accents

Started by Abascal, May 17, 2003, 07:00:25 PM

I know there are differant ones, like north south allanaki rinth ect..... but what is actually the differance. Like if I was to speak it outside of the game how would i say other words. would an allanaki havea brittish accent and maybe a person from the rinth a australlian one. or people from the north have a scottish or irish sounding accent. The game says there are different accents, but what are actually the differances?

You can't really say because they aren't speaking English.  You just RP out the accent you think your character has.  For example most of the 'rinthers I've met drop out a starting consonant or two.  But it really doesn't matter.  If I were to hear two people speaking Sirihish IRL, I wouldn't be able to tell if they were speaking different accents at all.

So you really can't say what the accents are since it's not a language we are fluent.  All you have to know is that if you see someone speaking with an accent, "that guy talks funny."

Drunken Salarr, who can tell which part of Georgia, USA someone is from, just by their accent.  (anyone who has lived a good deal of time in GA can do this).
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

That's 'Jowja', DrunkenSalaar!

:twisted:
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I bet that since
    Britians have a British accent
    Australians have an Austrain accent
    Mexicans have a Mexican Accent
    and Americans have an American accent

a south allanaki would have a South Allanaki accent

hopefully undefineable
Veteran Newbie

I'm American and I have a Spanish accent.... there is really no such thing as an american accent due to the fact of the extreme diversity of the nation.

Anyway, a British accent is made by using exaggerated vowels, for example. A Spanish accent is done by simply pronouncing the consonants the way you do in Spanish. See English is spoken from the central part of the voice box (the bridge between the bottom of your chin and your neck) and in Russian words are said all the way in the bottom of the voice box (voice box being where the sound is produced). so a Russian accent would be English pronounced in the bottom section of the voice box(obviously with other changed with the consonants too, but mentioning them would be a waste of space).
Or French for example speaks their language from the tip of the mouth, making their English accent have sound as if it is spoken from the tips of the mouth. (top of the voice box)
so lets assume that the people from allanak have a British sounding accent. Then you can safely say that they speak with exaggerated vowels or a person from lyrs' outpost could have a shiriish accent spoken form deep within the throat, giving a Germanic accent. I know you all are saying "but the language on zalanthas is not English" and this is true but the way 'we' understand it is through English text. So, it would be safe to assume (OOC) that people with a northern accent have a Scottish-sounding accent. I mean it dose not need to say it anywhere within the game, just maybe in the help files.

Quote from: "Abascal"there is really no such thing as an american accent due to the fact of the extreme diversity of the nation

Tell that to someone that's not from America, like a Brit or an Aussie. They'll tell you you're wrong. ;)

In my mind, I can't help but imagine southern sirihish to be comparable to a texan drawl, and northern sirihish to be kind of british. Of course, that's not the way it really sounds in the game, but that's the way it sounds to me for some reason.

Quote from: "Delirium"In my mind, I can't help but imagine southern sirihish to be comparable to a texan drawl, and northern sirihish to be kind of british. Of course, that's not the way it really sounds in the game, but that's the way it sounds to me for some reason.
Exactly! like if they put all that stuff in the help files it would give people a better idea of how acents sound. each accent has its characteristics that can be really relevent in any language.(maybe)

I like the idea of Southern being American, Northern being Irish/Scottish and rinthi being...... Cockney!
"Oy blimey guv'nor, look at that there Bob coming this'a'way!"
"I need to take a gypsie's before I can half-an-inch anything!"

QuoteI'm American and I have a Spanish accent.... there is really no such thing as an american accent due to the fact of the extreme diversity of the nation.

You have a spanish accent only to another american, people from other countries, probly even spain would only notice it as an american accent, For the most part only we can tell the difference between our regional accents, same as people from other countries can tell the difference between thier regional accents...Last time I was in mexico I was told by a native that somebody who was another native had a southern accent, not that I could tell, and the mexicans cannot tell the difference between my accent and any of the canadian tourists...though I find it readily noticable.

Which brings to mind my main point, really, since most northerners in Zalanthas may have never been to 'nak, how is it they know a 'rinthi accent?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quoteso lets assume that the people from allanak have a British sounding accent. Then you can safely say that they speak with exaggerated vowels or a person from lyrs' outpost could have a shiriish accent spoken form deep within the throat, giving a Germanic accent. I know you all are saying "but the language on zalanthas is not English" and this is true but the way 'we' understand it is through English text. So, it would be safe to assume (OOC) that people with a northern accent have a Scottish-sounding accent. I

Hhhmmm, I've always "heard" the northerners as having the british or maybe french sounding accent...probly french. luirs having the germanic or turkish sounding
and nak as either middle eastern or russion.

Just imagine a nakky templar with a russian accent :) it fits perfectly.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Quote from: "X-D"Which brings to mind my main point, really, since most northerners in Zalanthas may have never been to 'nak, how is it they know a 'rinthi accent?

thats a good question and thats why they should define accents as sound instead of location.

Personally, if I'm playing someone that's not from Allanak, I completely ignore the "rinthi" blurb and just act as if my character thinks they've got a strange accent.

My take on it is that the accent-code is an OOC source of information.  If your character has no way of knowing what a 'Rinthi accent sounds like, then you only know that said person is speaking with an accent you've never heard before.