Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

makes sense. wtf about the carru, though.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

July 21, 2011, 10:35:12 PM #501 Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:54:57 AM by Taven
Comprehensive List of Neat Little Things So Far #4
(Avoid Repeats and Discussion Derails)

• sit with <character name> seats you at the table that character is sitting at

• sit on <item that is large enough> allows you to sit on items not typically regarded as seats, e.g. footlockers, trunks and chests

• You can look east (squinting) and it will echo - same for items and a general look

• Look tables - you can use () to echo an emote here, too

• pull quiver - get an arrow from a quiver and wield it in one command

• light <item> <item> to light one flammable item with another - ex: Light lamp candle

• Pagelength <number> - sets the number of lines the game records to your terminal

• count <keyword> <container>

• key <item> <container> - easily see all the variations on one keyword contained

• light <item> <item> - ex: Light lamp candle

• "scan status" tells you whether you are scanning

• look <character>'s <bodypart> - see a tattoo or other feature

• list <merchant> <keyword> - ex: list ugly.merchant pants would show all the pants the ugly merchant has
  • guard status

• drop (<emote>), ~ <arrangement> - ex: drop bag (wincing as it slips from the edge of ~table) contents spilling out onto the floor, ~ lies on its side beneath a small table.

• Sometimes you can look at things from room mdescs, such as murals

• pour <thing containing water> <location> - this can be done in areas that support plant life and will help it, or on light sources, which has a varying effect

• when you're falling and type up it gives you an extra save but drains stun

• steal 1. <target's> pack - steals the first thing in a target's pack

• put <item> <container> - this works for items you are wearing, no need to remove

• buy <item> <merchant> <race> - ex: buy thong Amos half-giant buys a half-giant sized thong. This only works if the merchant has an unlimited supply.

• The "exit" command always works, even in low light (although it doesn't give specific info and uses 1 point of stamina)

• Arrange object blah blah ~ blah - ex: arrange chest Sitting here pretty, ~ is filled with flowers. Returns: Sitting here pretty, the plain chest is filled with flowers.

• Shake tent - people inside the tent can see when their tent is shook

• "Stand" breaks hide - useful for if you're not sure if you're hiding

• tell <person> (<emote>) <sentence> - You can do this instead of the say command

• The "taste" command and the "sip" command

• Assess -v <person> is a wonderful way to find out a PC's age and build in comparison to yours for role-playing purposes

• For magickers "alias spells skills magick" will make it so that when you type "spells" you get only your magick skills

• The brief command - It simplifies things, of your choice

• The stop command - Stops and gets rid of any commands in the queue

• You can rent things to the bank, which will give you a ticket in return. You can take your item out again for a 150 coins

• There's a thread "Coming Soon" that details neat stories about the game

• The "Change Objective" command lets staff know what you are doing (and if you are waiting on an important request, if you set it to that)

• "Help teapot" for everything related to teamaking

• Magickers can do "help spell <spellname>" if they know a spell

• You can arm wrestle in some places - help arm wrestling

• You can use brooms to clean sawdust - "clean room broom"

• "Help cage" tells you the commands for cages (there are a few in Zalanthas)

• For the bards in Tuluk - put <charmname> <instrumentname>

• "get <seat> <table>" and "put <seat> <table>" (When the seat is on the floor) - If you are playing a half-giant, just remove a stool to sit at the bar

• "rent time" lets you know how many days you have left before the lease runs out

• Social emotes, such a "nod," are listed here

• pull branch - you can pull bark from branches, or sometimes logs

• The "flip" command can be helpful, sometimes. Apparently the use command is also helpful, sometimes. (vagueness)

• Tdesc - the temporary description command, for wounds, aging without a stat change, and bynner shit all over you

• "behead <unlucky>" - unlucky must be dead first

• The "wiz" command - lists all Armageddon staff, active and retired

• This page tells you what the current staff responsibilities are

• Locdescs - Your PC can get coded scars

• Sometimes bars have "invisible" bar stools in them - you can use "key barstool" to check

• If a tray is too heavy to be held, you can "etwo" it

• Hold staff - For when walking with a staff or cane, and you don't want people mad you're brandishing it

• "List song" displays a list of songs that can be sung by an NPC bard in certain places. Use the "Buy song #" syntax to listen to the NPC sing.

• Typing "stand" removes long descriptions (ldesc). You can also reset your ldesc by typing "change ldesc none", but tying "stand" is shorter.

