Neat little things

Started by fourTwenty, November 16, 2008, 10:14:13 PM

Something I was doing today reminded me of something I could add to this list, which I added a long time ago:

>shake tent

You shake the tent, and folks inside can see it. Great for mercenaries who want to wake up their oversleeping fat merchant employers, or the next shift for guard duty. This might not work on every tent in the game, but for a lot of PC purposes it should work.
Tlaloc
Legend

Oh, yar!

I fucking love this command.

>stand

When you are not sure that you are still hiding.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

Quote from: Tlaloc on December 17, 2008, 06:03:47 PM
Something I was doing today reminded me of something I could add to this list, which I added a long time ago:

>shake tent

You shake the tent, and folks inside can see it. Great for mercenaries who want to wake up their oversleeping fat merchant employers, or the next shift for guard duty. This might not work on every tent in the game, but for a lot of PC purposes it should work.

Heh. On the first trip outside of the city for one of my first PC's, someone did this.  One of the Wyvern officers inside the tent said it was a mantis,  though he knew it was some Bynner screwing around, and my PC believed him. My PC told the story for months afterward of how a mantis had shook the tent.

Yeah... great command!
Quote from: J S BachIf it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

Quote from: jcljules on December 14, 2008, 03:32:42 PM
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

I use this for Armageddon--like notepad, but tabbed. Sooo useful.

Also, there is KeyNote.  Gimf totally turned me on to this.  If you like organizing your character information and so on, this one is really easy to use.  Take a tip from Gimf, the Queen of Data.  It's good stuff.
"Last night a moth came to my bed
and filled my tired weary head
with horrid tales of you, I can't believe it's true.
But then the lampshade smiled at me -
It said believe, it said believe.
I want you to know it's nothing personal."

The Chosen

When writing down PC's don't just do name and sdesc  -- jot down a few features from the long description as well.  It will add to RP when your PC goes to describe someone.
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I took me over five months of playing to discover:  tell person (adverb) sentence

Up until a few days ago, I was constantly typing:  say (to ~person, adverb) sentence

So humiliating.

Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

Quote from: Thunkkin on December 31, 2008, 08:07:44 PM
I took me over five months of playing to discover:  tell person (adverb) sentence

Up until a few days ago, I was constantly typing:  say (to ~person, adverb) sentence

So humiliating.

If it makes you feel better it took about six months before anyone bothered to tell me that  emote verbs ~target's noun. wasn't proper syntax, and that I should be using emote verbs %target noun.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

So humiliating.

I'm aware of the 'tell' command. And I still never use it. Preferring to include the person in my emote somehow.

Quote from: Dar on December 31, 2008, 09:01:32 PM

So humiliating.

I'm aware of the 'tell' command. And I still never use it. Preferring to include the person in my emote somehow.

When people do that it makes me think they are n00bs, no offense meant. The say command is for when you're not really addressing anyone, or when you need to address a group of people. Tell is for DIRECTLY talking to someone. That's just my opinion though.
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

Shrug. Think what you like. I'd like to think, that this forces me to emote somehow, every time I speak. Which isnt so bad.

taste & sip
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

Observing room descriptions can lead to the discover of shelves, hearths, closets, desks, and beds. All of which are good storage spots against burglars since they don't always catch them all. Also, I've found quite a few unique, hidden spots before solely on clues on in-room item descriptions.

Assess -v <person> is a wonderful way to find out their age and build in comparison to yours for role-playing purposes.

Using @ in an emote makes it more complex
       ex. emote Lifting ^@ hand slightly, @ looks around the room, annoyed.
             will produce: Lifting his hand slightly, the tressy-tressed, muscular man looks around the room, annoyed.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I know a neat little thing...

If you meet me in game, you will absolutely love me.

Err, regardless, if you are a magick user, type in "alias spells skills magick"

Then, when you type spells, it will show JUST your spell list, and none of your skills. If this was done before, suck it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: tortall on January 01, 2009, 12:49:19 AM
Quote from: Dar on December 31, 2008, 09:01:32 PM

So humiliating.

When people do that it makes me think they are n00bs, no offense meant. The say command is for when you're not really addressing anyone, or when you need to address a group of people. Tell is for DIRECTLY talking to someone. That's just my opinion though.

I was unaware there was a 'correct' way to emote and say. Thanks.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Do whatever the hell you like. It's your style of play, not anyone else's.

Sometimes it looks better, grammatically and stylistically, to use the 'say' command, regardless of who you're addressing.

emote using the bathroom OUTSIDE
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

For the record, I think Tortall is referring to things like this:

To you, the gray man says, "Hey."

as opposed to this:

The gray man says to you, "Hey."

I don't think she is refering to things like this:

Peering up at you, one bushy eye-brow raised, and stabbing a finger at your gut, the gray man says, "Hey."

There may not be a way to 'correctly' emote, but there are awkward and stuffy things possible with the incorrect use of say, tell, shout, etc.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

brief [all|off|room|combat|ooc|songs|novice]

Brief room has saved me lots of grief, especially when I was just beginning. I wish there was an easy way to look at the nonbriefed room on demand, though. Perhaps by an "Examine room" command, or such.
Quote from: Niamh on September 24, 2009, 02:28:12 PM
Remember, you're never in trouble if you don't get caught!

Quote from: Wyx on June 28, 2009, 07:59:17 PM
Besides, the players know best

Quote from: Xagon on January 02, 2009, 08:24:18 AM

brief [all|off|room|combat|ooc|songs|novice]

Brief room has saved me lots of grief, especially when I was just beginning. I wish there was an easy way to look at the nonbriefed room on demand, though. Perhaps by an "Examine room" command, or such.

l room

Quote from: helpfilesStop     (Control)

This command will purge any commands which have been queued up but have not yet been executed.

Syntax:
    stop

Note:
    This command will not abort the command currently being executed which
    may be in a delay.

Bump.
Quote from: scienceAn early study by Plaut and Kohn-Speyer (1947)[11] found that horse smegma had a carcinogenic effect on mice. Heins et al.(1958)

> rent necklace
   (When used in a Nenyuk bank, this will store the object in their vaults,
and you will be given a claim ticket for the item, which can be presented
when you want to reclaim.  Be aware that Nenyuk charges 100 obsidian for
such a service.)
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

February 27, 2009, 08:28:08 PM #72 Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 08:32:38 PM by Vessol
Quote from: Thunkkin on February 27, 2009, 07:30:58 PM
> rent necklace
   (When used in a Nenyuk bank, this will store the object in their vaults,
and you will be given a claim ticket for the item, which can be presented
when you want to reclaim.  Be aware that Nenyuk charges 100 obsidian for
such a service.)

Whoa. I never knew that, thanks!

Quote from: Chettaman on January 01, 2009, 01:23:15 AM
taste & sip

Two of my favorite commands right there. Love trying new foods and drinks.

Quote from: Ampere on December 10, 2008, 11:43:20 AM
BUMP:

drop bag (wincing as it slips from the edge of ~table) contents spilling out onto the floor, ~ lies on its side beneath a small table.

Wincing as it slips from the edge of a small table, you drop your large bag.
Shown to the room as:
Contents spilling out onto the floor, a large bag lies on its side beneath a small table.

Oh, and so long as it's a save room it will retain the sdesc until you pick it up.

Nice.

emote can be replaced with :
say can be replaced with '

Other MUDs have shortcuts for tell, but can't find one on Armageddon. Wish there was one for tell, talk.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.