Magickers and Element related deformities...

Started by I R K00L, May 12, 2003, 09:57:32 PM

Is it something possible to add in our Ldesc for Magickers, to have almost mystical seeming deformities that go hand in hand with their elements?

Like a whiran who's clothes/hair always seem to shift and waver, as if wind is blowing upon them?

Or a Vivaduian(sp:-\) Who's skin seems to shimmer in the light like water?

Krathian who's hair stands straight up on his head, wavering like a fire?

Rukkian who's skin is constantly dirty, dust constantly falling away with movements/ect.

Things like that? I was looking over old AD&D Magick books, where Witches have certain things like that, which help them draw their powers and such, and it might be pretty cool to see a Magicker like that in game, and would definitely make them something to be feared on looks alone, as well as hated like most magickers are suppossed to be.

Seem cool? Or not a good idea at all?

I don't know, it would probably depend on the deformity or effect.  If it's any help, I did once see a Vivaduan who sweated constantly, lots and lots of sweat.  I think he had blue skin too.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

HHmmm...How often did you see him AC?? yes, was a dwarf, best focus ever.....I've noticed that a lot of people manage to incorporate the element into either sdesc or main or both.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Though it's just a personal preference, I have never liked one's element being obvious.  Perhaps it's the predictability, but I would find it a nice change of pace to see Suk-Krath elemenetalists without fiery red hair, for example.  There are also elementalists who wear tattoos and robes of the appropriate color, etc., clearly marking them for what they are.  That's not to say there is anything wrong with this, or even that I find it unrealistic, however, I would find it really inventive to meet someone whom not only are you unaware that they are a caster, but even what element they are.  Why does a sun cleric have to have red hair, or why does a Vivadu cleric have to be serene and have blue eyes?  I'm not trashing these players who do this, I'm just saying what I prefer.

Yeah, I'd like to see a dumpy, overweight Whiran.  After all, if you never need to walk or ride anywhere, what exercise are you getting?  But all the whirans I've seen have been thin, gaunt, willowy, etc.  

Or a diseased looking Vivaduan.  A frail Rukkian.  A serene Krathi.  A brightly lit drovian . . . ok, that one doesn't make much sense.  Um, a drovian who is afraid of the dark?

After all, if you were an unpopular variety of magicker, wouldn't you try to look like a less objectional one?  Maybe buying Vivaduan robes even though you aren't Vivaduan.  Or a Krathi that has some old clothes he uses when casting, so that when he goes out in public his clothes aren't burned and coated with ash from practicing. Some magickers want to look as intimidating as possible, so no one will even dare to think of crossing them, but some magickers will want to look nice, polite, and harmless . . . like Canadians.  Then when you least expect it Pow!  Not that Canadians are planning anything.  No siree.  

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I've seen multiple magicker characters with 'deformities' like you have suggested.  That said, its probably fine to make a character like that, as long as it is reasonable.

As for physical descriptions, it seems to me that there is a trend towards known, ie gemmed, magickers putting these in their descriptions.  After all, everyone knows you are one anyways with a quick look.  Hidden magickers, however, tend to do this much less, from the few I have seen.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

I like to see subtle and even obvious clues to a magicker's element in their main desc; I do it for my own magickers because I think it makes playing them a bit more challenging (especially if they're -trying- to hide their nature).  I certainly don't think it's required though.  I -do- think, though, that as magickers gain in power relative to their element, correct RP somewhat demands displaying some of the stereotypical personality traits...  Krathis have hot tempers for a reason, especially powerful ones...  Whirans really -ought- to be flighty and unpredictable.  Both of these things -can- be played subtly, though, in my humble opinion.  Also, incidentally, I have seen a "diseased" Vivaduan....  I thought that was pretty cool.

As for the powerful/harmless thing...  I think a lot of people slip into the "powerful" RP when they start *getting* powerful...  also, I think a lot of people interpret nonchalance or a casual demeanor as confidence or ego... (This is likely true for magickers and non-magickers alike)...  And I think a lot of magickers like to keep to themselves or establish some sense of mystery (which is difficult when it seems like -everyone- knows precisely what you're capable of), and these may come off as being eloof or arrogant.

Quote from: "Angela Christine"Um, a drovian who is afraid of the dark?

I actually met a drovian who was afraid of the dark.  When I asked them why, their response was somewhat enlightening (an enlightening drovian?  Oh the irony!).  Who would know more about the dark than a drovian (as well as why one should be afraid of it)?

-Myrdryn
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Drovian: You asked WHY I am afraid of the dark!?!?
Myrdryn: Why yes I did.
Drovian: Because I KNOW whats IN the DARK!!!!

Creeper who likes to see magickers somewhat interlinked with their element BEYOND just casting it. Rather in looks or actions. Not always grandly extreme or anything...

Like a pissed of Vivaduan may not act outright most the time, but take his/her time behind the scenes, setting things up for it just to fall apart all the sudden sometime.
21sters Unite!

I read the posts... Now I know why there's karma. My best magick user would be just ordinary. Hmm I need some more brainstorm in my empty skull.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Ordinary is good too. Average people with no ambition or unique qualities are fun to play. Or maybe I just equate easy with fun. I am, after all, an average person with no ambition and no unique qualities.

I would imagine that magickers become more like their element (in looks or in personality) the more powerful they become. If I were to meditate all day on the nature of fire and focus on controlling it with my thoughts or actions, by the end of that day I'd feel pretty fiery. String together six hundred, twelve hundred, or however many zalanthian days it takes to become a skilled magicker, and you've got a whole lot of feeling fiery.

That goes for deformities too. It'd probably take a lot of one element (which, as I understand, aren't that strong alone) to directly affect physical properties. Or maybe rukkians are just dirty because they roll around on the ground and build sand castles.

New clerics (or whatever) to their element may not be so attuned to all the aspects of their power. I'll keep that in mind when I play a magicker, and I think you all should too because I'm not wrong.
Dig?

This also relates to the cantrip effects.
Someone might become so deft with manipulating the winds to their will that they inadvertantly cause a nearly unpreceptable breeze to constantly linger about them.
An Elkrosian might be so intuned with natural energy that some lingers in his eyes, giving a glow or glint.
A Vivaduan might try to cool themselves by constantly working at keeping a misty sheen on their skin.
Over time these might become as inadvertant and involuntary as breathing, or blinking, but I dont think any should be really part of an sdesc at the start, but more donned through time and experience.

Then again more subtle things would be okay, a tousled-haired whiran would be an obvious example, constantly whipping the winds around. A pale drovian (dwelling in darkness afraid of the light) a burnt or tanned krathian. A frizzy haired elkrosian.

Quote from: "House Rising Sun"I would imagine that magickers become more like their element (in looks or in personality) the more powerful they become. If I were to meditate all day on the nature of fire and focus on controlling it with my thoughts or actions, by the end of that day I'd feel pretty fiery. String together six hundred, twelve hundred, or however many zalanthian days it takes to become a skilled magicker, and you've got a whole lot of feeling fiery.

I dunno, after a long day of flipping burgers I didn't want to see another damn burger.  I can just see a Krathi going home mutter, "If I have to see one more damned spark I'm going to scream!"   :twisted:

Angela Christine