• You can offer to trade an item for another item at a shop - offer <your item> <their item>

• There is a quaff command for potions

• help map zalanthas - this shows you a map of Zalanthas

• If you have a client, you can alias "look all" to all of the look commands, so one command will look all directions

• pour <container> <container 2> - this works with bags and chests, and is very useful for organizing

• There is an "assist" command for combat, to make sure to help your friend with their foe correctly

• For prompts, %s shows your current position, and when fighting will show who you are fighting

• If a weapon is poisoned, you can unpoison it by going "pour waterskin <weapon>"

• You can "beep" players to get their attention, or check if they are linkdead. Use sparingly!

• pack <mount> - checks for things packed to a mount; pack <container> <mount> - packs item to mount (unpacking too); unpack all <mount> - unpack everything with less
    spam

• You can flip a coin by dropping it and typing "flip coin" - you must be standing to do this. You can flip other "coin" objects with them in your inventory.

• With emoting ( ) comes before your action, and [ ] after

• Flip doesn't work in combat, instead use the "use" command

• Semote is a great command for emoting when hidden/invisible, if what you're doing cannot be heard

• "key ." shows every item in the room you can see, including ones not immediately obvious

• "vis" makes you visible (breaking hide and some spells)

• You can use emotes when packing and unpacking a mount

• "skills <type>" shows you only skills of that type - ex: "skills language" shows you only what language skills you have

• Break bottle - If you are holding a bottle, you can use this command to make a weapon

• Count doesn't work if you're wearing an item; you can use the key command to count it in this case (such as with a quiver of arrows)

• To use an incense burner, drop it in the room, put in the incense, and close the burner. Viola!

• You can use the "craft" command on an item in the room to move it to the top of the room list (you do not actually craft it)

• Using "/n" at the end of your prompt skips to a new line (it makes things less spammy)

• You can use "Weather <direction>" to see what the weather is like in that area (such as outside a tent, or outside a tavern)

• "Land" is a helpful command if you aren't...landed.

• The salvage command lets you get things from items (ie, a cloak can be salvages for cloth scraps)

• If you are writing a bio or tdesc the ".x" lets you make a command outside of it. Ex: ".x say SHUDDUP."

• When you sleep with 0 stamina, you can't wake up until you have almost all of it back

• Rebel - This command immediately removes you from your clan

• When Armageddon is being closed for a reboot and there's a staff announcement for you to log out, you can quit out anywhere

• The "plant" command is the opposite of steal and you can try to put things on people (like spice)

• You can use perfume, booze, spice and poop to change your scent

• You can forage spice now (primarily in silty areas, like the silt sea)

• Shuffle deck reset - refills the card deck and restores all cards to the deck

• Discuss - This is a command you can use with npcs. Ex: Discuss bartender topics

• You can eat food not in your inventory

• You can craft with items not in your inventory. This means items in the room, and can also be used on items sitting on a table.

• The scribble command - You can draw on things, and they fade over time

• Wear <item> on belt - You can wear pouches and waterskins on your belt

• Closing your cloak makes your belt and the things on it hidden (but they can still be stolen)

• You can "title <mount>" to name your mount, and the name stays until it's in a stable. Useful for RPTs.

• You can use the "addkeyword" command to give yourself an alias. Ex: Addkeyword Amos

• You can use emotes when raising and lowering your hood. Ex: raise hood (lifting it up with a sudden jerk) [covering all but ^me chin]

• Not to circumvent code, but if someone is spam brawling and you want to slow it down so you can emote/move away you can "Stand <table>" and it renders them unable to spamhit to show how uber they are.

• You can do "change hands <from> <to>" with the from and to being either your main hand (ep) or your secondary hand (es). This means you don't have to remove each item, and then wield and hold, it's all in this one command.

• You can use the command "change opponent <target>" to change who you're fighting to a new target.

• If you log out with your barrier up, you log in with your barrier up.

• "Contact " (with the space) makes you contact the last person you were in contact with.

• "Nosave combat" will keep you from attacking back, but kicking/bashing/typing kill <target> will start your offense again. Otherwise you will only defend against your attacker. This is useful when sparring fragile newbies.

• You can forage at any time if you can see well enough to do it. Thus, at night when moons are out or if you light bonfires, you may be able to forage.

I will update this list for each new page of the thread. Please consult it before posting, to see if what you're pointing out has already been mentioned! Yes, I have added everything new. If it's not at the end of the list, it's because I added it to a bullet point with a similar topic.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

It looks like there are a few doubleups there, like the "Contact " one, and you spell it "queue" :P
I'm GMT+8, 12 hours ahead of EST.

