Who stole my recruits?

Started by Travel Cake, May 21, 2003, 11:48:04 PM

I have no trouble at all recruiting players, but none of them make it through the obligatory pre-admittance training. Where do all my recruits go? I recruit them, and they vanish! Poof! Shazaam!

And I got to wondering. Do you think the sock monster steals them?
It takes two hands to open this safe. The manager has only one.

Annoying is it not...I find that normaly you have to sift through 5 for every one that lasts for more then 1 ic year, then only 50% of them last for more then 5 ic years, these ones though normaly manage to stay around for pretty much as long as they want though.

My vote is with the sock monster though.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Ive noticed that the sock monster does some neat tricks, he can turn your missing socks into wire coat hangars. No seriosly go look in your closet!

But as for ways to adress the problem I think its because as a player having been in these organizations theres some serious lack of stuff to do. I watch NPC's doing cool stuff for the houses all the time. Hell I get exited when I have to refill the water. It leads back to the post a few days back about getting some high ranking PC's or the Imms or both together to get some plots moving. Considering the virtual presence of these houses it seems like alot of times there just isnt anything for a real pc to do. Now that bieng said I realise that there are literally endless things to do in Arm but if I wanted to make them happen for myself Id apply for a noble or make a char who was independant. But I didnt, I want to be joe schmoe soldier and I want my Sargeant/Noble what ever to involve me in his plans at least as the pawn if nothing else. If they want me to train so be it, but say I need you to train hard, we are doing this or that within the year and thats why I need you trained in this.

This gives me IC as a PC something to aim for and as a OOC Player something to look forward to. Of course I know some people are good at making plots and things to do, but some just arent. It seems to me that that's perhaps an area where we as players could really look up to the experience and ideas of our house Imms.

Its not hard for the sock monster to get your recruits when they keep looking for him.
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Dakkon, I hear you. Except...except, they disappear BEFORE I get my hands on them. They disappear when I send them off to say ... they Byn for a year. Poof!

Hell, if I could get them to last that first year, I could keep them from turning into wire hangers!
It takes two hands to open this safe. The manager has only one.

Do the only decent thing there is, Travel Cake. Shoot them as they come out of the spawn!!!

Actually, I haven't been keeping track of this discussion but I remember the great difficulties with working with people without being able to stay on-line for endless hours on end and actively talk/spar with them whenever they came on. If you didn't do that, most of them would get bored and wander off and die.
ree as a bird and joyfully my heart
Soared up among the rigging, in and out;
Under a cloudless sky the ship rolled on
Like an angel drunk with brilliant sun.
                                       - Charles Baudelaire

It is hardly realistic for a sergeant or a noble to always have a plot going. As far as boredom goes, yes it is boring and yes you do have to live with it. I'm sure that if you do belong to a clan you have daily chores and those should keep you busy. I have noticed that as long as most recruits stay to the daily chores and do not go sneaking out of the walls or out into the labirinth, they tend to last long.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.