Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 176424 times)

Tiktak

Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3150 on: June 04, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3151 on: June 26, 2018, 08:07:40 AM »

Rivers by Michael Farris Smith

This is a solid book. His writing has a nostalgic, lyrical flow that wonderfully suits the story. Thumbs up.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

PriestlySiren

« Reply #3152 on: June 28, 2018, 02:04:32 PM »
I'm re-reading the Red Rising trilogy. It's so good!
if you aren't supposed to kill players why do they have money on their bodies when they die

Medena

« Reply #3153 on: June 28, 2018, 03:29:10 PM »

I am currently re-reading "The Name of the Wind".  When I am finished that I plan to re-read "The Wise Man's Fear" then, perhaps, I will re-read "The Slow Regard of Silent Things" (all by Patrick Rothfuss).  By then -- maybe just maybe -- the third book in the Kingkiller Chronicle will be out!  *crosses fingers*
Quote from: J S Bach
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3154 on: July 01, 2018, 02:13:28 AM »
I gave up all hope when I saw Rothfuss was doing some sort of haunted stories tv show. Im not going to invest myself in the books if the author himself isn't. Never a single update on the story but he will tell you all about what Con hes going to, what politcs he agrees with, what benifit hes donating to.

In my mind it will never be finished. Pats too busy living his life and thats fine. Do as you please. But dont expect to keep my attention when you cant stay focused yourself.

zeia

« Reply #3155 on: July 01, 2018, 12:13:55 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/KEMV6c 
Hashi's sister sent me this of his, after his death. Only got it a week ago and already halfway through it. Can understand why he took it everywhere with him! It's brilliant! :-)
Reminds me of Zalanthas sooo much!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 12:15:46 PM by zeia »
Pride means nothing when your crawling on the ground.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3156 on: July 10, 2018, 05:01:16 AM »

It's a collection of short stories by Ted Chiang. I think the longest of which is Stories of Your Life, which is the book the movie Arrival is based on. I'm saving that one for last though, as the movie is still pretty fresh, and I wasn't all that impressed with it.

So far I've read Tower of Babylon, Understand, and Division by Zero.

They very thoughtful, interesting stories. Some very neat ideas in them and they're very different from each other. I highly, highly suggest everyone get a hold of this collection of short stories.

If I have a complain it's that some of these first books feel like they're set when they were written (~1990). That makes them slightly dated. But now that those are finished I'll be getting caught up with his newer stuff and I REALLY look forward to it.

Cind

« Reply #3157 on: July 14, 2018, 06:58:51 AM »
Because I can't figure out picture imaging on this computer....

Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand---- a nice beach read about a dead celebrity chef's families coming to a cabin for his will reading

I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong--- all about microbes, especially those on and in animals and people

The Voyage of the Jerle Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks--- I'd forgotten this author existed, but will likely never forget again.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Cind

« Reply #3158 on: August 13, 2018, 03:42:56 AM »
Alastair Reynolds is the best author who was ever born.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3159 on: August 14, 2018, 11:37:04 AM »
Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology (Amazon Audible)

This book is way more compelling than I would have thought for translations of fragmented myths from over 1000 years ago.  Gaiman is also a wonderful narrator.  In the foreword he makes a nod to the comic/MCU interpretation of the Norse gods, but explains how different they are.  Still, I'm always picturing Loki as Tom Hiddleson in my head.

TL;DR - It's always Loki's fault.

manipura

« Reply #3160 on: August 16, 2018, 07:03:56 PM »
https://goo.gl/images/KEMV6c 
Hashi's sister sent me this of his, after his death. Only got it a week ago and already halfway through it. Can understand why he took it everywhere with him! It's brilliant! :-)
Reminds me of Zalanthas sooo much!

...Thatís the book I sent him for Sekrit Santa a couple years ago.

MeTekillot

« Reply #3161 on: August 16, 2018, 07:11:31 PM »
Currently switching between The Prince, the first Black Company book, and Guerrilla Warfare.

Bebop

« Reply #3162 on: August 18, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »

Current haul from Portland, well part of it.  I spent way too much on books in Portland.  Monstress has amazing art, super dark with a powerful female lead and endorsed by Neil Gaiman so I had to get it.  Her Body and Other Parties is a feminist book of short stories with horror themes so that caught my eye.  Started reading it at Powell's and didn't want to put it down so figured that was a good sign.  The latter I started reading last night and found heart breakingly compelling.  Started crying in the first paragraph.  When my dad died I realized how ill equipped I was mentally to handle it and how well meaning society is around it but everyone most seem equally clueless on what to do other than feed you - so I've been consuming much literature on the topic.

Bonus chihuahua for scale outtake.

mansa

« Reply #3163 on: August 18, 2018, 01:32:22 PM »
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/55401.Deadhouse_Gates

Malazan Series, book 2.

