Silt skimmers and their crews

Started by Clearsighted, January 11, 2009, 12:12:33 AM

more people should move to storm and become pirates ;)  :D
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

Totally.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

if the silt sea was in between allanak-luirs and luirs-tuluk (luirs sort of like an island) and every other transportation was too cumbersome maaaaaaaaaan

then we would see some real pirates
some of my posts are serious stuff

I assure you all that being a silt-pirate is probably the most dangerous fun that can be had in this game...

I'm not telling you what I saw... I'm not telling you what I did... or how we did it...

But it was the most fun I've had in a long time...

If you ever get optioned to head out on a skimmer.. DO IT.. it's the ride of your life.
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Quote from: perfecto on January 14, 2010, 10:36:10 AM
If you ever get optioned to head out on a skimmer.. DO IT.. it's the ride end of your life.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Some of my best memories of Arm happened with Kadius at the edge of the Silt Sea.  8)
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I should start spreading rumors about a mythical island made of metal and spice in the silt sea. ;)
The sound of a thunderous explosion tears through the air and blasts waves of pressure ripple through the ground.

Looking northward, the rugged, stubble-bearded templar asks you, in sirihish:
     "Well... I think it worked...?"

btw: help skimmer works and it says you need the piloting skill.
Quote from: Morrolan on July 16, 2013, 01:43:41 AM
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

QuoteSaid special humans I am talking about ( I am using the dark sun books) use their powers to move the ship and keep it working.   

Psionics have nothing to do with it.

I traveled the Sea of Silt on two separate occasions, (once after the new skimmer code, and these new changes). I can't say much about it, obviously, except that it was as fun as you would expect, it was about as dangerous as you would expect, and there's about as much interesting, new terrain to find out there as you would expect. And, if you're clever, you can get a ship in under 5 hours played. ;)

As for Silt Sea Pirates, FIRST we would need regular merchant commerce out there. (Seriously, why hasn't this happened yet GMH leaders??) Second, we would need to assume that Shalooonsh's mineral deposits were actually valuable, and he didn't just log into the build port hammered one Sunday morning and leave big chunks of dookey everywhere.

As the game stands, Silt Sea Vikings would be more feasible, except anyone crazy enough to wander along the shore of the Silt Sea, should be crazy enough to buy a damned skimmer!!
Quote from: musashiengaging in autoerotic asphyxiation is no excuse for sloppy grammer!!!

Armageddon.org

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on January 27, 2010, 08:35:51 PM
As the game stands, Silt Sea Vikings would be more feasible, except anyone crazy enough to wander along the shore of the Silt Sea, should be crazy enough to buy a damned skimmer!!

I personally see crazy escaped muls turn into pirates but I can't for the life of me find an IC reason for anyone outside of Red Storm to bother going there. Even those in Red Storm have much better avenues of making a living.

I think if I had a uber PC who had lived a long life, seen tons of shit, and learned a lot, I may as sort of an end-game for her have her put together a group of like minded souls to venture forth into the sea with a devil may care attitude. A kind of "fuck you Zalanthas, I actually did win" attitude that would almost certainly meet with a gruesome death.

The world itself, despite having suffered so much, is actually pretty damn safe compared to the Silt Sea.
And there was some dwarf smoking spice, and I thought that was so scandalous because I'd only been playing in 'nak.

But then everyone would find my secret conclave of F-me magickers on the other side and I'd have to share.  :(
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Old-ass, maxed-out characters who do dumb things because their players are bored of playing them after 100+ days make the baby Sanvean cry.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on January 28, 2010, 08:28:21 AM
Old-ass, maxed-out characters who do dumb things because their players are bored of playing them after 100+ days make the baby Sanvean cry.

Oh come on. If their story is over the character should ride off into some proverbial sunset.

Quote from: janeshephard on January 28, 2010, 10:24:46 AM

Oh come on. If their story is over the character should ride off into some proverbial sunset.

