Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

Quote from: Drayab on March 01, 2011, 05:47:35 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, if a player only understands the beep as something very IC (i.e. - the grim face of death), then I think tucking tail and running with nary a look back is a reasonable response when you hear a beep and can't even tell where it is coming from. For all they know, it could be an unfamiliar aspect of magik. One could equate it with 'Someone rustles in the bushes nearby' but even more sinister.

I think that is not a reasonable response, as that implies you are reacting to a death you didn't see.
"Brain wave, main wave"
Psycho got a high kick
Collect and select
Show me your best set

Quote from: Synthesis on March 01, 2011, 07:30:12 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 01, 2011, 06:02:43 PM
Moreover, if they literally typed "flee self," they were probably being funny/roleplayish.  "ru;n;e;n;e" is far more efficient amirite.

No, you're not right.  Whoever did that knew exactly what they were doing.

Ahhh.  Helpfile is my friend.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 01, 2011, 11:32:26 PM
Quote from: Synthesis on March 01, 2011, 07:30:12 PM
Quote from: brytta.leofa on March 01, 2011, 06:02:43 PM
Moreover, if they literally typed "flee self," they were probably being funny/roleplayish.  "ru;n;e;n;e" is far more efficient amirite.

No, you're not right.  Whoever did that knew exactly what they were doing.

Ahhh.  Helpfile is my friend.

Wow, that's in the helpfile?  And here I was being obtuse about it....
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

You get the beep when something dies, an IC event. Unless staff say otherwise, it is debatable whether it's an OOC construct to warn the player, and not to be taken as IC.  It's not the first time something like this has come up, because people debate whether keyword is IC or OOC as well.

Who's to say that the beep doesn't represent your character's sense of being in the presence of death? By observation of the reality our characters live in, I think it's a perfectly reasonable interpretation (if fruity).

Do you resist the urge to make your character look if you get a beep during heavy combat? If you think the beep is OOC, then you are taking IC action based on OOC information. You're just as guilty as the guy who typed 'flee self.' YOU HYPOCRITE.

FYI: Don't take me too serious about this derail. I just like to argue.

Taking the "beep" as something IC would make me want to climb through the internet and punch you. Just saying.

Some clients don't even support a beep. Does that mean my choice of client affects my character's "sense of being in the presence of death?"
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

That is silly and you should feel silly.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Drayab on March 02, 2011, 12:43:45 AM
Do you resist the urge to make your character look if you get a beep during heavy combat?

FYI: Don't take me too serious about this derail. I just like to argue.
I sort of do take offense to your arguements. Please start a new thread.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I appreciate being able to forage for food. That s*&t is so much fun!
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Cindy42 on March 02, 2011, 04:01:41 PM
I appreciate being able to forage for food. That s*&t is so much fun!

I also find this perversely entertaining. Especially when it lets you have lines of ants in your inventory - that always leads to emoting fun.
Quote from: Barzalene
Besides if a Jihaen walks in on you, he walked in on you. He can't be too upset if he sees your peepee. He might have a legitimate gripe though if the manner in which you use it isn't subtle.

I really appreciate craft fails which don't end with "you're screwed out of all your work"
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

You can eat food that's not in your inventory.

You can craft items not in your inventory  :-*
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

I think Synth already posted this in this very thread, but if you do "craft x" on something in the room, it moves that item to the top of the item list. This is great for organizing things without the need to pick anything up and redo arranges.
As of February 2017, I no longer play Armageddon.

>Help me helpfile: "it's too late, you're too far gone"
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
̡͌
    l̡̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡
ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ:・゚ KAWAII WAVE!!:,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤KEEP THE KAWAII GOING ¸,,ø¤º°¨ ¨°º¤øº LETS GO KAWAII !¤¤º°¨¨°º¤øº¤ø,,¸¸ø¤º°¨,, ø¤º°¨¨°º

Wear pouch on belt
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: Barsook on March 24, 2011, 08:23:58 AM
Wear pouch on belt

close cloak -> things on the belt are no longer visible

Quote from: hyzhenhok on March 24, 2011, 09:58:31 AM
Quote from: Barsook on March 24, 2011, 08:23:58 AM
Wear pouch on belt

close cloak -> things on the belt are no longer visible

containers and sheaths no one suspects are such. they are godsends, and the demise of many an unwitting player to shadows in the night <3
Quote from: Qzzrbl
THAT MAN IS DEHYDRATING!

QUICK! GIMME A BANDAGE!!

Quote from: Taven on March 23, 2011, 02:42:03 PM
Quote from: Marc on March 17, 2011, 12:44:46 PM

I think Synth already posted this in this very thread, but if you do "craft x" on something in the room, it moves that item to the top of the item list. This is great for organizing things without the need to pick anything up and redo arranges.

After looking, he did, about 15 months ago.  He also mentioned the crafting x bit to rearrange rooms.  But so long ago!  We both get credit for reminding people.  hi5 o/\o

NLT: title to control mount spam.  Even if you don't call your kank Daisy, you can still title it Malekskank.   That way when shit hits the fan and you inevitably get unhitched you don't have four people all switching mounts to get the correct ones when things are right again.  Also helps to aim emotes so you target your splotchy-shelled kank and not Amos' green-shelled kank.  Just remember the title clears when you rent your kank.
Quote from: ZhairaI don't really have a problem with drugs OR sex
Quote from: MansaMarc's got the best advice.
Quote from: WarriorPoetIf getting loaded and screwing is wrong, I don't wanna be right.

Don't want people to call you by your real name? Are you a spy, raider, sneak, or just plain shy? You don't have to have to pull out some random keyword from your sdesc or design your sdesc to give you a code name.

Just use 'addkeyword'.

Want people to call you Tarn?

> addkeyword Tarn
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2011, 02:47:19 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 13, 2011, 02:15:55 AM
Same with throwing someone off a cliff. If I codedly subdued you, emoted dragging you to a cliff's edge, and typed 'throw man west' (while he was subdued) - I would promptly push your silly ass over the edge.

Ha, awesome. I didn't know that throw works on people too.
All the syntax related to Skill_Subdue are as follows:
>subdue <target>                  Self explanatory.
>release <target>                  Releases subdued target.
>release <target> <target>    Releases subdued target to targeted recipient.
>throw <target> <direction>  Releases subdued target towards direction.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 13, 2011, 03:02:50 AM
Quote from: SMuz on April 13, 2011, 02:47:19 AM
Quote from: Gunnerblaster on April 13, 2011, 02:15:55 AM
Same with throwing someone off a cliff. If I codedly subdued you, emoted dragging you to a cliff's edge, and typed 'throw man west' (while he was subdued) - I would promptly push your silly ass over the edge.

Ha, awesome. I didn't know that throw works on people too.
All the syntax related to Skill_Subdue are as follows:
>subdue <target>                  Self explanatory.
>release <target>                  Releases subdued target.
>release <target> <target>    Releases subdued target to targeted recipient.
>throw <target> <direction>  Releases subdued target towards direction.

I had a character that used to make common use of the last bit in the Labyrinth. I found it more fun for both parties than just straight out killing them.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Walk into a room. 'key .'. Those shelves that like to hide themselves without any mention in the roomdesc are now revealed for you to be looting.