Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 174481 times)

LauraMars

• Helper
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3050 on: October 09, 2017, 06:02:53 AM »
Fucking fuck. I started to read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch last night and the next thing I know it's six am and I'm too buzzed and freaked out to sleep. Don't read this book unless you have eight to ten hours to spare. Jesus Christ.
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #3051 on: October 09, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »
Years of Rice and Salt was very interesting but wildly overrated. I found a lot of the chapters a chore to get through while others blew my mind. The eunuch in particular was wiiiiild. I might have to read it again.

Everything I've read by KSR (2.3 of the Mars books, Years of Salt and Rice) has been kind of a slog. But I felt virtuous for trying.

Just started rereading the Assassin books by Robin Hobb (Assassin's Apprentice et al). You want to know how long it's been since I read them? I'll tell you: I never ever read volume 2 (just 1 and 3) because the local library didn't have it, I was too impatient for interlibrary loan, and Amazon technically existed but I didn't really have money that I used to buy things.

So I don't even remember what happens in the books I did read, and it's very stressful. Robin Hobb's pretty great.
everything louder than everything else

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3052 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »
I am flat ass broke but I neeeeeeed some new reading material.

Anyone have suggestions for some .99 books on kindle?
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Akaramu

« Reply #3053 on: October 09, 2017, 05:22:28 PM »
You could always read free web serials ;)

Or subscribe to Bookbub, Ereader News Today or another one of the lists that advertise 99c bargains daily. They advertise free books, too.

I recommend Nolander as a free book, it's really, really well written. Female MC though, not sure if that's your thing. And it has a certain trope I really, really dislike (would be a spoiler) but otherwise it's great. https://www.amazon.com/Nolander-Emanations-urban-fantasy-Book-ebook/dp/B007R6PPZA

Edit: I should also mention David van Dyke since I proofread for him.  :P Well written, well edited books. Some of them are free (usually the first in a series). https://www.amazon.com/David-VanDyke/e/B008EZHPC4
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 05:34:40 PM by Akaramu »

lordcooper

« Reply #3054 on: October 09, 2017, 07:44:32 PM »

I read this maybe fifteen years ago and it recently came up in conversation.  This morning I took a train into Cardiff to see if the library had it in stock, and there was a beaten up copy in the storage space above my seat.

Gotta love the little synchronicities in life.
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Dahlia

« Reply #3055 on: October 10, 2017, 03:33:57 AM »

I love this book and highly recommend it.  :)
"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Cind

« Reply #3056 on: October 12, 2017, 05:04:34 AM »

The story of a German soldier during WWI. Beautifully written in both content and message, but maybe not for people with PTSD. I'm surprised it didn't give me nightmares. You figure out what happened at the end after you think about it for a while and that makes it one of the harshest endings I've ever seen in a book.

He was a famous author by the time of the third reich, and the reich wanted him to come back to Germany when he left them when they started (presumably to write novels for them.) When he refused, they burned his books, declaring his perspective of soldiers as shattered people to be unpatriotic to the reich, and killed his sister.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3057 on: October 12, 2017, 06:58:34 AM »
Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger is a woooonderful first hand account of the Western Front in the First World War. He is different than most writers of the period because.... he kinda liked it. Guy was suicidally brave and an excellent writer. Two WP thumb's up.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

stark

« Reply #3058 on: October 25, 2017, 06:43:09 AM »
After listening to probably EVERY Russell Brand podcast EVER, he's been making new ones recently, and one of them is recovery radio, and it's about .... RECOVERY! Despite the fact that drugs and alcohol isn't an issue in my life or the life of my loved ones and close friends, I decided to listen to recovery radio and realized (for the first time, so don't laugh) that the twelve step program really isn't a cult, although I've certainly been to a few meetings where it's some kind of meat market. The idea behind twelve step, aside from the fact it targets alcohol and drug addictions, is something that can be applied to everyone, and can be used to make you into a better person. I'm not so big on the "religious" aspect of it, but it's my own ability to embrace spirituality and leave religion behind that makes it doable for me. So what am I reading?     Russell Brands RECOVERY book. Of course.
What kind of jerkoff shakes a tent in the dark? Go out there and see who or what that is.

Akaramu

« Reply #3059 on: October 25, 2017, 11:34:21 AM »
I just finished reading / watching Muv-Luv Alternative, a visual novel considered a masterpiece by the community. It started slow (like most VNs), the two prequels are kind of meh (I wish I'd just skipped one of them) and some of the twists were a bit predictable, but plenty of other twists hit me right in the feels. I'll always remember this story as the one with the worst OMFG THAT HAPPENED moment I was ever slapped with by any form of entertainment media, period. The way it was executed... too amazing for words.

Remember the movie Starship Troopers? It was inspired by the plot of this VN. The VN is a lot better than the movie, too. In its time, it was considered groundbreaking in many ways.

I'll also award this VN a special prize for portraying what happens when you take a pampered, full-of-himself teenager who thinks he can save the world, and throw him into an ACTUAL WAR. With CREEPY ASS MONSTERS. PTSD is a thing, man, as are (perfectly IC) character screwups and horrific losses.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 11:41:41 AM by Akaramu »

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3060 on: October 26, 2017, 09:46:05 PM »
Wait... Was Starship Troopers not based on Henlein's Starship Troopers?

I jest but yeah. The book is amazing. Read it. On the bounce.

Edit: Oh! And I read Nolander and Solatium. I liked them. I will be waiting for the third. She ends her books in strange places.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:48:14 PM by WarriorPoet »

Akaramu

« Reply #3061 on: October 27, 2017, 07:51:44 AM »
Edit: Oh! And I read Nolander and Solatium. I liked them. I will be waiting for the third. She ends her books in strange places.

