"Spam casting"

Started by Salt Merchant, October 22, 2008, 05:31:44 PM

October 22, 2008, 05:31:44 PM Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:40:05 PM by Salt Merchant
---
Lunch makes me happy.

October 22, 2008, 05:37:02 PM #1 Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:39:39 PM by flurry
Your conclusion is just plain wrong, and putting casting stats up there like that is out of bounds. 
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

October 22, 2008, 05:39:46 PM #2 Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 05:41:56 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: flurry on October 22, 2008, 05:37:02 PM
Your conclusion is just plain wrong, and putting casting stats up there like that is just out of bounds. 

I knew someone would post something like this. "You're wrong", but nothing (no data, no facts) to support it and I'm not allowed to post any facts either.

Posting on the GDB is an exercise in futility. That's it. I've removed the original post and will retire into being an observer of the board now.

Bye.
Lunch makes me happy.

I think that you're misunderstanding what is and is not involved in skill advancement.  I realize that's vague, and I could also be wrong, but I do know that this isn't the place to discuss code.

As someone with fairly little time to commit to the game I do wish that coded progression happened faster.  Unfortunately I also realize that it would mean that characters maxed out more quickly, and that those with high play times would become bored faster. 

Unfortunately I don't have a solution, and suspect that those of us with low play times will always suffer from that one.

One possible solution: Significantly increase the rate that skills rise, but also give absolutely enormous diminishing returns. 

I'd rather not discuss whether any element of that is or is not to any extent currently existing in the code.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

I don't think your approaching this from the same angle as the people who do it/hate it.

EDIT: If you're not wanting to open this to discussion, then why put it on the GDB at all? You can't just state a fact and leave. This is a General Discussion Board.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Salt Merchant on October 22, 2008, 05:39:46 PM
I knew someone would post something like this. "You're wrong", but nothing (no data, no facts) to support it.

That's because I don't keep data on casting, and posting it would be inappropriate if I did. It's never been okay to discuss the mechanics of magick, as far as I know.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

Armageddon is a roleplaying game. The moment you start trying to force "branch" a skill, your verging on the limits of twinking - Turning this from a roleplay into just another game where achieving the more skills is the goal. Which, as we all know, isn't nearly what Arm is about.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofaLaura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on October 22, 2008, 08:44:59 PM
Armageddon is a roleplaying game. The moment you start trying to force "branch" a skill, your verging on the limits of twinking - Turning this from a roleplay into just another game where achieving the more skills is the goal. Which, as we all know, isn't nearly what Arm is about.

emote cheers wildly, clapping and nodding vigorously
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

>backstab fourTwenty
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote from: Archbaron on October 22, 2008, 08:53:42 PM
>backstab fourTwenty

Gurgles and falls to the ground... And then remembers <backstab> is almost impossible to train in any kind of decently RPable manner.
[/derail]

Taking it to the point of knowing exactly how many times I have to fail something before a branch starts becoming possible is real close to a numbers game. Arm is most certainly not a numbers game. And it's twinky.
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

I think too many of you believe that code knowledge trumps roleplay. That's incorrect. Roleplay is a state of mind, and because Armageddon is a game in a coded environment, code knowledge does not have a damned thing to do with roleplay. Roleplay is making your character live a life, and making that life respond to the things that life throws at you in a realistic fashion. Knowing what the code does, or knowing exactly how the code works in no way invalidates your ability to roleplay.

Likewise, wanting your character to excel at coded skills does not lessen your roleplay ability or experience at all. The only factor to pay attention to is letting your quest for code strength override your ability to roleplay. There is absolutely no other situation in which a player should be admonished about being concerned over coded aspects of this game. Only when the quest for code overrides the quest for roleplay should a person be counciled.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 22, 2008, 09:19:19 PM
I think too many of you believe that code knowledge trumps roleplay. That's incorrect. Roleplay is a state of mind, and because Armageddon is a game in a coded environment, code knowledge does not have a damned thing to do with roleplay. Roleplay is making your character live a life, and making that life respond to the things that life throws at you in a realistic fashion. Knowing what the code does, or knowing exactly how the code works in no way invalidates your ability to roleplay.

Likewise, wanting your character to excel at coded skills does not lessen your roleplay ability or experience at all. The only factor to pay attention to is letting your quest for code strength override your ability to roleplay. There is absolutely no other situation in which a player should be admonished about being concerned over coded aspects of this game. Only when the quest for code overrides the quest for roleplay should a person be counciled.

