Private emotes

Started by , May 28, 2003, 09:37:47 PM

I discovered this strange system in a recent MUD as I did my usual jump around to see what the new and upcoming games are up-to. This was a rather strange system, and the first time Id ever seen it. I dont know the technical name, but they are like emotes that can be directed a person, kinda like a private emote if you will.

Their reasoning was to reduce spam, and sometimes do things that only the person your interacting with would know.

It sometimes would create double messages for the people doing it, but others in the room wouldnt be aware. Here'd be a situation...

emoteat man shakes your hand with a firm grip.
emote shakes %man hand.

So in that situation only the other man would know that my grip was firm, to others it would just appear as a normal handshake. The situation carries over into sneak and hide based emotes where you want the person to feel different then it would appear in a room, if you want the room to know at all.

emoteat man brushes past you lightly.
(then Id do some steal thing or something)

now realistically, in a crowded room not everyone would be aware of everytime brushes into someone else. This is partly the reasoning im guessing.

Anyways I was thinking about it and that might be neat in some cases. This is more just for discussion then actually suggesting it be implemented.

How would it be determined if someone else sees it and such? I don't really see how that system would work completely. Is it completely secret? If so what starts people from twinking out on it? Using it as a super whisper? Also what if your paying attention to someone else. You may not know that their hand shake was strong but just by sight you'd have at least alittle bit of an idea... SHRUG>

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I would refer you to the semote thread, which I believe did not garnish much support from players or staff  :(
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

ooooooo then we can finally play footsie under the table ;)

Bah.  I still play footsie under the table.  Who cares if its 'secret' or not?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

Quote from: Morgenes on April 01, 2011, 10:33:11 PM
You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

*sniff*

Mansa never played footsee with me.  :cry:
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Quote*sniff*

Mansa never played footsee with me.

Me neither!

Creeper thinks, "Oh wait... Doh!"

:twisted:
21sters Unite!