Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 202448 times)

MeTekillot

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3200 on: March 01, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »
Dark triumph by Robin LaFevers
Haven't read this but +1
(Hi Barsook!)

Read Fight Club again. Chewing on Damned now, and also reading Survivor, both by Palahniuk.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

boog

« Reply #3201 on: March 01, 2019, 05:04:30 PM »
I've been reading The Empress of Rome series with someone I adore and it's been really enjoyable. I'd say that so far, book 3 is the best of the series. 1 is second place, and the 2nd book was pretty abysmal. But Man, Empress of the Seven Hills is totally making up for how horrible its predecessor was.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #3202 on: March 01, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »
Mother Horse Eyes is a series of Reddit comments made over the course of a year that, when combined, form a novel with many complicated sci-fi and horror plot threads. It’s some of the best free fiction I’ve ever read.

dammit fathi
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "This ain't no city, grebber!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

Fathi

« Reply #3203 on: March 11, 2019, 07:55:50 AM »
Mother Horse Eyes is a series of Reddit comments made over the course of a year that, when combined, form a novel with many complicated sci-fi and horror plot threads. It’s some of the best free fiction I’ve ever read.

dammit fathi

IT'S SO GOOD THOUGH!
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

boog

« Reply #3204 on: March 11, 2019, 08:43:26 PM »
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

Fathi

« Reply #3205 on: March 13, 2019, 04:13:01 PM »
Apparently Boog and I are sharing a mood ‘cause I just grabbed that one from the library.

Also this:

And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Akaramu

« Reply #3206 on: March 21, 2019, 01:24:51 PM »
I'm surprised no one mentioned this when I asked for post-apocalyptic recommendations a while back! It's better than King's The Stand imo (especially the pacing) and really gripping so far. And also really dark / realistic. Recommend.

boog

« Reply #3207 on: March 22, 2019, 11:04:01 AM »
Apparently Boog and I are sharing a mood ‘cause I just grabbed that one from the library.

Also this:

SoA is gonna make you weep. I was a dribbling baby by the end of it, even though WE ALL KNOW HOW THAT STORY ENDS.
There is only one boog.

Refugee

« Reply #3208 on: March 22, 2019, 01:12:05 PM »
Just started Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series.

Nile

• Oz Election Watch
« Reply #3209 on: April 17, 2019, 12:59:36 AM »
Nietzsche by Heidegger cuz I'm a masochist like that.
Free your hate.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #3210 on: April 17, 2019, 06:41:27 AM »
Red sister by Mark Lawrence

Cind

« Reply #3211 on: April 18, 2019, 11:07:35 AM »
Barnes and Noble is generally for rich people, but I found a complete set of Shakespeare's plays (minus his poetry and two prose works) for eight dollars in a large, pretty hardcover, and a book with lots of crisp pictures about the major religions for about the same price.

There was a hardcover version of Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, illustrated with pictures, for fourteen dollars and now I'm kicking myself for not getting it.

I don't know what it is, but a book with nice pictures is just the coolest thing lately to me.

Stephen Hawking isn't the kind of guy to read when you're tired. You need your brain to understand what he's saying.
Playing something new could be just what you need!

lordcooper

« Reply #3212 on: May 03, 2019, 05:26:25 AM »
I need a new series.  Bonus points for hitting as many of the following as possible.

Dark-ish tone but not exclusively doom and gloom
Low fantasy
Complete or being released at a steady pace
Celtic or ancient Egyptian vibe
Decent mix of action and political/social scenes
Focused more on individuals than the big picture
Multiple viewpoints
Some sort of unique hook
Minimal Mary Sues
Not the Black Company
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3213 on: May 03, 2019, 07:07:09 AM »
Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chonicles?

On Blaze's reccomendation, I am reading  the Broken Empire series. On book 2 now. Wacky, brutal stuff.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

lordcooper

« Reply #3214 on: May 03, 2019, 10:07:41 AM »
Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chonicles?

On Blaze's reccomendation, I am reading  the Broken Empire series. On book 2 now. Wacky, brutal stuff.

Cheers, just ordered them :)
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #3215 on: May 03, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
I just read the whole Crazy Rich Asians series. It was like a Mean Girls guilty pleasure reading.
     "Bad move, fool!"

mattrious

« Reply #3216 on: May 09, 2019, 05:04:55 PM »
Looking for a good book/series for someone who loves A Song of Ice and Fire along with the Kingkiller Chronicle. Please throw a suggestion or two at me. Thanks!

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3217 on: May 09, 2019, 05:46:11 PM »
Looking for a good book/series for someone who loves A Song of Ice and Fire along with the Kingkiller Chronicle. Please throw a suggestion or two at me. Thanks!

Gentleman Bastards.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Medena

« Reply #3218 on: May 09, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay but particularly The Sarantine Mosaic which is a two book low fantasy series set in a world/time loosely based on the early days of the Byzantine Empire.
Quote from: J S Bach
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

triste

« Reply #3219 on: June 02, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »
Because I feel trashy for what I posted in what are you currently watching, I wanted to mention Fooled by Randomness by Nassim Nicholas Taleb is one of the best books I have read in the last year, and his theories on randomness and how they play into politics and the market are so completely (and unfortunately) applicable in f--ed up world we currently live in. The deterministic nature of a lot of reporting and even scientific methods are utterly fallacious as he convincingly lays out in that book. As someone who works with machine learning / algorithms I wish avenues like risk engineering were more often explored because many machine learning algorithms can only hope to be descriptive, imitative, and narrowly specialized.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #3221 on: July 12, 2019, 12:52:30 PM »
I'm listening to A Grown-up Guide to Dinosaurs and reading Living in the Tenth Century: Mentalities and Social Orders. Aka I'm on a nonfiction kick right now.
     "Bad move, fool!"