Review?

Started by drunkendwarf, May 17, 2003, 06:20:02 AM

Okay, I realize that the staff here is busy with many things, and I'm quite grateful for it. I love this place, wouldn't even dream of another mud.

Here's my problem...I stumbled across this nifty 'review' flag you can toggle, which when on...is supposed to let the staff know you'd like some tips/comments on your rp'ing. Well, I've had this flag on for 20 days playing time now, and have received a total of ONE comment, which consisted of:

Nice emotes when hunting, I enjoyed watching.

I'm not going to lie. I WANT KARMA. I used to play this mud 6 years ago or so, pre-karma. I've played a defiler (died real quick), a templar (actually lasted a while), a halfling (lived to a ripe old age), a whiran (also fairly long-lived), and several other things....and I've also played the now base classes to death. I want to play something other than that dwarven warrior, elven assassin, or half-elf ranger. I've tried a special app on several occaisions, all of which have been shot down immediately. While I agree that back then my rp'ing may have been weak considering the classes I was meddling with at the time....how am I supposed to know if my rp'ing is developing when I don't get a damn thing for feedback?

If the playerbase is just too much for the immortals to monitor, maybe they should just consider removing the review flag, it's done absolutely nothing for me.

While you wait for better answers, you might take a look at the previous discusion on the topic :)
f time conversions are giving you a head-ache, visit: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/

I wonder if setting your objective to "would like to earn karma please" would be effective?
ou want some raptor fries with that?

Ya know, you -could- just e-mail mud and ask them for your account notes info and any advice they have to offer. That way you'll have some idea of how you're doing. You don't need your review flag on for that.

I would highly recommend, if you haven't already, to have your characters join active clans whenever possible, to increase the chances of being observed by an imm. From what I've gathered, more than a few clan imms actively monitor their clans' PC's, and if they're watching anyhow, and see that your review flag is on...

One possibility is that because of the length of time your account's been around, you're assumed to have a grasp of the game and not need help. And then, of course, imm time is finite.

Also, if it's any consolation, I'm sure if you'd been doing anything wrong, it'd have been brought to your attention.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that the review flag was meant for people that weren't sure of their RP ability and wanted constructive criticism or a general 'how am I doing', not necessarily as a 'give me Karma' thing.   If you think you're a good RPer and want Karma, straight from the helpfiles:

Quote from: "help karma"
- Degree of maturity and responsibility as a role-player, as evidenced by playing roles 'realistically.'

- Knowledge of the game world, and an appreciation of the way in which the various races, guilds, and so on, interact.

- Role-playing skill, as evidenced by role-playing in such a way as to show that they are really involved in the game world, and also enriching the game world for other players.

Joining clans is probably a good way to get your character noticed. Not to mention, if you have this great idea that you just can't wait to put into action, you could always try a special application. It can't hurt.

[edit: totally missed the special apps being shot down, sorry. In that case, why not see if you can figure out WHY they're being shot down, and look to try and improve on that area, etc, and try again later?]

Well, let me set a few things straight.

1) I have not turned on the review flag 'to get karma'. I have turned it on to get feedback and comments on my RP'ing here on Armageddon, because I would like to know when I've hit a particularly good streak of RP, or when something I'm doing is frowned upon by the imms. This will steer me towards good RP'ing, which will in turn (hopefully) bless me with some of that lovely karma.

2) I'm not a twink. I play Armageddon because I love to RP. Gaining karma is NOT the driving force behind me playing...I've currently got a human ranger that I've grown quite attached to, and have absolutely no intention of killing off  just to 'see if i've got any karma'. I'm playing because I DO love the RP, and will continue to play even if I don't get a single karma point in the next 3 years. I do realize that there are PLENTY of possibilites with the base class/races, and I've already got my next character planned out assuming no karma when my ranger finally takes a dirt nap. I'd just LOVE to try something else out for a change, and have no idea if I'm getting close to being able to when I'm not getting any sort of feedback whatsoever. I see absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to try something new, as long as you're not constantly asking yourself 'will this get me karma?' while playing. And trust me, when I'm actually in-game, karma is the last thing on my mind.

QuoteYa know, you -could- just e-mail mud and ask them for your account notes info and any advice they have to offer. That way you'll have some idea of how you're doing. You don't need your review flag on for that.

Well I had no idea we could just ask for our account notes, I'll have to give that approach a shot and see what happens. Thanks!

Also, I'm sorry if I came across angry or anything like that, I'm not whatsoever. I love this place, and am completely grateful to the staff that runs it.