"Thief! Thief!"... *damn again*

Started by Cenghiz, May 14, 2003, 08:29:14 AM

I don't like when all NPC's I attempt to steal from and cover my mistake shout "Thief!". Maybe the whore in the corner would think a horny but poor idiot was trying to satisfy himself by molesting. Maybe that dwarf would kick that rat away before thinking of a thief. That person may look at me and say "Jack? Is that you?" thinking a friend poked him in the ribs, for example. That elven woman may feel a hand on her back, turn back and slap me before starting stabbing me... Or for the city version; maybe I'm in jail for molesting a woman with a few *friends*, not for stealing...
There are too much to do, and sneaking away because that NPC shouted "Thief!" is becoming more and more boring for me.
Is it OK to ignore the NPC's shouting and solo-RP another approtiate behaviour for him/her?
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Well...  if they didn't shout "Thief, thief!!"  what would you do instead?   Continue to molest them?  What if they shouted, "Molester!!  Molester!!"  Would that spare you from the fact that everyone around you would oocly know that there was, in fact, a thief, anyway?  You basically -still- need to sneak away from your failed attempts.  How do you know they're not just waiting for you to try again so they can catch you red-handed?

You could always stick around and help the poor citizen try to find the thief.  :twisted:
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Krelin.... you misunderstood. Of course I'm not  molesting... I'm stealing... But I'm caught my hands on her back. So *she* may think I'm molesting her, I believe.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

In my completely personal opinion, this is covered by the code. If the NPC thought you were molesting them, this would be covered under the "You manage to cover your mistake" section of the code. When you manage to cover your mistake, you may have convinced the NPC (Through virtual squeezing, tripping, drunken staring) that you were trying to molest them and they just batted your hands away. When they yell "Thief" it means that you were unable to convince them that your touches where not meant for their coin purse.

This of course, is my personal opinion and probably in noway reflects the view the staff as a whole. But it's something to consider.

Thanks,
Brix.

But they shout "Thief!" even if you cover your mistake... I just want to learn if I may ignore it to RP a different reaction.

Brixius I think meant if they yell Thief Thief they are CONVINCED that they were attempted to be robbed from. Maybe play out a few situations... like bumping into someone, patting someone down in a sexual manner, or something -before- trying to steal from them. I dont know. You give an inch and they take a mile. If NPCs even give a bit of slack it gets abused. There are already people that will continue to try and rob someone even after they've yelled ten times.

I think its fine as it is.

QuoteIf NPCs even give a bit of slack it gets abused.

You're right. But I think I couldn't tell what I thought. Best would be a demonstration;

>s

Dead End [N]
A blonde elven woman is standing here. <== I'm sure it's NPC and want to play a solo RP

>peek woman

<hung from belt) A forked dagger

>emote slowly moves behind ~woman, then reaches for %woman belt;steal forked woman

You cover your mistake at the last instant.
A blonde elven woman shouts "Thief! Thief!" <== Ignoring this line

>emote Frowning, ~woman turns back and slaps me before she moves away, exclaiming "Ye dirty bastard!" in allundean.

>say -whispering Phew...
>think She thought I was reaching for ass, not for her dagger...
>snicker
>n (stroking his left cheek)

I don't want any code changes or I don't want NPCs' sensing ability decreased or such a thing. I'm just asking if I could ignore that shouting, as we ignore the kick comment when we emoted a knee in the groins. Sorry for my pigeon English.

I guess your way of playing it is alright, though I would say it's borderline to emote someone else's reactions.

I think if the code says she shouts, then she shouts. Personally, I would interpret that as: she guessed that someone was trying to steal from her, but doesn't know who. If it was me, I would try to blend in with the surrounding passers-by, and try not to evince any special notice of the theft victim.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

I appreciate what you're asking and understand the sentiment. Here's the problem:

I think that this line of thinking could lead to unrealistic spam stealing. I'll give an example using your demonstration.

>s

Dead End [N]
A blonde elven woman is standing here. <== I'm sure it's NPC and want to play a solo RP

>peek woman

<hung from belt) A forked dagger

>emote slowly moves behind ~woman, then reaches for %woman belt;steal forked woman

You cover your mistake at the last instant.
A blonde elven woman shouts "Thief! Thief!" <== Ignoring this line

>emote Frowning, ~woman turns back and slaps me before she moves away, exclaiming "Ye dirty bastard!" in allundean.

>say -whispering Phew...
>think She thought I was reaching for ass, not for her dagger...
>snicker
>think I bet I can try it again and get away with it again!
>steal dagger woman

repeat

repeat

repeat

Halaster the Shroud of Death arrives in a puff of smoke.

Halaster the Shroud of Death says in sirhish:
     "What exactly are you doing??"

>ooc I was roleplaying it out! She never really suspected me of thievery!
ack to retirement for the school year.

Thats all well and good Bakha...except, who is going to try and even explain it if Halaster trans' to you and is vis?

ooc Apparently commiting suicide...hhhhmmm,,, Would you mind just killing me with a nice clean steel sword rather then transing me to the middle of the silt sea?

em lifts his head waiting for the sword.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

tell halaster (Hands clasped behind his back, leanin in towards !halaster) You think thats air your breathing?
emote jumps into the air and the world starts to move in slow motion.
emote remains perched in the air for a short moment as the camera spins around in a half-circle before things move back in real-time.
emote As time regains itself, @ kicks out his foot at ~halaster chest sending him through the clay-brick wall behind.
> A phone rings in the distance.
emote runs off.
> disconnect

think Whew

Quote from: "Jenred"Halaster the Shroud of Death says in sirhish:

tell halaster (Hands clasped behind his back, leanin in towards !halaster) You think thats air your breathing?
emote jumps into the air and the world starts to move in slow motion.
emote remains perched in the air for a short moment as the camera spins around in a half-circle before things move back in real-time.
emote As time regains itself, @ kicks out his foot at ~halaster chest sending him through the clay-brick wall behind.
> A phone rings in the distance.
emote runs off.
> disconnect

think Whew

This should go under the thread of:
"Top 10 Signs that the opening of Matrix: Reloaded is only a few days away."
ack to retirement for the school year.