I was copy/pasting that particular repeat, to make use of the list function at the beginning of it, without needing to re-type. I obviously pasted it twice and then only went over one of the pastes (thus leaving it repeated). I have edited it out.

I also fixed the spelling mistake.

Quote from: Nyr on July 20, 2011, 08:41:27 AM
So you mean that you can forage for food when it's not dark?

Unless things have changed, this may be misleading.

There is no standard way someone can tell if an area is dark, so simply stating that you can forage freely when both the moons are out and the weather is clear should be sufficient.

I would state that most light-based penalties are removed when both moons are in the sky with the exception of looking distance, and is quite a nice feature most people don't really know or take advantage of enough.
Any questions, comments, or condemnations to an eternity of fiery torment?

Waving a hammer, the irate, seething crafter says, in rage-accented sirihish :
"Be impressed.  Now!"

Quote from: Nyr on July 20, 2011, 03:25:37 PM
You can forage at any time if you can see well enough to do it.  That might be better, maybe?

hence the clarification :)
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

Tired of removing the wrong item when wielding/holding an item with a similar keyword as one that is worn? Use these hidden gems instead. No keyword is necessary and they support () and [].

rp - remove primary
rs - remove secondary
rtwo - remove etwo
"Daddy, I barfed in my mouth!"

.s shows what you've written so far in the editor.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

.x lets you do stuff in the editor.

You can change hands without typing "change hands ep es". Change hands does this for you.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: zakattack on July 26, 2011, 03:38:44 PM
Tired of removing the wrong item when wielding/holding an item with a similar keyword as one that is worn? Use these hidden gems instead. No keyword is necessary and they support () and [].

rp - remove primary
rs - remove secondary
rtwo - remove etwo

Duuuude, awesome.

Quote from: Kismetic on July 29, 2011, 12:12:56 PM
Quote from: zakattack on July 26, 2011, 03:38:44 PM

rp - remove primary
rs - remove secondary
rtwo - remove etwo

Duuuude, awesome.
Yeah, this is great!
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Syntax:
   peek <character name>
   peek <character name>'s <item>

Examples:
   > peek azroen

> peek krrx's backpack

Note:
   Anyone can use the peek command if your victim is rendered helpless.
Note that you can still fail, and produce echoes to the room even if they
are helpless.

You can sniff a person or a room.  Try it with food objects, and people - you'll figure out "deodarant" hasn't been invented on Zalnthas. You can also sniff spice, if you are so inclined, and do not wish to have a light pin-pointing your location in the darkness.

Syntax:
   sniff <object>
   sniff <person>
   sniff room

Example:
   > sniff zharal

> sniff templar
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

If you follow someone who is at a bar or table you can hear what's being said there a lot easier!

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 01, 2011, 12:17:12 AM
If you follow someone who is at a bar or table you can hear what's being said there a lot easier!

No shit?

Huh.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Quote from: Feco on September 01, 2011, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on September 01, 2011, 12:17:12 AM

No shit?

Huh.

Very useful for HG's
A staff member sends you:
"Normally we don't see a <redacted> walk into a room full of <redacted> and start indiscriminately killing."

You send to staff:
"Welcome to Armageddon."

You can... er... what was it again!!!!!

Sheath <weapon> back.

Also, "vis" is another command useful for breaking hide. It's confirmed to work!

You don't have to type in the exact amount of coins you want to put away - you can put them all in by typing an amount greater than the amount you have. Eg:

You are carrying:
186 obsidian pieces

'put 444 coins pouch'

You don't have 444 (444) coins, putting 186 coins instead.
You put your pile of allanaki coins into your nifty coin pouch.

or you can type 'put coins pouch' :)

(I, too, remember when you had to use exact change)

Quote from: Delirium on September 13, 2011, 09:31:13 AM
or you can type 'put coins pouch' :)

(I, too, remember when you had to use exact change)

I did not know this. That's pretty handy. I'm always using the "inv" command to check my coin count.

Holy Cow. Who else knew you could look at items while they were on things?
>look bag cot

you'll get a description of every bag on the cot, but still!
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Can I say (maybe again) how much I enjoy that our PCs have coded games to play?
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: Chettaman on September 25, 2011, 12:15:54 PM
>look bag cot

WHAT.
<SanveanArmageddon> d00d
---
[Laeris] (11:52:53 AM): If penicillin started spilling out of your butt, what would you do with it?

Quote from: Samoa on September 25, 2011, 03:39:41 PM
Quote from: Chettaman on September 25, 2011, 12:15:54 PM
>look bag cot

WHAT.
That's new!