Super-Kryl?

Started by drunkendwarf, May 15, 2003, 04:13:03 AM

Well, I can't really give away too much IC info here, so I'll just ask...
Does anyone else think the kryl have gotten to be a bit rediculous?

I haven't seen a kryl in a long while, but if your asking that question it means that most likely, IYO, they are either too easy/simple or to difficult or they have just gotten some silly quality.  Not sure what your asking, but I've never mentioned them on the board before because they don't show up in any of the documentation.  Though 'kryl' shows up in their sdesc so maybe they should get some sort of blurb in the animal docs.
When we found her Marnlee mornin',
Hoofprints walking up her back
There were empties by her war braids
And sixty-five dead carru in a stack.

~ Unknown - Heru Got Runover by a Carru

I think they have too.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

They have definitly gone into the range of sillyness....darn, can't mention more I suppose, but very silly, specialy when an already unrealistic and silly bit of code that has existed and been complained about over and over is added to them.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Yeah, their current combination of abilities definitely makes them "silly".  Not saying they should go away altogether, because there's IC reasons why they are where they are, but I think they've really ruined the area in which they're located.. they could definitely stand to be tweaked a bit.
I hope life isn't just one big joke, because I don't get it.  -- Jack Handy

Most definately overboard.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

I have to agree with Picklehead.  

Surprised the local military hasn't wiped the nest of them out yet.  Been enough deaths now to support such an action.

-DW

I was going to post about this later, but seems as good as any.

I really, TRULY do appreciate Arm's harshness, and I revel in all it's dangers for the most part, always have.  To die a good death is about as fun as anything else you can do in Arm.

That said, I think things which can kill a person, basically regardless of char age/skill, without any chance of escape (basically insta-kill) - should be removed from the game, or at least severely mitigated.

[snip by Savak]

The other that immediately comes to mind would be the post I made on another thread... getting knocked off a cliff by a carru... once again, something that could happen to a veteran char.

I'm not saying that veteran chars should be invincible, but I believe they should at least have a chance to escape [snip by Savak]... unless it's something totally insane like tickling a black-robe templar or something.  It may almost be fun to be killed w/little or no chance of survival by a PC, but not by a mindless NPC which manages by a bad roll of the dice to make your situation inescapable.

Feel free to email the mud account with specific complaints and/or suggestions. The more specifics (including screen captures or logs) the better. I don't think it's anyone's intention that these are dealing out instadeath (if that's the case).

Thanks,
Bakha
ack to retirement for the school year.

Agreed, at least the other animals with one of the same abilities you have to go look for, IE be looking for trouble, not to bad if your killed in that case....pretty sad though when you feel safer facing a bahamet then a kryl.
My current char knows he has a far better chance against the 'met...ugh.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I have to agree as well, kryl have a ridiculously powerful combination of abilities. Flat out ruins going anywhere in the zone they are found in for fear of being slaughtered even if you keep your eyes open and actively avoid them.
My char also would rather be chomped by a bahamet than attacked by kryl, at least you can run away easier. I hope this sin't saying too much, but with the combination of abilities they have, it would make more sense for the creatures to be LONE hunters.

Also, it's pretty obvious that they are too powerful a hunter when they kill nearly everything in the area themselves, pretty unbalanced IMO.

-jhunter
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

I also agree that the Kryl need to be toned down. THey are very good fighters without their special abilities and putting them into just large packs makes them very very dangrous and nearly an instant death to anyone but an uber warrior.

It makes the area basically a suicide mission. And somehow I don't know whether by script or what. The Kryl seem to be encountered very regularly. Even when staying away from their territoy, you can expect a Kryl attack. Even if you are in even numbers with a group of Kryl. Everyone just runs or dies.

I don't think it should be easy, but you have say a 80-day ranger, a 40 day-warrior, a 20 day warrior and a 5 day warrior versus three or four kryl and you just get fucked up like a bunch of one hour newbs, screw that.

I suggest taking away one of their abilities. Either make them stay more to their own territory. Take off one special ability or at least lower how many run in the pack.

There's only one ability in particular that tips the scale into the "unreasonably hard" category, IMHO.  Either remove that, or just make them solitary hunters.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

re: Kryl

This has been brought over to the staff discussion board.  This particular issue has been raised in the past and an update was delegated -- unfortunately it appears no-one has followed up to check on any changes or why they were/were not completed.  Considering this thread, it may have fallen off of someone's priority list.

At any rate, it is being looked at again as we speak, and if you don't see words to the effect of "kryl tweaked" in the weekly update feel free to bug me about it.

Meanwhile I'm going to delete some info from this thread, and replace it with this:

"KRYL BE DANGEROUS.  These apparently intelligent insectoids are known among the scrub-hopping Northlanders to have the ability to inflict a swift, painful paralysis, and to spray a destructive acid short distances.  They are often found in small packs, and individually are sized roughly half that of mantis -- heavier than a dwarf, but shorter & lower to the ground."

Lastly, if you would like to relieve yourself of specific issues regarding them, feel free to email me directly -- I don't promise a response if one isn't asked for, but I'll add it to the list of considerations for any changes made.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Savak wrote:
QuoteKRYL BE DANGEROUS. These apparently intelligent insectoids are known among the scrub-hopping Northlanders to have the ability to inflict a swift, painful paralysis, and to spray a destructive acid short distances

On that note, to my thinking there is a huge gap between "swift" and "instant" .
Now, I know it has been talked about before, but are there any plans to revamp the poison code or at least for paralytics so you do not get the insta-statue.....such and such stings you, your muscles go rigid, you cannot move, I mean the poison has not even had time to make it an inch from injection point and has taken full effect. I know it is zalanthas and that is far from earth, but here on earth the fastest paralytics (which are made in labs) take at least 30 seconds to start working and near 2 minutes to take full effect

Now, I did not really take much issue with insta-statue when that type of poison was very rare, but since it is becoming more common, maybe it is time to take a look at it again?
Lizzie:

We were discussing this last night (my time) -- to say that it's on the plans to be changed would be premature, but the initial impression seemed positive towards the idea.

-Savak
i]May the fleas of a thousand kanks nestle in your armpit.  -DustMight[/i]

Quote"KRYL BE DANGEROUS. These apparently intelligent insectoids are known among the scrub-hopping Northlanders to have the ability to inflict a swift, painful paralysis, and to spray a destructive acid short distances. They are often found in small packs, and individually are sized roughly half that of mantis -- heavier than a dwarf, but shorter & lower to the ground."

Intelligence....paralysis...acid...AND they travel in packs?? You really do have a better chance against a bahamet.

<snip by Savak>