Second time through the series.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Insigne

« Reply #3164 on: August 21, 2018, 04:13:14 AM »
I finally read The First Law at my sister's suggestion. I should have picked it up sooner! The entire trilogy struck me as very reminiscent of Zalanthas, particularly nearing the end.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3165 on: August 21, 2018, 09:31:12 PM »
Rereading Temeraire.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Akaramu

« Reply #3166 on: August 22, 2018, 06:01:55 AM »
Sooo, since I am part of the SPFBO 2018 competition I'm planning to read some of my rivals' Fantasy books and should be able to recommend something here and there.  8)

Right now I started reading Symphony of the Wind after reading the assigned blogger's review. So far I agree with the review and really like the book. http://www.fantasybookreview.co.uk/Steven-McKinnon/Symphony-of-the-wind.html

Quote: "To say that itís action packed is a serious understatement, but thereís more than enough space for character development, and certainly enough time to make you fall hard for the people who make up the rag tag group of main POVs. Each time anyoneís in mortal peril it gives you heart palpitations. People die in this world. And some of them stay dead. Itís complicated, with the whole Wraith thing, but trust me when I say that your favourites are in danger."

I love books that make me actually worry about the characters, so I had to buy it. It's really cheap, too (I think 4 bucks) and I can't believe it only has 2 reviews on Amazon! It appears to be one of those seriously underrated, unknown books that really deserve some spotlight.

So far I can say that the world is really interesting. It has Steampunk-esque vibes, with airships (Raincatchers) that fly up to enormous spires to collect rainwater to sell, because apparently water is a highly rated commodity. Unfortunately the spires also seem to attract enormous, near-apocalyptic thunderstorms and people already die in the first chapter. Read along with me!

Akaramu

« Reply #3167 on: August 23, 2018, 06:51:34 PM »
Seriously guys you gotta read this book. Still at 15% but I can already say this is the best thing I've read in years.  :o I'm pacing myself because I don't want it to end.

I can't believe this is the author's first fiction novel. It's destroying every other first novel I ever read. Including ones written by millionselling big names.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 06:58:31 PM by Akaramu »

MeTekillot

« Reply #3168 on: August 23, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
The second Black Company book, The Prince, and Guerilla Warfare. The latter two are... kinda boring, honestly. But I'm learning a lot about keeping hold over a principality, at least.

Bogre

« Reply #3169 on: August 23, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »
Just finished Toll the Hounds as part of my long slow trip through the MBotF.

Also finished John Knowles' A Separate Peace and just started next in line of Iain Banks' Culture series, The Use of Weapons.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Cind

« Reply #3170 on: August 30, 2018, 04:43:24 PM »
I heard The Handmaid's Tale was very good, but I am not one for grittier books, if it has that sort of thing. Thoughts?

If I were out of books to read and could go in for anything but spy thrillers, what would you recommend? (mostly because its fun to recommend books to people.)

crymerci

« Reply #3171 on: August 30, 2018, 05:08:46 PM »
I heard The Handmaid's Tale was very good, but I am not one for grittier books, if it has that sort of thing. Thoughts?

It's a book about sex slavery / institutionalized rape, but it's not graphically violent.
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Cind

« Reply #3172 on: August 31, 2018, 02:58:36 AM »
I heard that... apparently women can have one of six or so roles? And their ability to produce a child is their most valuable asset in life? The summary didn't outright say what happens to them if they are found to be infertile but it doesn't seem like something they can get away with.

Right now I am more than halfway through Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand, which is a notable barrier to me to get more than halfway through a book these days. (Other winners in that category that were actually finished in the last year were Molly and the Cat Cafť and All Quiet on the Western Front.) I'm trying to read the whole Lord of the Rings--- I fell in love with it in a way the movies couldn't make me do, its like the movies, but its got all the details in it. All the lore, the bar chat, the cultural nuances, etc.

Cind

« Reply #3173 on: August 31, 2018, 04:02:52 AM »
Here's to Us by Elin Hilderbrand

My god. I'm starting to become emotionally overwhelmed by how much these people cheat. There isn't an innocent person in this book! Except for Laurel, I think, but I probably just don't remember her particular off-brand of soda.

So I'm interested in African-American literature lately too. I checked out some Richard Wright (I'd once read his Native Son in college, not as part of coursework, but just on its own because it happened to be lying on a library table. Real good book, fairly predictable middle and conclusion with an unusual beginning, with the fact that the main character has dreams of being a pilot, barely scratched at, as though no one, even the man himself, considered himself worthy of the dream.)

I finally found Uncle Tom's Cabin in my collection, and I own Black Boy. Walden's Civil Disobedience will probably make good reading. I doubt I will read everything; I'm lucky if I can finish a movie these days, much less a book or a video game, but I have the interest.

crymerci

« Reply #3174 on: August 31, 2018, 12:00:53 PM »
I heard that... apparently women can have one of six or so roles? And their ability to produce a child is their most valuable asset in life? The summary didn't outright say what happens to them if they are found to be infertile but it doesn't seem like something they can get away with.

It takes place in a near-future where infertility has become widespread and only a small part of the female population can reproduce. Not all fertile women are Handmaids, but if you don't follow the ruling class's ultra-fundamentalist rules you can basically get enslaved as a Handmaid. Handmaids are then assigned to a Commander (one of the guys in power) who has an infertile wife. Then the Handmaid gets the joy of giving up her rape-baby to be raised by her rapist and his accomplice. Fun times!
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.