Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 138835 times)

LauraMars

• Helper
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3050 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:53 AM »
Fucking fuck. I started to read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch last night and the next thing I know it's six am and I'm too buzzed and freaked out to sleep. Don't read this book unless you have eight to ten hours to spare. Jesus Christ.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #3051 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
Years of Rice and Salt was very interesting but wildly overrated. I found a lot of the chapters a chore to get through while others blew my mind. The eunuch in particular was wiiiiild. I might have to read it again.

Everything I've read by KSR (2.3 of the Mars books, Years of Salt and Rice) has been kind of a slog. But I felt virtuous for trying.

Just started rereading the Assassin books by Robin Hobb (Assassin's Apprentice et al). You want to know how long it's been since I read them? I'll tell you: I never ever read volume 2 (just 1 and 3) because the local library didn't have it, I was too impatient for interlibrary loan, and Amazon technically existed but I didn't really have money that I used to buy things.

So I don't even remember what happens in the books I did read, and it's very stressful. Robin Hobb's pretty great.
"You know you've been playing too much Armageddon when you overhear one co-worker say to another, 'Grab your hat and let's go for a walk outside,' and you have this sinking feeling like someone's not coming back from that chat." - Gimfalisette

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3052 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
I am flat ass broke but I neeeeeeed some new reading material.

Anyone have suggestions for some .99 books on kindle?
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3053 on: October 09, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
You could always read free web serials ;)

Or subscribe to Bookbub, Ereader News Today or another one of the lists that advertise 99c bargains daily. They advertise free books, too.

I recommend Nolander as a free book, it's really, really well written. Female MC though, not sure if that's your thing. And it has a certain trope I really, really dislike (would be a spoiler) but otherwise it's great. https://www.amazon.com/Nolander-Emanations-urban-fantasy-Book-ebook/dp/B007R6PPZA

Edit: I should also mention David van Dyke since I proofread for him.  :P Well written, well edited books. Some of them are free (usually the first in a series). https://www.amazon.com/David-VanDyke/e/B008EZHPC4
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:34:40 PM by Akaramu »

lordcooper

« Reply #3054 on: October 09, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »

I read this maybe fifteen years ago and it recently came up in conversation.  This morning I took a train into Cardiff to see if the library had it in stock, and there was a beaten up copy in the storage space above my seat.

Gotta love the little synchronicities in life.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Dahlia

« Reply #3055 on: October 10, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »

I love this book and highly recommend it.  :)
"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Cind

« Reply #3056 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »

The story of a German soldier during WWI. Beautifully written in both content and message, but maybe not for people with PTSD. I'm surprised it didn't give me nightmares. You figure out what happened at the end after you think about it for a while and that makes it one of the harshest endings I've ever seen in a book.

He was a famous author by the time of the third reich, and the reich wanted him to come back to Germany when he left them when they started (presumably to write novels for them.) When he refused, they burned his books, declaring his perspective of soldiers as shattered people to be unpatriotic to the reich, and killed his sister.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3057 on: October 12, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger is a woooonderful first hand account of the Western Front in the First World War. He is different than most writers of the period because.... he kinda liked it. Guy was suicidally brave and an excellent writer. Two WP thumb's up.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...