Hygiene

Started by Tulana, October 12, 2008, 06:13:57 PM

Actually, for the most part Egypt was a highly arid region. Even the areas near the Nile went through periods of having substantially less water than during the wet season when the Niles would flood its banks and deposit rich silts and sediments on the flood plain. And shaving was very common anyhow. Not to mention, there are a lot of areas in Zalanthas that simply aren't run down. Lacking in technology and metal and water I'll give you, but, beyond that, it's mostly a matter of Zalanthas being very primitive. Yes, Allanak is dirt fucking poor, but I think in places like, for example, Tuluk, that it would be much more common for Amos to be squatting with his flint blade, scraping painfully at his chin to try and save face. And even more common for the various tribals. Simply because the lack of hair helped them to keep cool and kept the sand from having as much to stick in.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: Clearsighted on November 25, 2008, 06:54:49 PMThen there are other cultural reasons...Who wants to look more like a perpetually smooth skinned mul or dwarf?

This, actually, is really compelling.

What self-respecting human male would want to look like a stumpy? 
Quote from: Synthesis
Quote from: lordcooper
You go south and one of the other directions that isn't north.  That is seriously the limit of my geographical knowledge of Arm.
Sarge?

I shave without shaving cream and I don't have scars all over my face :P

I think that shaving would be a bit of a skill after they spend enough time on it. It shouldn't be too tough to shave harmlessly with obsidian being as sharp as it is. It's certainly easier than picking a lock or a pocket. Also, beauty has always been about looking unique. If everyone's got a beard, a human without a beard is much more attractive. I'd bet all dwarves secretly have a fetish for long beards.

This game has always intrigued me about being a fantasy game, where most people are actually much uglier than in real life. Being fantasy, you'd expect beauty to be exaggerated a bit, not fussing about how ugly your character would look under the present technology. It's kinda like a futuristic game where everyone has flabby muscles.
Quote from: Rahnevyn on March 09, 2009, 03:39:45 PM
Clans can give stat bonuses and penalties, too. The Byn drop in wisdom is particularly notorious.

Crocodile Dundee
Quote from: fourTwenty on June 11, 2007, 08:08:00 PM
Quote from: Rievroleplay damn well(I assume Kazi and fourTwenty are completely different from each other)

Did you just call one of us a dick?

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 12, 2008, 06:19:40 PM
Water is not rare, it is simply not as easy to obtain as waiting for rain.

use a cup of water to wash up every so often, it can then be used to water your kank
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

Quote from: My 2 sids on December 27, 2008, 10:36:52 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on October 12, 2008, 06:19:40 PM
Water is not rare, it is simply not as easy to obtain as waiting for rain.

use a cup of water to wash up every so often, it can then be used to water your kank beetle.

Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.