing a city elf is harder than d-elf.  As a d-elf you likely have a coded tribe and most likely coded tribemates.  You have the perks to run to wherever you have to as well.

As a city elf, the only benefit you have is that  are virtually protected from the "dangers of the desert", which might have been a benefit comparing to the times with wandering-gith-death-squads and what not, is no more a big deal at this point.  Plus, the playerbase has evolved to the point they will give you a harder time than what your desert elf counterparts are experiencing out in the desert.

Seriously, I think c-elf is much harder to play than d-elf
some of my posts are serious stuff

Personally at this time in the game, I agree with the idea that c-elves are hard to play, but as a few others said I don't think they should be a karma race. Unless they got more boosts to like running or agility or something or got special skills, but otherwise i don't see many people wanting to waste their time on a karma 1-3 c-elf. I Like playing them as they are, and I take the challenge of that and run with it. It gives spark to my game play. But one thing I really think is needed is a coded tribe and like I have said many times: "I'm working on it so that in the future there will be one around."
         --Titansfan
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: Qzzrbl on January 30, 2009, 08:24:15 AM

Writing up more documentation and throwing a coded c-elf tribe or two into the game so people won't have such a hard understanding of how to play c-elves?

^ This. This gets my vote.

I would also like to see this.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Karma? No.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I've been very highly considering a city elf for my next (several) pc's. It'll take more
than one because I don't remember Allanak.. at all and tend to get royally lost.
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Quote from: Hot_Dancer on January 30, 2009, 02:39:17 PM
I've been very highly considering a city elf for my next (several) pc's. It'll take more
than one because I don't remember Allanak.. at all and tend to get royally lost.

Actually this thread is kind of making me want to try one too.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

5 of you guys could store and start a tribe with the hopes of it becoming coded.

"Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas."
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

If you do it, don't do it in Allanak (or redstorm). Do it in the 'rinth or Tuluk.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Why not Allanak? It's been pretty quiet lately.

Quote from: Good Gortok on January 30, 2009, 03:13:27 PM
Why not Allanak? It's been pretty quiet lately.
I should probably explain

Mostly because at least in Tuluk, you'll have a chance to advance socially. And in the 'rinth you'll have a chance to interact at an equal level.

In 'nak, nobody will talk to you unless they "want to smear shit", just like Ghost said. But anyways, if you play a sneaky elf in 'nak, you'll end up in the 'rinth in no time anyways.

The only place I would discourage is Red Storm because fuck-all happens there. Luir's, too, to some extent. Whether one should play in Nak or Tuluk depends entirely on what kind of roleplay they desire.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on January 30, 2009, 02:42:56 PM
5 of you guys could store and start a tribe with the hopes of it becoming coded.

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,30912.0.html

NO NEW CLANS POLICY
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Quote from: Good Gortok on January 30, 2009, 03:24:18 PM
The only place I would discourage is Red Storm because fuck-all happens there. Luir's, too, to some extent. Whether one should play in Nak or Tuluk depends entirely on what kind of roleplay they desire.

For human characters, sure. But playing a solo elf in 'storm is nigh impossible for coded reasons.

And in 'nak, expect to get your ass kicked on a regular basis by noble servants just for stepping into the Gaj.

Quote from: mansa on January 30, 2009, 03:31:29 PM

NO NEW CLANS POLICY

When you're talking about establishing a major clan/organization in game, getting the documents added to the webpage, a forum and a staff are the least of your concerns.

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

January 30, 2009, 03:40:28 PM #67 Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 03:43:29 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: mansa on January 30, 2009, 03:31:29 PM

NO NEW CLANS POLICY

The new game was also suppose to start somewhere around three years ago... things change.
Staff would most likely say no if you just went up and asked.  A group of players spending a RL year working towards a plot end MIGHT sway them otherwise.

Instead of having your backgrounds from an existing virtual tribe, form a group of elves with a common purpose to join together and for a new IC tribe.
Write docs for your tribe, discuss ICly how members should handle things, relate to different outside groups, etc.
Send regular emails to the unclanned staff updating them as to your progress.

You never know until you try, and if you stay alive long enough and gather enough followers, you are a tribe regardless of rather or not it is coded.
Even though it isn't coded they might be willing to give you a discussion board group to communicate and post docs as they are made.

i believe in the "'Tis easier to ask for forgivness than permission" argument:
Do the work THEN ask for assistance, not the other way around.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Elf love is coming, from what I understand.

Yes.  That's what she said.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Sweet. I'll take this opportunity to stop bitching then.  ;D

Staff love is coming(in the form of kudos) if so.

One of my favorite pcs was a c-elf burglar/con-artist. He was a very successful crook and never did really work as a "burglar". I do agree that c-elves need more documented tribes that one can be a part of.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I was trying, but after what people have said to me....I don't know if it's worth it. Even though some people have shown their gratification. I don't....just don't have the heart or motivation to anymore.

... Because some people didn't like how you went about offering roles? Or for some other reason?

The way people on the GDB ridiculed me for it yes...and assumed the worst of me right off the get-go.