I know! And she publishes kind of slowly...  :(

Cind

« Reply #3062 on: October 29, 2017, 12:38:27 AM »

This is beautiful, and can be eaten in snacks. People will be teaching this to kids in universities when we are dead, like they do with Poe now.

I enjoy nonfiction, especially business nonfiction.

I am looking forward to cracking this open, as I read a small portion of the first book of the second series without realizing it earlier. The culture of the main characters has a rough, mystic quality, and reminds me of the Celts.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #3063 on: October 29, 2017, 12:48:21 AM »
I am flat ass broke but I neeeeeeed some new reading material.

Anyone have suggestions for some .99 books on kindle?

Assuming you've already worked your way through all the classic lit? A vast majority of the "must reads" are on the .99 list.
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

TheHandmaid

• My Song
« Reply #3064 on: October 29, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »

I thought my demons were almost defeated, but you took their side and you pulled them to freedom.

Melkor

« Reply #3065 on: December 18, 2017, 11:01:09 PM »
So, my garden needs no more tending for the duration of the winter, until the last frost; this, and overtime opportunities at work are dwindling. I will now have more free-time.
I've neglected dedicated reading for over a year, now, which is embarrassing.
So, I bought myself a kindle paperwhite, and I have 1000+ .mobi books downloaded. I am psyched.

My first six will be:
The Three Musketeers - Dumas
The Lays of Beleriand - Tolkien
The Holy Quran - Al-Hilali & Khan (translation)
The Torah For Dummies (It was the only Torah I could find for free)
The King James Bible
Mein Kampf - Hitler

The theme for these six are, works I have attempted to read at one point or another in my life, and gave up part-ways in, for varied reasons.
The smoothest read of the six will be The Three Musketeers, as the last time I tried to read through it, I was thirteen or fourteen years old; I think I just got bored.
The most difficult read, I believe, will be the Lays of Beleriand; the Lore of Middle Earth poses no difficulty for me, but poems tend to drag out when I read them.
The Torah and the Quran will be accompanied by guiding texts, so I do not confuse intent or meaning.
The King James Bible shouldn't be a problem, save for the leeeeeength.
This brings us to Mein Kampf. My paternal ancestors fled occupied Poland in the early 1900s, and many of my cousins do not exist because we are Jews. I think the ability to experience the mind of a man who was responsible for such unforgivable atrocities is unique, and invaluable - psychologically, sociologically, and historically.

The Kindle Paperwhite arrives on friday. I am very excited.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Pale Horse

« Reply #3066 on: December 19, 2017, 12:25:10 AM »

Mein Kampf - Hitler

This brings us to Mein Kampf. My paternal ancestors fled occupied Poland in the early 1900s, and many of my cousins do not exist because we are Jews. I think the ability to experience the mind of a man who was responsible for such unforgivable atrocities is unique, and invaluable - psychologically, sociologically, and historically.

It may well lead you into viewing some other historical figures in a different light.  Hitler mentions several individuals, cultures and peoples that inspired his work that I had not realized were blatantly and vocally...holding to views with which I do not agree.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Melkor

« Reply #3067 on: December 19, 2017, 12:32:48 AM »
That type of enlightening experience is something of great intellectual value I look forward to experiencing.

Miradus

« Reply #3068 on: December 19, 2017, 01:06:31 PM »

When reading any work of literature, the thing I always find fascinating is that it's not a pond. It's a stream, and you're only drinking from one spot. You can go upstream in time, or downstream and see who inspired who, what came before, what came after.

I've got nothing enlightening on my plate right now. Too much going on to think. Just another Witcher book.

Melkor

« Reply #3069 on: December 22, 2017, 03:42:41 AM »
So I already deviated from my list and started reading The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It is a fantastic book; the horrors described within Soviet Russia and its Gulags are... shocking.
I recommend this book to everyone.

Btw, my kindle was delivered today, broken in the box. Im super bummed.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3070 on: December 23, 2017, 08:22:04 AM »
 I bought Gulag Archipelago after Dan Carlin suggested it. 3 days later I was hollow eyed and kind of staring at the wall. My wife kept asking me "What is the matter?!?!"

Truly a brutal read. Should be mandatory.

Cind

« Reply #3071 on: December 25, 2017, 05:26:14 AM »
I love books like March to the Sea. Trapped on an alien planet and trying to escape? I love that.

Might crack open Pride and Prejudice as well.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3072 on: December 25, 2017, 12:20:57 PM »
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch. Got it for Xmas eve.

It is good. Burned halfway through in a sitting. At first I thought a plot point I sussed out very quickly was going to be a major mystery to the end of the book. But it ends up being solved/explained earlier than I expected. Which is good.

I can't help but be disappointed by the exposition of the science involved.  It's so close to being believable and grounded in real science until it suddenly uses the old techno babble trope, when it could have just been an unexplained mystery.

A minor flaw though.

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #3073 on: December 26, 2017, 07:21:57 AM »
I'm reading Progress and Poverty and 2312 simultaneously, by coincidence. It turns out the pairing works wonderfully, as they both explore so many of the same themes and grapple with the same aspects of the human condition.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3074 on: December 26, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
My oldest son is 11 and has been asking me about getting more in to books.

So I bought him Dragons of Autumn Twilight. I remember looooving it at 10 or 11. He started it, got one chapter in, and lost interest.

So I picked it up and read most of it yesterday. Still great.