Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

Quote from: Nyr on April 13, 2015, 09:29:46 AM
Quote from: MeTekillot on April 12, 2015, 01:34:07 AM
Who was the sadistic bastard who gave inix the fucking "shell" keyword anyway? Shelled I understand, but shell?

It's really only one inix that has that, and that has been changed as of this morning.

It was fixed by closing Tuluk!  Zing!

(I know they grow in the wild and I know the inix seller will be in Tiny Tuluk.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on April 13, 2015, 06:49:07 PM

It was fixed by closing Tuluk!  Zing!

(I know they grow in the wild and I know the inix seller will be in Tiny Tuluk.)

With a quick tug, you pick a brown-shelled inix from a heavily drooping lizard tree.

This is neat:

Quote from: Rhyden on May 17, 2015, 09:40:11 PM
Also adding an emote to wearing something about the throat works a little differently than normal.

You have to do: "wear scarf (sweeping it around ^me shoulders) about throat"
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Not necessarily neat, but probably helpful:

Quote from: Nyr on May 26, 2015, 02:34:01 PM
There was a change to room weight code calculations a few years back to better deal with such things (so that you can't actually put something down that would put you over the weight limit in a room).

This might help in understanding the problem with whatever room you are in:

• An empty container takes up the same amount of space that a full container might.  Your bags, while empty, could take up as much space as a full bag, so the code won't let you drop them.
  • Furniture (things that you can put things "on") can modify the overall weight limits of a room upwards.
  • A combination of the above can mean that removing things from a room may well reduce its overall total capacity and you still can't put things down anywhere.

Best practices:

use "key ." to find the items in the room.  Get rid of the things you don't need.  If you have gotten rid of everything you don't need and there is still the same problem, you still have the same problem:  too much stuff in the room.

You can thank packrats and hoarders of days gone by for this code.  :)
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Not really a code ''trick''.
But did you know it's possible to attack people's mounts?

As a raider that could be a great roleplay tool. Kill the mount and then what do they do? Run? How far?... When they're tired you then force them to roleplay. If they have to be somewhere ooc they can either quit out OOC-like or you can quit for them. (kill them)

or just let them go. You could even give them your mount so they can get someplace safe.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on June 30, 2015, 08:07:14 AM

As a raider that could be a great roleplay tool. Kill the mount and then what do they do? Run? How far?... When they're tired you then force them to roleplay. If they have to be somewhere ooc they can either quit out OOC-like or you can quit for them. (kill them)

or just let them go. You could even give them your mount so they can get someplace safe.

Fair warning:  most mounts will rip your head off and squeeze a fist-size ball of dung down your neck.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on June 30, 2015, 09:36:09 AM
Quote from: Chettaman on June 30, 2015, 08:07:14 AM

Fair warning:  most mounts will rip your head off and squeeze a fist-size ball of dung down your neck.

As a side note, if they are out on a mount, they better have set some side aside to play. If I don't have a half hour to sit and play, I don't walk from 'Nak to 'Storm, a lot can happen in the waste (and usually does)
Quote from: Olgaris
Entering the Labyrinth is definitely not illegal.
Being a desert elf is not illegal.
A Templar can kill you for both.

Not necessarily a trick to do with Arm specifically, but if you have awk installed and keep your logs together in a plaintext directory:

awk '/.* says, out of character:/{getline; print}' *.txt

will print out all the OOC your characters have ever heard.

Could also be useful for printing out everything you've heard a particular PC say (at least while unhooded).
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

When you view your biography entries on the website, they are timestamped with both the OOC time and IC time that you started the entry (not the last time you edited it).

You can make sure your timestamps are accurate by creating your bios in a timely fashion.  Just drop a quick placeholder:

bio write Accepted into the Byn
~

and you can always change the title and contents at a later date.

Quote from: CodeMaster on August 14, 2015, 10:24:18 PM

~

I've been doing this for awhile and it's super handy for remembering ooc when your year in a clan is up or whatever.

Hella useful.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

Quote from: CodeMaster on August 14, 2015, 10:24:18 PM
When you view your biography entries on the website, they are timestamped with both the OOC time and IC time that you started the entry (not the last time you edited it).

You can make sure your timestamps are accurate by creating your bios in a timely fashion.  Just drop a quick placeholder:

~

and you can always change the title and contents at a later date.

Brilliant!  Except it's 'add' not 'write'.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

The timestamp for your first bio entry is also a handy reference for your PC's IC birthday, if you are playing the kind of character who would be aware of his or her birthday!

I didn't know this, thanks!
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Beethoven on August 15, 2015, 03:13:49 PM
The timestamp for your first bio entry is also a handy reference for your PC's IC birthday, if you are playing the kind of character who would be aware of his or her birthday!

September 17, 2015, 11:05:26 PM #765 Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:58:18 AM by CodeMaster
Want to 'enter' that tunnel and don't feel like typing out tunnel?

en .

[Looks like your inventory's got to be empty for this one to work]

>shake person/object shakes the object or the person's hand.

Quote from: The Silence of the Erdlus on November 05, 2015, 08:13:29 PM
>shake person/object shakes the object or the person's hand.

And shake tent echoes to the people inside the tent.

Someone shakes the tent.
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

the search command will alert you if something has been buried in the room.

To search for buried items Forage artifacts will let ya do it.
I think
Pretty sure.
Happy treasure hunting.

Quote from: LauraMars on November 24, 2015, 06:23:42 PM
Quote from: Hauwke on November 24, 2015, 06:20:53 PM
No i dont write bios after they are dead. I cant log so I dont rofl. But I did write the bios you can do while they are alive. I think I wrote a few.

You can write biography entries after a character has died if you do it from the website.

Log in to your account on armageddon.org, select "biographies" from the dropdown menu, and then choose your deceased character.  At the bottom of the list of biography entries will be a green "new entry" button.

I did not know this!

>Junk (without a target)
will junk the first item in your inventory.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Quote from: Chettaman on January 28, 2016, 08:16:51 AM
>Junk (without a target)
will junk the first item in your inventory.

FYI Not so cool when it's your backpack and you don't notice.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

> get hat shelf
You get a leather hat from the shoe shelf.

> get cap shelf
You get a silk cap from the shoe shelf.

> get helm shelf
You get a chitin helm from the shoe shelf.

> put . case
> put . case
> put . case
You put a chitin helm in the hat case.
You put a silk cap in the hat case.
You put a leather hat in the hat case.

Change Tdesc can be shortened to just 'Tdesc' to start up the text editor. Who knew!