Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 138538 times)

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3025 on: June 01, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
Find Your Own Truth by Robert N. Charrette

Kialae

• Publicity Coordinator
« Reply #3026 on: June 01, 2017, 07:36:17 PM »
I'm reading The Master of Mankind by Aaron Dembski-Bowden.

Also a few self-improvement novellas I got from my company's HR department.

Cind

« Reply #3027 on: June 02, 2017, 04:41:52 AM »
David Farland's fantasy books are magical. I started reading the third one from his first series and didn't get it, and am waiting on the first two to arrive at the library. To be honest though I'd like to own them.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Pale Horse

« Reply #3028 on: June 05, 2017, 01:46:46 PM »

Been keen on reading this and just picked up a copy.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

TheHandmaid

• My Song
« Reply #3029 on: June 05, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
I think there's a flaw in my code. These voices won't leave me alone, well my heart is gold and my hands are cold.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3030 on: June 05, 2017, 05:57:36 PM »
Reading Sanderson's Steelheart. So far it's not what I expected, and I'm not sure I like it nearly as much as Mistborn.  :( Mistborn was unique - Steelheart doesn't give me that same vibe. It just feels... standard without twists or surprises, I guess?

Maybe Worm spoiled me in regards to superpowers.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 06:01:55 PM by Akaramu »

TheHandmaid

• My Song
« Reply #3031 on: June 06, 2017, 12:18:43 PM »
I just finished this. The first one was amazing, the second one was just as deliciously violent.

I think there's a flaw in my code. These voices won't leave me alone, well my heart is gold and my hands are cold.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #3032 on: June 07, 2017, 05:59:35 PM »
Still reading The Expanse. On Cibola Burn. This book has been especially great. I think I've enjoyed it the most out of the series. 

Cind

« Reply #3033 on: July 14, 2017, 02:36:36 AM »

I enjoyed this book, 8.8/10. It leaves you with a moderate and satisfying sense of closure after a long period of quiet, underlying tension, the lack of complete closure necessitated by the fact that this is the second book in a trilogy. I always hate when writers leave you hanging on purpose to make you buy the following book. In my mind, if I read the end, I'm obviously in it to win it, and would have bought the next one anyway.

There's one creepy bit (actually, several of them) but one of them stands out to me as something that could have been elaborated on further, happens early, and was ripe for philosophical and social fodder--- but garners a couple of reaction sentences and then it seems to be over. I read the book wondering what Iger was going to do or say about it. After a while, he acts like it never happened. Really, boyo?

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #3034 on: July 14, 2017, 10:24:03 AM »
Rereading all of Robin Hobb's fitz/fool dragon/ship books. The whole series. I'm almost through it all.

Then I will read the third installation in the latest fitz & the fool trilogy and weep when it's over.

I love Bee. She's the snowflakiest of snowflakes and I don't care at all.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Cind

« Reply #3035 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:45 AM »

This one's a 7.4/10 and I briefly debated putting it down for some other time last time I read it. Lots of sexism and... countryism? Which I like. You know, the thing where you think your own people are naturally better than foreigners. The sexism/countryism are more realistic than normal, and consequently rougher. It is the sequel to A Baker's Boy, and is low fantasy as far as I can tell.

This is Wasteland of Flint, which I _think_ is the beginning of the In the Time of the Sixth Sun series. It is an alternate history in which the Japanese reach the Mexica first and the Mexica have domination over the world, even into space. Samurai ethics and Japanese culture, but especially Mexica culture and religious beliefs, abound--- the world is Christian, but everyone also thinks that they live in the time of the Sixth Sun, the sixth world of man, where humanity has died five times.

The point of the expeditions in this and future books (I checked) is to procure and study relics of older suns (i.e. aliens.)

I like it. The slow is moderately slow, maybe a tiny more than that now that I'm halfway through the book, the fear of scary stuff is pretty fearful, it is hard to make me scared from a book--- 8.3/10. If you hate the technicalities of science fiction, there's plenty to hate in this book, as that's most of what this is.

LauraMars

• Helper
« Reply #3036 on: July 22, 2017, 02:42:54 PM »
I love Bee. She's the snowflakiest of snowflakes and I don't care at all.

agreeeed
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A foreign presence contacts your mind.

