Silt skimmers and their crews

Started by Clearsighted, January 11, 2009, 12:12:33 AM

If I can ask, based on a sort of physics perspective that would be unknown in zalanthas, how does a silt skimmer stay afloat? Apparently the silt-sea is like quick-sand, so does the skimmer always have to be moving (like in super mario where you sink if you stop moving at certain places in the desert levels). Does it use wind? or crew mates kicking their feet in the silt as they hang on to the rear for dear life?
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

The skimmers are usually very wide and flat on the bottom, with sails topside. So I would imagine that they use wind to skim over the surface, and that they use a sort even weight distribution over a large area to stay floating just on the surface of the silt ... but I'm just kinda making that up  :D
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

I think of them as sort of a big oblong trampoline with runners secured to the bottom. A quasi catamaran/snowshoe combo.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

This is something that could perfectly well be found out IC.

In Dark Sun, silt skimmers had very big but very narrow wheels.  They don't float.  I am not saying that is how they work in Armageddon, but I'm sure you could find out IC as Ole said.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

QuoteThis is something that could perfectly well be found out IC.

No it can't. Speaking as someone who has a nearly full map of the Sea of Silt from expeditions undertaken with a previous ranger back when Shal first made this announcement, I will tell you that it's not readily evident. My best guess would be the wide, flat, weight distribution theory.

QuoteIn Dark Sun, silt skimmers had very big but very narrow wheels.  They don't float.  I am not saying that is how they work in Armageddon, but I'm sure you could find out IC as Ole said.

Everyone is treating Dark Sun skimmers like they are IC info. They're not.

IN DARK SUN, SKIMMERS ARE FLOATED BY MINDBENDERS!!!

This is NOT the case in Armageddon. I did perfectly fine as a lone mundane.

Again, I'm just gonna guess weight distribution / flat surface.
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

..... Actually, now that I think about it, that halfling hoola girl bobblehead I kept on the helm might have been a mindbender...
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

My skimmer got fuzzy dice and hydraulics. Yo skimmer ain't got shit comin'.

Mine's got chrome wheels biatches!
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Mine's got a bedroom with a heart shaped bed and quirri fur sheets.

Also, there's a slave in the rear cargo storage who beats drums. There's no room for anything else back there, but you can hear me coming from 5 screens off.

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on April 23, 2010, 02:03:31 AM
Mine's got a bedroom with a heart shaped bed and quirri fur sheets.

Also, there's a slave in the rear cargo storage who beats drums. There's no room for anything else back there, but you can hear me coming from 5 screens off.

You hear some ominous thumping sounds coming from the east

"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead."
-Albert Einstein