City tents

Started by Salt Merchant, September 04, 2008, 06:52:58 PM

September 04, 2008, 06:52:58 PM Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:20:31 PM by Salt Merchant
I would like to see Kadius sell an array of "city tents".

These tents would be different from the sort sold for desert travel. They'd be colorful (striped for example) and shaped differently, not really meant to blend in with the sands but instead to be decorative or formal. They'd be significantly heavier that desert tents.

It would be possible to pitch them in the city outdoors as well as outside of the cities.

Merchants could use them as ad-hoc stalls in the bazaar. Nobles could use them when throwing parties. Templars could have decorative pavillions befitting their status when out upon the sands, or when the mood takes them inside the city. Picture a festive gaggle of tents pitched for a temporary gathering such as a city games event.

There could be simple awnings too (like tents without sides).

Yes, I know, it's theoretically possible to specially order them. I don't recall seeing any such thing though save inside the Allanaki warcamp long ago, and certainly not within the city.

Lunch makes me happy.

I would also like to see such items more readily available. There are a few character concepts I've had that I likely would've done if I knew I didn't have to go through any sort of special process to aquire something so simple as "a big ass tent".
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

Kadius offers a variety of pavilion-type tents. They are occasionally used in game by various organizations for various purposes (war-making, major festivals), and have been ordered for such in very recent memory. They do, however, require imm setup at the location of use.

If what you are wanting is smaller, fancyish tents of one or two rooms that can be erected just like regular tents...then perhaps the solution is for someone to master-craft them in order to get them in game. If they are not already. (Never done tent-making myself.)

I'm fairly sure the issue of tents being able to be pitched inside the city is a coded room-permissions issue...I doubt that will be changing.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

September 04, 2008, 07:06:54 PM #3 Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 07:10:57 PM by Salt Merchant
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 04, 2008, 07:00:48 PM
If what you are wanting is smaller, fancyish tents of one or two rooms that can be erected just like regular tents...then perhaps the solution is for someone to master-craft them in order to get them in game

Huge impedence. Huge. Enough to make sure such things are extremely rare at best.

I'm fairly sure the issue of tents being able to be pitched inside the city is a coded room-permissions issue...I doubt that will be changing.

I hope the staff will decide differently. They rarely comment on these ideas, though, I've noticed. Not all that interested, maybe.

Wouldn't it be cool to see a colorful tent city spring up around a wagon for a time during a trade visit to the Tablelands, though? Music and bards' performances and ale tents and the like.
Lunch makes me happy.

Quote from: Salt Merchant on September 04, 2008, 07:06:54 PM
Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 04, 2008, 07:00:48 PM
If what you are wanting is smaller, fancyish tents of one or two rooms that can be erected just like regular tents...then perhaps the solution is for someone to master-craft them in order to get them in game

Huge impedence. Huge. Enough to make sure such things are extremely rare at best.

Not all potential solutions are perfect. But your problem does not have many potential solutions, and it has only this one potential solution which is under your control.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.