Im alive...im gonna die arent I

Started by bob, May 13, 2003, 02:36:58 AM

Hi im really trieng to be a ranger im alive but im gonna die right I meen I cant survive its impossible!!

The only way I can get my characters to live long is to punctuate my sentances and spell correctly.  Otherwise I die every time, it's a real pain.  Just kidding  :P

It can be difficult, but no where near impossible. With little knowledge I've played rangers that kept to themselves when outside the gates, both in Tuluk and Allanak and got along just fine until I got stupid on an OOC level. I don't know about RS, RSE or Luir's... But from what I've heard it seems the further south you go the harder it gets.

SHRUG. You are surely going to die, sooner or later. I'm just saying it's quite possible to live a long time even without massive ammounts of OOC experience as long as you play your character as someone trying to stay alive.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Bob: I think we're gunna die John
John: We're all gunna die Bob
Bob: I meant soon
John: So did I Bob. So did I

I've never had a ranger last longer than a few days of online time.  heh.
_Every_ time I've died (well, once I was surprised by Gith, but that again was my fault for not watching my arse) it was because either I or my character was being stupid.

Alright, because _I_ was being careless.  :-)  You can survive, but you have to be exteremely careful about everything you do and plan every encounter.  Never fight anything unless its on your terms.  Never get exhausted, see to your basic needs first.

Good luck!
ou want some raptor fries with that?

Its easy to survive anywhere if you think like your character which is hard to do. If -you- the player know that doing something could potentially KILL YOU, end your existance, cease your conciousness as a sentient being you might not do it. I.e. hiking out to the woods of Oregon to hunt with a rifle you only know how to operate a little; hoping to run into only small game but knowing that there are very many things that can kill you.

The same idea is in the game. A 1 hour old ranger venturing out into the wastes to hunt is in a way unrealistic if they are playing a sane person. The character would know that there are very real and almost unavoidable dangers and wouldnt risk it in his inexperienced state because hed be FEARFUL FOR HIS LIFE! But as I said before its hard for people to establish this link with their character. To the player alot of times its just a character, they die, okay make another. Thats why death happens alot.

So yes you will die at the point in your life now if you wish to go out and hunt.
The thing is -should- you be hunting? Knowing full well that you will most likely die? is your character insane? Or lacking common intelligence?
Hope this helps.

I'm posting Anon, so as not to give any specific char info away.

But this post reminds me strongly of my very recent death, and how much Arm has changed recently... for the harder.  At nearly 10 days of playtime, my supposedly-world-wise and getting-pretty-beefy character was knocked off a cliff (which didn't show up as a room-exit) by a mere carru, the likes of which are normally easily dispatched, but now quite lethal I realize, under the right conditions.  Knocked out upon landing, I died an unlamented death.

It's my second extremely bad stroke of luck within the pat few months.  I just want to urge others to beware...  even when you *think* you're being very careful and managing your character in a relatively safe manner, you just never know....

;)

Those particular sorts of deaths are almost nethack-style unpleasant, especially when, as you suggest, you might normally dispatch such a creature with ease.  It would be nice if these sorts of attacks (those who've fought carru/gizhats/etc. and the staff will know what I am referring to) at -least- bothered to consider whether the beastie is sitting, but even moreso considered the target's (some poor bastard fighting on a bluff) skills.  I've "bug"ged this before.

That said, it's almost never a good idea to fight these beasties alone, bluff or otherwise, and almost never a good idea to fight on a bluff, carru or otherwise (what if you have to flee?  You might still discover the unpleasant exit in an unpleasant way).

If it anyone feel better recently I was hit 5 times by an unconcious scrab.
Nearly killed me... now that wouldve been a death to tell about.

"Yeah I knocked out a scrab and then it killed me."

*chuckles* That's my topic, but not much left to live. That's the trick: 50% of your commands must be "l <direction>" or you die. Your stamina's less than one third, you die. Go on a fight when the creature makes you bleed, you may die. Most of the animals have *supa* criticals that cost you 25-30 hp. Become impatient or bored, you die. Hunt a poisonous creature without tablets (why to hunt them anyway?), you die. Forget to draw your weapons and type "hit <bla>;kick", you die. (Never spam two delaying commands at once.)
That's the point, you're right. You die...
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

It's not difficult for a newbie ranger to survive if you're smart and careful.
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

QuoteThose particular sorts of deaths are almost nethack-style unpleasant, especially when, as you suggest, you might normally dispatch such a creature with ease. It would be nice if these sorts of attacks (those who've fought carru/gizhats/etc. and the staff will know what I am referring to) at -least- bothered to consider whether the beastie is sitting, but even moreso considered the target's (some poor bastard fighting on a bluff) skills. I've "bug"ged this before.

Yeah. I had a ranger, was fairly new but really quick. Could avoid all of some animals normal gouges, bites, kicks and such.... And it's specialized bash, hit EVERY time... Now, I can see it happening if I was slower, but when I'm faster then this animal and dodging it's attacks, how can I constantly... Like 4-10 times straight, get rolled like that. It seems to be undodgable.

I always understand making NPCs and such the powerhouses that they are... But it should be done within reason and shouldn't use super code to cheat like that... Even if it's avoidable... Seems not to be that easy to avoid, shrug. I like to see them strong stat and skill wise, but not mechanical things that don't ever fail or make a mistake.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I always figured it was more like a maul or trample attempt instead of actually trying to gore you. And you try to get out of the way of a charging moose, heh.
If you're good enough at predicting those sorts of attacks, and/or use the right type of defense, you -will- have a chance at avoiding them. I've had characters that have not only dodged charges, but reversed them.
And actually.. the mental image of dying by going flying off a cliff sounds pretty cool. At least you went out with a bang. ;)

Same here, dodged, reversed and more, and have always made sure to be near no cliffs:)

Not a bang, more of a thud, least thats the sound of the last person I heard land from a fall.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I like rangers.  The ability to quit out in lots of places appeals to me.  Also, the ability to live and work by yourself does too.  I had two rangers die with less than 48 hours playing time until I hit a real long lived one.  Some of the advice above is good.  What I found is that if you find a good spot to hunt "safer" things, you can become experienced enough to progress.  The key is to slowly graduate to tougher game.  Joining a group or house helps with the expenses, the key one to me is being able to afford a mount.

Here are some keys to survival:
Be ready to flee at all times
Know how to get back to the city, always
Have enough stamina to make it back to the city, if you cannot, you are too far
Always work on a full stomach and have extra water and food on hand
Use the "look direction" comand every move, such as "look east, look west, etc."
Have a mount, and make sure your mount is not too tired
Use extreme caution when facing new creatures, consult the website for a description
harlie Bucket: Mr. Wonka, they won't really be burned in the furnace, will they?
Willy Wonka: Well, I think that furnace is only lit every other day, so they have a good sporting chance, haven't they?