Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

Always start your arrange or drop descs with a ~ and a space to avoid that awful mandatory "is here"

No! Never begin a style guideline with Always.

Sometimes start an arrange or drop description with ~ and sometimes place ~ elsewhere in the sentence where it fits.

arrange MeTekillot Facing the wall ~ stands in the corner.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Probably something that everyone else already knows....but being a relatively new player, and completely new to
trying to incorporate thinks and feels, i recently discovered this thing that I thought was neat

Pc's can Dream if you use the 'think' command when sleeping!
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

Quote from: ShaLeah on April 24, 2014, 04:11:14 PM
Quote from: CodeMaster on April 24, 2014, 03:10:42 PM
I don't use ^me in emotes but in aliases it can be nice.  Also I like how you don't have to close the parentheses on action emotes:

alias o open pack (bringing it around to ^me front)
alias o close pack (shrugging it onto ^me shoulders)

> o
Bringing it around to your front, you open your leather pack.

> c [and then sigh
Shrugging it onto your shoulders, you close your leather pack, and then sigh.

Stop being lazy. Your sex scenes will suck without the symbols.

You can do a variation on this to brighten up combat, if you're careful. You do NOT want to overuse stock emotes in combat, because they quickly loose all meaning. But, for example, I had a gladiator PC once. For each special action (kick, bash, disarm, subdue) I typed up not just one emote, but several possible ones I could use, as well as failure options. Ones for grabbing my weapon and so on. Because when you're a gladiator, it's your job to entertain, and you're gonna die pretty fast. Here's some examples:

Alias Name     Movement/Action     Emote
a1     Attack     shout (the finger bones clinking in ^me braids with each pounding step as #me rushes into the fray, swords swinging) AIIIIIIIIIIIE!
a2     Attack     Cautiously, @ circles, eyes narrowed. Only cursory attention is given to the red, blood-stained stand, and the corpses littering it--only enough attention as is needed to avoid tripping. Then, with a sudden movement, #me lashes out, snake-like.
om1     Opponent's attack misses     em Side stepping an attempted blow, @ brings both swords in a slashing arc at ^me opponent
m1     Your attack misses     em snarls as ^me swing narrowly misses ^me opponent, the blade's keen, bloody edge barely missing skin.
rw1     Recovering your weapon     em Snarling as ^me sword is knocked away, @ twists to the side, stooping for ~2.sword while trying to fend off attacks with ~sword

Those may not be the best examples, but you get the idea. If you program your aliases client side, you can make them responsive so you can actually target your opponent. In addition, you can also stack commands within the alias--IE, when you're trying to emote picking up that sword, you can actually add in the command to the alias to pick up the sword, as well.

The thing to remember is DO NOT OVER USE OR ABUSE THIS because there's a point where pre-typed anything ceases to be an emote and starts to be spam. If every time you get disarmed, you use the same pre-aliased emote there is something wrong. Aliases like the above are meant to help spice up special combat where you just don't have time to type.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

Comprehensive List of Neat Little Things So Far #10
(Avoid Repeats and Discussion Derails)

• "Brief room" will show all of the occupants, but not the room description.

• "Look room" (and its abbreviation, "l r") will show you the room description of the area you're in, without the occupants. If you walk around with "brief room", this is extremely helpful.

• When you assess someone, the taller/shorter than you message factors in whether or not they're wearing high-heeled shoes.

• You can CC character reports to multiple other clans rather than just an extra clan by ctrl+clicking.

• sit <chair> <table> - If you want to sit at a specific chair at a table, you can.

• grab <item> - This command is the same as the "hold" and "es" commands.

• "Eat" without anything after it will eat the last thing you picked up.

• "whisper self" will cause mumbling.

• Some MUD/MUSH clients support using the arrow keys to move directions, so you don't have to type out the direction or first letters of them

• If you set up a tent and the game crashes, it may still be there --  more details here

• If you use the "think" command when sleeping, you will dream

I will update this list for each new page of the thread. Please consult it before posting, to see if what you're pointing out has already been mentioned! Yes, I have added everything new. If it's not at the end of the list, it's because I added it to a bullet point with a similar topic. Also, if you see any repeats, please let me know! I sometimes accidentally list something more then once.

I hope this a code related one:

Quote from: Tlaloc on August 30, 2003, 04:07:10 AM
It is possible to also 'Talk' to some NPCs, and some of them might have information on how to craft certain things. Look around in game, and explore the world. ;)
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on October 04, 2014, 08:44:31 AM

It is possible to also 'Talk' to some NPCs, and some of them might have information on how to craft certain things. Look around in game, and explore the world. ;)

This is already on the list, in part one:

Quote from: Taven on September 24, 2012, 06:09:31 PM
  • Discuss - This is a command you can use with NPCs. Ex: Discuss bartender topics

"Discuss" is better then any of the other communication commands, because if it fails, it won't awkwardly echo.