The proper way to handle this is: Request Tool > Retire

Seriously.  I'm not being sarcastic or humorous.  Doing wild and crazy stuff so your character can "go out with a BANG!" is extremely poor form.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

I sort of agree with Synthesis. Sort of.

Because you can't win Armageddon. Ever.  8)

I don't recall Synth wanting to go gentle into the good night....

A story's gotta end sometime, may as well go out with a bang when you can. I can't say I've ever had a character go crazy just to have some big finale, but I've -definitely- taken advantage of supremely dangerous opportunities when they arose. If it works out, your long-lived character gets an epic death; if they don't die, you get one hell of a story.  :)

One time I had a very long-lived character who contracted a terminal disease because it was hard for me to play him at the time. I left him one reasonable IC way to take care of it and asked the staff if they could just kill him if I informed them that he couldn't go through with it. I ended up just throwing in the towel with a storage request, and man, that was the longest wait I've ever had for a request to be resolved! I've never really regretted storing him (as in, never playing him again), but it did leave a space that only the "*beep* mantis head" can fill. I've resolved to go out guns a-blazin' with every long-liver after that. Not flat-out, OOC-driven suicide, of course, but let's just say I play them... extra adventurous.  ;)
Quote from: nessalin on July 11, 2016, 02:48:32 PM
Trunk
hidden by 'body/torso'
hides nipples

Quote from: Synthesis on January 28, 2010, 10:33:15 AM
Quote from: janeshephard on January 28, 2010, 10:24:46 AM

The proper way to handle this is: Request Tool > Retire

Seriously.  I'm not being sarcastic or humorous.  Doing wild and crazy stuff so your character can "go out with a BANG!" is extremely poor form.

That's your opinion. And it's wrong.

I agree with Synthesis to a point.  You deciding to have your character go out with a bang because it would make you happy may be you doing something without considering whether it is realistic for your character.  I can be relatively certain that you could lose karma for this, unless you're communicating with staff about it.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

Quote from: spawnloser on January 29, 2010, 04:14:38 PM
I agree with Synthesis to a point.  You deciding to have your character go out with a bang because it would make you happy may be you doing something without considering whether it is realistic for your character.  I can be relatively certain that you could lose karma for this, unless you're communicating with staff about it.

Completely and utterly depends on what your character is and what your bang is. I can see a number of character archetypes deciding to head out into the silt-sea on a skimmer very late in their careers. Grizzled mercenary veteran looking for that next rush of adrenalin, big-game hunter looking for larger and more exotic beasts to kill, explorer who has already traveled the known world and seeks the unknown.

As long as it is IC for your character then I see no problem with deciding to take larger risks for adventure when you're at the end of your characters story.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

I'm sorry I made this thread devolve into a "How to RP" lesson.

Really guys. It's not necessary to derail like this.

My take on this is do whatever you want.

Sure there's this balance of what's IC vs. what you OOCly want to do.

But in the end, this game is for everyone's individual enjoyment, however they manage to achieve it.

What will be, will be, and all that jazz.

On-topic, I love Ghosts's idea about having a stretch of sea between cities for some mandatory silt skimmer travelling and pirating. My hopes are that this will be a feature in Arm 2.

Bushranger, reread my post.  Make the assumption that I'm not an idiot and understand that in my world, when you're communicating openly with the staff, the topic of 'is this IC for the character' would come up.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

January 31, 2010, 12:38:50 AM #48 Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 07:44:18 AM by Bushranger
Spawnloser my post pretty much completely agrees with yours and I quoted it to agree with you. If the decision fits IC then it's great, if it's you the player's decision then it isn't.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: janeshephard on January 29, 2010, 04:29:31 PM
I'm sorry I made this thread devolve into a "How to RP" lesson.

Really guys. It's not necessary to derail like this.

heh, you made the classic newbie mistake of visiting the GDB. This happens to much every thread, especially when spawnloser is around. My advice is to just play.