Creating Southern Newbie Wildlife

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, November 11, 2008, 10:53:20 AM

There are plenty of snakes around 'Nak and there are animals that can be defeated by newb Rangers. Eventually.

I kinda don't want to see the south changed to much. The desert is a dangerous place, go make friends. Or move your pansy-ass to Tuluk. If you hunt in the south alone you will run away a -lot-, but there are some very NICE benefits to running away a lot.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Personally I'd prefer a bit more danger(ous) southern parts.
Quote from: Fathi on March 08, 2018, 06:40:45 PMAnd then I sat there going "really? that was it? that's so stupid."

I still think the best closure you get in Armageddon is just moving on to the next character.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 12, 2008, 10:12:40 PM
There are plenty of snakes around 'Nak and there are animals that can be defeated by newb Rangers. Eventually.

I kinda don't want to see the south changed to much. The desert is a dangerous place, go make friends. Or move your pansy-ass to Tuluk. If you hunt in the south alone you will run away a -lot-, but there are some very NICE benefits to running away a lot.

QFT.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on November 11, 2008, 02:11:43 PM
QuoteCockroach     (General)

Zalanthan cockroaches are extremely resilient beasts, and can vary in size from that of a human thumbnail to that of an adult scrab. Their chitinous exoskeletons make them rather hard to damage, while their clashing mandibles and hooking claws make them either minor annoyances or serious threats, depending on the size of the cockroach encountered. Cockroaches have a tendency to splatter when struck with a good blow, showering all nearby.

See Also:
    Animal_Life

Thats not a typo.

>drop pants
You do not have that item.

I'm in favor of this, as it's a well known fact that it's easier for certain guilds to start in the north than the south. Maybe that's intentional by the imms, but it seems like if the wildlife was more varied in the south it would open some doors for hunters and the Houses that rely on them.
Amor Fati

I was always under the impression that the south is suppose to be a tougher hunting environment than the north. There isn't enough creatures that spawn there - Theres nothing but rooms of rooms with no animals in them.

>drop pants

Quote from: Yokunama on November 16, 2008, 01:54:13 PM
I was always under the impression that the south is suppose to be a tougher hunting environment than the north. There isn't enough creatures that spawn there - Theres nothing but rooms of rooms with no animals in them.

I was under the same impression. You know, seeing as how IT'S A DESERT.
It's suppose to be barren. The wildlife in it is suppose to be badass, it has to be to survive.

Some of us paid our dues in that desert. Yall pansy-ass hunters need to get on back up to wussy-land(Tuluk). Us real men/women will pay our dues, learn what the Flee command does, and earn the right to do a victory war dance the first time our new PC solos a Scrab.

Cause we earned it.

(I still hate beetles  >:(  overpowered sons of bitches.)
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

There's a difference between more varied and difficulty. For example, is it adding anything to the game world that there's almost nothing to tan in the south?
Amor Fati

Staff, any input on this topic?
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

November 16, 2008, 07:57:22 PM #34 Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:01:03 PM by Bushranger
Quote from: Fnord on November 16, 2008, 03:23:24 PM

There's a difference between more varied and difficulty. For example, is it adding anything to the game world that there's almost nothing to tan in the south?

I do agree that the amount and variety of wildlife in the south is not something that needs to be radically altered to cater for more newbie solo hunters.

I agree that there is almost nothing to tan in the south. I think that all chitin should be processed as well, it isn't tanning but many skills cover things that are similar but different, and I think chitin should be cleaned and processed through the tanning skill just like leathers and furs before it is manufactured into finished crafts.

Edited to add: I think all chitin should be able to be processed with the tanning skill, but I don't think all crafting recipes with chitin should use the processed chitin. Just the middle and higher end recipes.
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 16, 2008, 07:10:49 PM

?Por favor?
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

November 17, 2008, 02:04:43 AM #36 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:20:38 AM by sprucebark
   A ranger possesses two primary abilities: to know where he/she is at
all times and to stalk and kill prey (for food).

Notice the AND kill prey above.

Imagine if every PC was brand new all at once.

Who would you pick to hunt down a carru as a new merchant?
  a warrior with a ranger buddy to skin.

Who would take you from point A to point B?
  A warrior with a ranger buddy in case the weather gets bad.

Who would you pick to hunt jozhal?
an assassin with throw with a ranger buddy to skin.

Who would you pick to get you scrab shells?
  See question one.

I see enough warriors with a token ranger buddy to know its being done.
Rangers used to be the second combat class, with warriors always one
step ahead however and eventually moving into their own realm.  Now
they start off too far ahead and stay there.

Change that.

Quote from: sprucebark on November 17, 2008, 02:04:43 AM
   A ranger possesses two primary abilities: to know where he/she is at
all times and to stalk and kill prey (for food).

Notice the AND kill prey above.

Imagine if every PC was brand new all at once.

Who would you pick to hunt down a carru as a new merchant?
  a warrior with a ranger buddy to skin.