Quote from: Taven on October 04, 2014, 02:50:51 PM
Quote from: Barsook on October 04, 2014, 08:44:31 AM

This is already on the list, in part one:

Quote from: Taven on September 24, 2012, 06:09:31 PM
  • Discuss - This is a command you can use with NPCs. Ex: Discuss bartender topics

"Discuss" is better then any of the other communication commands, because if it fails, it won't awkwardly echo.

Now why have I never been using discuss? That's good to know.

Related: Sometimes 'discuss <npc> topics' has nothing to offer but 'discuss <npc> name' does. (Assuming it works the same as 'talk' that is.)
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

I'm not sure how related this is to everything else here, since it's not really code, but it is technical, and having it multiple spots is good.

Quote from: Talia on October 23, 2014, 02:35:45 PM
Something that players probably don't know that might be helpful to know: If you submit your question as a non-clan question, instead of as a clan-related question/request, then your Storyteller can't answer it, only an Admin+ can. If you want your Storyteller(s) to read and answer, and assuming it's something actually related to your clan role or environment, submit it as a clan-related question/request.

Two things:

1. WRITE BOARD.  This has happened to me once, and I've noticed it happen to a lot of people a lot.  To save a message written to a board you have to WRITE BOARD afterwards.  (Yeah, it's in the help, but it seems a lot of us forget.)

2. Can the Neat Little Things compile list go into FAQ or somewhere (or stickied there) or linked from there?  I spent a lot of time trying to find this (I admit I'm terrible at searches).  I remembered it was out there, but couldn't remember what it was called.  I checked General Discussion first, and then Player Collaboration.  Didn't suspect Code Discussion.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on October 27, 2014, 06:17:32 PM2. Can the Neat Little Things compile list go into FAQ or somewhere (or stickied there) or linked from there?  I spent a lot of time trying to find this (I admit I'm terrible at searches).  I remembered it was out there, but couldn't remember what it was called.  I checked General Discussion first, and then Player Collaboration.  Didn't suspect Code Discussion.

It is in Player Collaboration as well--I updated the list there. I think it was talked about being a helpfile or something else, but it's really just a giant conglomeration of things that can be found elsewhere, so it was opted against.

I hope that helps.

The 'squeeze' command.
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Quote from: Recharge on October 31, 2014, 02:43:18 AM
The 'squeeze' command.

Please elaborate, I am unfamiliar with this command.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on October 31, 2014, 03:13:45 AM
Quote from: Recharge on October 31, 2014, 02:43:18 AM
The 'squeeze' command.

Please elaborate, I am unfamiliar with this command.
Fredd-

I tried it and it does appear to be a command.

>squeeze
Where, what, how, WHO ? ? ?

EDIT: Added spaces between the question marks to avoid the emoticon.

Another suggestion: VALUE.  I used to think only people with the skill could use this command to get weights and values of objects.  I love the list of neat little things, by the way.  Love it!
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Just remember that without the skill it is only an approximate weight/value (and may be wildly inacurate).

Have an item in your inventory or perhaps in you primary or secondary hand?
Simply type:
'squeeze <item>'
And you too, can enjoy this neat little feature!
Though there be no squids to slay,
My spear will taste blood today!

Warning: do not try on kalan fruit unless you want all of your items to get the "fruity" tag.
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"

For the record, squeeze is just one of the old build in emotes like laugh/cough/nod/shrug etc.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Did not know ...

Quote from: Morgenes on April 03, 2006, 11:43:15 AM
I've put in a change that will give a bonus to contact the person who is in contact with your mind.  So if you contact back while your boss is still in contact with you, you'll have a greater chance of success.  If your boss has moved on to contact another of his flunkeys, you'll be at where you were.

Quote from: Morgenes on June 10, 2009, 07:06:47 PM
In addition, we are adding a few bonuses to contact.  Using a character's true-name to contact them will increase your chance of contacting them.  Also, using multiple keywords will provide a smaller, limited benefit, showing that you are forming a more complete picture of who you are contacting.  Neither of these bonuses affect PVP psionic contests (such as with barrier).

January 02, 2015, 08:15:18 PM #697 Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 08:37:48 PM by Barsook
Fredd-

Oh, never mind.
Fredd-