Cind

« Reply #3037 on: July 25, 2017, 06:59:30 AM »

I love books that go over every tiny detail. The author has a phd in Caribbean history and went to the islands and the surrounding nations to write this book. Fairly well-written, 8.9/10.

Cind

« Reply #3038 on: July 28, 2017, 03:09:34 AM »

I'm a big Crichton fan. 9.3 out of 10. Its not as sciency/mediciney as I would like. The background is corporate and technical, but more corporate. This was published in 1994 so they enthuse about everything going onto cd-roms in the future and how phones no longer weigh fifteen pounds, as well as the language about sexism in the workplace sounding more forceful and exaggerated than it is now (like it really used to sound.) The internet is not in great use, although there is a small amount. People seem to be more excited about cd-roms than the internet.

Without spoiling anything, it is a solid read, although dark stuff is a turn-off for me in more than negligible amounts.

TheHandmaid

• My Song
« Reply #3039 on: August 04, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »

boog

« Reply #3040 on: August 09, 2017, 03:30:50 AM »
Good, quick reads? Suggestions gogogogogo.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Cind

« Reply #3041 on: August 10, 2017, 02:11:35 AM »
I just read Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None and I gobbled it up in a short time. If you like mysteries, it doesn't get any better or shorter.

Bogre

« Reply #3042 on: August 15, 2017, 03:54:25 AM »

I know why its my Mughal studies professor loved this book so much. It's like a tour of Eastern history and philosophy, from the Timurids to the Mamluks, the Manchu and the Mughals, from Buddhism to Sufism to the myriad sects of Islam...highly recommended. I do think it resonates more strongly if you have a good historical background to premodern Middle-East, South Asia, and East Asian history and religion.

Enjoying this a bunch.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

ExtraPlanar

« Reply #3043 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:36 AM »
Picked up a Brandon Sanderson book today because a co-worker in one of my old jobs says he's real good.

I think its the first book in the Mistborn series.

Unoei

« Reply #3044 on: August 22, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »

Just finished.  Excellent.  Truly anxiety provoking!
Collect as precious pearls the words of the wise and virtuous. Abd-el-Kadar

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3045 on: August 23, 2017, 12:18:56 AM »
Years of Rice and Salt was very interesting but wildly overrated. I found a lot of the chapters a chore to get through while others blew my mind. The eunuch in particular was wiiiiild. I might have to read it again.

Currently reading Bismarck: A Life by Johnathan Steinberg. Pretty heavy reading. The story is fascinating and the man ruthless. Fun but I have a hard time keeping track of the insane German names. This is the first book I have taken pen and paper notes on in 10 years.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Insigne

« Reply #3046 on: September 05, 2017, 01:32:34 AM »

I just finished this! Pratchett's imagery is fantastic. Two descriptions that stuck with me:
"stars glittering like dandruff on the shoulders of God."
"The storm walked around the hill on legs of lightning, shouting and grumbling."

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3047 on: September 10, 2017, 11:10:36 AM »
Picked up a Brandon Sanderson book today because a co-worker in one of my old jobs says he's real good.

I think its the first book in the Mistborn series.

That entire series is great, but I don't think all of his books are. His greatest strength is his ability to come up with truly unique settings, histories and magic systems that make sense. I felt that aspect was missing from Steelheart. Still haven't finished that one and probably never will.

p.s. Steelhearts power is something I came up with before I even knew Sanderson existed. Except with glass instead of steel.  :P The powers in that book are so disappointingly cookie cutter.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 11:12:53 AM by Akaramu »

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3048 on: September 12, 2017, 10:52:51 AM »
Started reading Saga and now I can't stop.  >:(

Morrolan

« Reply #3049 on: October 06, 2017, 11:18:58 PM »
Find Your Own Truth by Robert N. Charrette

Awesome.

ETA: Never Trust an Elf!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 11:23:52 PM by Morrolan »
"I have seen him show most of the attributes one expects of a noble: courtesy, kindness, and honor.  I would also say he is one of the most bloodthirsty bastards I have ever met."