Dude, um wrong. If everybody was new neither one. I've never had a fresh warrior that I thought could take a carru.

Who would take you from point A to point B?
  A warrior with a ranger buddy in case the weather gets bad.

Ranger, if it's a trip we're not fighting anything anyway, we're running. At least the Ranger runs the right way.

Who would you pick to hunt jozhal?
an assassin with throw with a ranger buddy to skin.

A ranger, with archery and sneak.

Who would you pick to get you scrab shells?
  See question one.

Again, neither. NEW PC"S DON"T HUNT ALONE IN THE SOUTH, GO MAKE A DAMN FRIEND.

Change that.

Seeing as how -all- a warrior can do is fight I think this is just fine. Rangers have other (more intelligent) ways of killing their prey. It's up to you as a player to work it out. Your point is not valid in anyway, if you reset every PC to brand new everybody's screwed in the south. If they go ALONE. It's not a warrior with a token ranger buddy. It's a team of people with different skills working in beautiful harmony.

November 17, 2008, 06:35:14 AM #38 Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:38:06 AM by musashi

Change that.

Here's something I always wanted to see with rangers when comparing them to warriors ... I'd like to see rangers be better at fighting creatures, and warriors be better at fighting humanoids. It has always been a bit of sore spot to know that for the purpose of hunting it probably always makes more sense to app a warrior with the hunter subclass (or maybe not even the hunter subclass, since everyone can skin anyway), than it does to app a ranger. Likewise ... I feel a little "meh" about the idea that badass warriors became badass by working their way up from clubbing tregil to clubbing carru.

I sort of feel like warriors should be trained for combat against men, and rangers should be conditioned for fighting the prey they stalk, and I feel pretty confidant in thinking that fighting a gith with a spear or a mantis with a battle staff is a very different experience from fighting a carru, a gortok, or a tembo.

I can't say I know how I'd like to see something like that implemented exactly ... but, to me, it would be awesome and perfect if people wanting to down a silt horror were inclined to find the most badass ranger they could find, instead of the grizzled Byn retiriee.

Likewise, if gith attack, or dwarven slaves seige a city, or you just have a lot of highway raiders (something I'd like to see more of as well) ... you'll want to call a warrior, because they're the ones trained to fight against other weapon wielding, critically thinking enemies.

Mind you, at the higher levels of course I think a warrior should be able to whack a tembo and a ranger should be able to take down a gith, they earned their over all combat prowess, but I don't know ... from the get go, I think it would be neat if rangers were more naturally adept at fighting animals (ie, hunting), and warriors more naturally adept at fighting in actual warfare.
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

They're quiet when they're thinkin'.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Quote from: musashi on November 17, 2008, 06:35:14 AM
I can't say I know how I'd like to see something like that implemented exactly ... but, to me, it would be awesome and perfect if people wanting to down a silt horror were inclined to find the most badass ranger they could find, instead of the grizzled Byn retiriee.

Some of them can make chop-sticks out of warriors. They're out there.

>drop pants

I seduced the daughters of men
And made the death of them.
I demanded human sacrifices
From the rest of them.
I became the spirit that haunted
And protected them.
And I lived in the tower of flame
But death collected them.
-War is my Destiny, Ill Bill

Staff, any could you please give us your input thoughts on this topic?

Fixed.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: musashi on November 17, 2008, 06:35:14 AM
Stuff. Go read the post.

I really like this idea as well. IIRC doesn't the game remember what type of creatures you fight? Such as if all you fight as scrabs then you start really kicking their ass but the first raptor you run into makes you feel stupid (loose example).

I think it would be really neat if rangers got a little bonus against "animals" and warriors against humanoid/halfing/antpeople. Though there are also a few more skills warriors should get but that's a different topic.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 17, 2008, 03:54:20 PM
I think it would be really neat if rangers got a little bonus against "animals" ...
For all you know, this may already be a feature...

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 17, 2008, 03:56:00 PM
I think it would be really neat if rangers got a little bonus against "animals" ...

It could be yeah. But unfortunately I keep seeing things being implemented that I already thought were. If it is IG it needs tweakin' because my last ranger got his ass kicked by a skeet. Repeatedly.

Quote from: fourTwenty on November 17, 2008, 04:23:07 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on November 17, 2008, 03:56:00 PM

It could be yeah. But unfortunately I keep seeing things being implemented that I already thought were. If it is IG it needs tweakin' because my last ranger got his ass kicked by a skeet. Repeatedly.
Heh. S'a good point.

Skeets are six-cord long lizards with six legs. They are reasonably nasty motherfuckers compared to your average hominid.

Adjust your expectations.

Quote from: a strange shadow on November 17, 2008, 04:41:25 PM
Skeets are six-cord long lizards with six legs. They are reasonably nasty motherfuckers compared to your average hominid.

Adjust your expectations.

:-\ Umm.

Okay, I've had Jozhal's kick a rangers ass. Repeatedly.