Hello, I just want to say what Venomz just said. Except, he already said it, better than I could have. I'm fine with people who want to know the code, and knowing it. I'm also fine with people who don't want to know, and not knowing it. What I'm not fine, is with people who know it, or think they know it, and lording their knowledge over people who don't know it, or don't want to know it. Or setting themselves up to be somehow superior to other people just because those other people aren't "in on the secret." That just busts my buttons.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Gunnerblaster on October 22, 2008, 08:44:59 PM

You're being snide, but I was actually implying that with more data he might be able to come up with a  more effective way of getting skill ups, and that skill ups were good to have. I also suggested a code change that would allow for skill ups with less boring spamming.
I'm not sure why the attitude is really necessary, but there's been a lot of that going around.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

The crappy part of this game is that you will survive longer and become more powerful the more you are aware of the way the code works. Let's not fool ourselves.

I love playing their mages just for the roleplay but I usually don't want spend the first 15 days with just my first six spells. So it pretty much devolves into spam casting. And apparantly there is a way to spam cast that even makes you branch faster. Not that I know it.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on October 22, 2008, 09:57:55 PM
The crappy part of this game is that you will survive longer and become more powerful the more you are aware of the way the code works. Let's not fool ourselves.

I love playing their mages just for the roleplay but I usually don't want spend the first 15 days with just my first six spells. So it pretty much devolves into spam casting. And apparantly there is a way to spam cast that even makes you branch faster. Not that I know it.

It's a game.
  It'd be a pretty boring one if there was no skill involved on the part of the player. ;)    Sometimes I wonder about you people, the things you get upset about are... odd.

For the record, I completely agree with 7DV.  While I'm sure the OP had the best of intentions, the post (which is gone now) was blatantly against the rules. That was my primary objection to it.

I want to add that I agree with 7DV in principle.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

October 22, 2008, 11:07:24 PM #17 Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 11:28:50 PM by jmordetsky
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 22, 2008, 09:19:19 PM

Yar. TOTALLY Agree. I love reasonable people. I will elaborate on your theory below:

If I can't find anyone to hang out or RP with or figure out something IC to do, I spam cast. There are times when I'm too lazy to even throw in an emote, because I'm fairly certain that other then a few imms who may or may not be watching me and perhaps some unseen players or forces no one is going to read it and I don't care. There is nothing wrong with wanting your character to be the Buff and Tuff Stuff of the Town (I'm copywriting that) .   So if you know deep down that your a responsible player who is here to contribute to the story but your contribution is going to be Buff and Tuff Stuff - go nuts, spam cast and make a big, giant, freaking scary mage and terrorize the world. You'll eventually get bored of that if you're not a twink and play someone weak. I've played very l33t PCs and never (ever) pkilled a pc without giving them some chance.

So - the problem isn't spam casters or spam casting when you are bored and no one is around or even wanting to be l33t. The problem isn't even to the total spam-casters that are chronic code twinks and ALWAYS bad ass - because believe it or not ALOT of these guys and gals bring a lot of value to the game. Even if they are charictures of he-man and gi-joe.

The problem is the DOUCHE-BAGS. And yes this game is full of them - if you're reading this there is a 30-40% probability rate that you are a douche-bag and if you you are a douche-bag you fucking know it.  These are douche-bags that spend their entire living days JUST spam casting for the sole purpose of p-killing your ass. They plan their character backgrounds and personalities around p-killing and twinking. They get hard on killing you. They don't care about RP (even though they think they might) they just want to feel like the biggest swinging dick in the room. These are the guys that get super leet, walk into a room and cast 16 body destroying spells before you even emote. They total should go play WoW.

And then - some of the best players in game have been total douche-bags just because it's so easy to be one.  But - that's why we have Karma.

The moral of joe's ranting story is - I've been listening to this crap for like 10 years and it's so subjective it doesn't matter. So stop fucking crying you little whiny bastards.

I don't know why I read the boards. They make me so mad :)

I'm such a douche-bag.

If you gaze for long enough into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

www.j03m.com

Quote from: jmordetsky on October 22, 2008, 11:07:24 PM

The moral of joe's ranting story is - I've been listening to this crap for like 10 years and it's so subjective it doesn't matter. So stop fucking crying you little whiny bastards.

Absolut Truth. These same arguments were around when most discussion were held on the BBS (In Idaho if I recall correctly) and on every version of the Armageddon forums that have come over the years. The only thing that ever comes from them is to just play your character the way that makes sense for you in Zalanthas.

Bushranger
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.