Author Topic: What are you currently reading?  (Read 114008 times)

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
Re: What are you currently reading?
« Reply #3000 on: February 26, 2017, 06:10:34 AM »
I was absolutely excited to see it coming to television, then utterly disappointed to learn it was coming to Hulu, which we don't have.

Just stream it on one of those sites.   :P

Zoltan

« Reply #3001 on: February 26, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
I think someone mentioned it already, but I highly recommend Margaret Attwood's "The Handmaid's Tale."

It's a chilling tale and her descriptive language is absorbing and beautiful. I devoured it from start to finish.

I'm reading it for the first time now. Jesus, it's... stark. The book's setting is definitely one of my nightmare scenarios.
Trunk
 hidden by 'body/torso'
 hides nipples

boog

« Reply #3002 on: February 26, 2017, 09:27:02 AM »
I loved Atwood. Handmaid's Tale is good, but it's probably third on my books by her. The first two are, Year of the Flood, and then, Oryx and Crake.

That book was visionary for its time, though, for sure.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Cind

« Reply #3003 on: February 27, 2017, 05:56:29 PM »

The Ninth Talisman by Lawrence Watt-Evans.

This is the second book in a trilogy about a unique world where all things have a spirit, or ler, and some of them have to be appeased. The first book is spoiled, the book ends on a cliffhanger, and I swear this is the rapiest book I have ever read. 9.4/10 for most of it, 9.6/10 towards, during and after the climax. Pretty good.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

boog

« Reply #3004 on: February 27, 2017, 09:40:02 PM »
Can someone recommend a really good post apocalyptic (with or without zombies) book / series that is somewhat 'realistic', as in, characters don't have inch thick plot armor and don't do stupid stuff only to move the plot along?

The girl with all the gifts,

Read it now.

Seconded.

I'm reading it now. It's spooky. You guys are the best.

I finally finished it! I feel like that ending was so abrupt! Blahhh.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
There is only one boog.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #3005 on: February 28, 2017, 08:26:03 AM »
I am multitasking Akaramu's second book and my reread of the Dark Tower.

My wife bought me a really nice hardcover on the Rape of Nanking that is up next. Kind of dreading it.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3006 on: February 28, 2017, 11:11:24 AM »
I finally finished it! I feel like that ending was so abrupt! Blahhh.

It was a good ending, though! Not one of those cheesy Hollywood endings.  :)

boog

« Reply #3007 on: February 28, 2017, 12:05:40 PM »
I HATED IT.

I hope [redacted] is [redacted] by [redacted].
There is only one boog.

boog

« Reply #3008 on: March 02, 2017, 10:51:23 PM »

Finished it, finally, after a few long breaks. I've never actually read a thriller besides Gone Girl, so this was (mostly) new territory! And I really liked it.
There is only one boog.

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3009 on: March 03, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Just bought this after seeing a review for it on my favorite book blog. Can't wait to dig in! I'm having a hard time finding good horror lately.  :(

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #3010 on: March 16, 2017, 08:23:59 AM »
Why did I never read a Sanderson before?  :o

Really liking Mistborn so far.

azuriolinist

« Reply #3011 on: March 16, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
Why haven't you, indeed?!

I enjoyed Mistborn. The Way of Kings is another good one of his, though it might get slow at times (the book is pretty huge).

flurry

« Reply #3012 on: March 16, 2017, 05:26:09 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding good horror lately.  :(

Obligatory recommendation to read Shirley Jackson.
Be the change you want to see in Zalanthas.

Cind

« Reply #3013 on: April 12, 2017, 03:50:32 AM »

Military fantasy. SEALs, specifically. Its one of those books where reading the back spoils some of it for you. I really liked it. I'm going to see if I can't get the second book. The third book comes out on Halloween.

Some spooky stuff, some military stuff, has a few really grisly moments, but realistic ones, that remind you of how bad the things are that some soldiers see. The writing is solid, the fun factor is solid, and I wasn't actually going to buy the sequel (entirely because I'm not into fantasy right now) until I read the ending. Easily one of the best endings to a book I've ever read. The level of plot complexity is not that great, until you hit the ending or near the ending (and some of that depends on how much you were paying attention throughout the novel) but it kind of fits with the whole Everyone is a Footman thing going on. Its not about plot complexity; its about staying on the move, getting off the X, getting all the intel, making tough choices. There's a helpful list of military jargon in the back, too.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3014 on: April 12, 2017, 10:16:53 PM »
Why did I never read a Sanderson before?  :o

Really liking Mistborn so far.

I told you!   ;)

8bitgrandpa

« Reply #3015 on: April 13, 2017, 06:29:51 PM »
Got into a webcomic called Ava's Demon, absolutely adoring it so far!
Patuk, you and 8bit are my favorite.

Dan

« Reply #3016 on: April 15, 2017, 02:32:34 PM »
Very, very patiently waiting for The Doors of Stone. It is the third installment of Patrick Rothfuss' series The Kingkiller Chronicles, and the first book in the series, The Name of The Wind hits its ten year anniversary this year.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Cind

« Reply #3017 on: April 21, 2017, 05:40:50 AM »

Its a 1008 page book and I'm on page 121. The scenes and chapters are short which I like because I get distracted easily/need to put the book down sometimes. Its so evocative of our own world in regards to the war on radical islam that I felt like gritting my teeth at points.

The premise is that Earth has had faster-than-light ships for a while now. They found a planet with life (some of which was obviously designed in a lab to inhibit the proliferation of intelligent life) and colonized it, and either 500 or 1000-ish years later, Terra Nova stands on its own legs, although they don't have spacefaring ships yet. The United Earth fleet doesn't hold much love for their colonized planet at this point and sits in orbit above the planet as a watchdog and mostly as a veiled threat. An almost impossible to surmount caste system is now on place on Earth, where billions of people live in abject poverty, treated badly by the couple of million people on top. On Terra Nova, terrorists and those who support them are widespread.

The Federated States of Columbia on Terra Nova are a relatively free nation that, while populated with extremists, seems to have a brighter present and future than the other groups and countries, if they can survive.

A quote in the front of the book says, "They made a desert; and they called it peace."

---------------------------

I'm always up for a dose of online Claymore reading, too. There's some translating mistakes in it and the first couple of chapters are not well-drawn but its one of those things that once you get into it, you stop your life for a couple of hours "just to read the next few pages."

Barsook

• Helper
    • The Sense of Openness
« Reply #3018 on: April 23, 2017, 02:59:32 PM »
Skindeep my most favorite webcomic.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #3019 on: April 23, 2017, 05:00:13 PM »

For some reason I thought this was an Old Man's War novel.  For some reason I'm glad it's not.  It has enjoyable characters so far.