Shame (the opposite of bragging)

Started by Halcyon, August 03, 2008, 02:54:48 AM

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on May 13, 2014, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: Barsook on May 13, 2014, 08:21:22 AM
I still have problems with cooks NPC's myself.

Yeah I always have to remember again after a while away from a clan.

So help me Tek I -always- default to 'ask cook stew'.  Every. Single. Time.
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Quote from: Saellyn on May 13, 2014, 06:15:58 AM
ask cook help

ask cook FOOD (ask cook STEW, ask cook BREAD, ask cook STEAK or whatever)

My shame, when I was a new player to Arm, probably my third character in about 2010, was leaving Allanak after my lover had ditched me for someone else. And following the north road.

We all know how that ends.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEE"!

You fall...

Yet another reason why playing the Tablelands rocks.  All the boots from the folks that follow the North Road. Most of the time the gear is poor, but now and again there is something nice. I have some humorous stories, but..no sharing IC info.

*Sigh* Still two more weeks before I can play.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quote from: Norcal on May 13, 2014, 12:44:05 PM
Quote from: Saellyn on May 13, 2014, 06:15:58 AM
ask cook help

ask cook FOOD (ask cook STEW, ask cook BREAD, ask cook STEAK or whatever)

My shame, when I was a new player to Arm, probably my third character in about 2010, was leaving Allanak after my lover had ditched me for someone else. And following the north road.

We all know how that ends.

"EEEEEEEEEEEEEE"!

You fall...

Yet another reason why playing the Tablelands rocks.  All the boots from the folks that follow the North Road. Most of the time the gear is poor, but now and again there is something nice. I have some humorous stories, but..no sharing IC info.

*Sigh* Still two more weeks before I can play.

It must be nice to be able to play a tablelands PC who can leave the tablelands and interact with more than 3 people.

;_;
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Using sexist insults out of laziness. Usually a sign of my waning interest in my RP.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 01, 2014, 07:58:37 PM
Weekly reports are the TPS reports of the game.
Once done with my TPS reports I lack the will to do another batch for bios.

Italis once opened a request for me that basically was like:

Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

So last character I just had was doing fairly well as a ranger. Killing things, skinning things and earning a whole load of 'sids. So one day I decide to hunt a gizhat. It was fighting me a lot, but I was beating it pretty well. I was in poor condition and it was in near death condition. Until suddenly, it charged at me and knocked me in some direction. I got up, and then all the sudden this fucking bahamet comes charging in like the bahamet it is and decides to one-hit me. *BEEP* *mantis head*

If you're fighting anything and you're in "poor" condition, I gotta say son, you are not doing well. You are surviving.

Quote from: MeTekillot on September 01, 2014, 11:45:08 PM
If you're fighting anything and you're in "poor" condition, I gotta say son, you are not doing well. You are surviving.
I always run at 75% health. It keeps me breathing.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

I always run when I see "a kryl that can spit acid has arrived from nearby" because only the most shameless of twinks actually have passable blind-fighting to kill a kryl.

Blind fighting is an intriguing skill to me.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Never branched it.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What's twinky about practising blind fighting,  ie night sparring. I've never understood why it should be bad.  I should be shamed?

I REALLY want to make the blind swordsman now.

Quote from: solera on September 02, 2014, 05:15:08 AM
What's twinky about practising blind fighting,  ie night sparring. I've never understood why it should be bad.  I should be shamed?

Nothing so long as it is done in a realistic way for IC reasons.
Some people think purposefully training skills, for any reason, is twinking.
People train for combat using techniques that hinder them all the time IRL.
(training weights, blindfolding, restriction bands, disabling one arm or the other, etc)

Using the code to hinder yourself in order to get better at something is not twinking.
Taking advantage of code loopholes or abusing the code in an unrealistic or OOC way is twinking.

I always feel like it gives new players the wrong image of our playerbase and "twinking" rules when people brag about having long lived PCs who never use skills.
Some roles don't need coded skills beyond the basics, and that's cool.
Not using skills in your skill list for OOC bragging rights is not cool, and--I like to believe--not the reason people are usually talking about this sort of thing.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 02, 2014, 11:50:02 AM
I always feel like it gives new players the wrong image of our playerbase and "twinking" rules when people brag about having long lived PCs who never use skills.

Everyone uses the Way, so anyone that says their PC used no skills is just fibbing ;)
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 02, 2014, 12:13:20 PM
Quote from: FantasyWriter on September 02, 2014, 11:50:02 AM

Everyone uses the Way, so anyone that says their PC used no skills is just fibbing ;)

I've had two characters that never used contact because they were self-conscious about how bad they were at it. Like a person that doesn't talk because they were self-conscious about their lisp.

Quote from: Narf on September 02, 2014, 12:23:01 PM
I've had two characters that never used contact because they were self-conscious about how bad they were at it. Like a person that doesn't talk because they were self-conscious about their lisp.

You just gotta be the exception, don't you, Narf. Sheesh.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on September 02, 2014, 12:25:08 PM
Quote from: Narf on September 02, 2014, 12:23:01 PM

You just gotta be the exception, don't you, Narf. Sheesh.

I have a compulsive disorder that forces me to respond to all generalizations with a specific exception that does nothing to add to the conversation.

It's a problem, I'm getting help.

Fun factoid. You don't have to be unable to see to train blind fighting.
Quote from: Wug on August 28, 2013, 05:59:06 AM
Vennant doesn't appear to age because he serves drinks at the speed of light. Now you know why there's no delay on the buy code in the Gaj.

Quote from: BleakOne on September 02, 2014, 08:49:45 PM
Fun factoid. You don't have to be unable to see to train blind fighting.

True dat.

Search cripple.

You find a blind man and pick him up.

Drop blind man.

Hit blind man.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

i have, on at least two or three separate occasions, nosave arrested myself and then walked into allanak forgetting i had spice in my inventory. Yeah. that ended well.

I went years thinking that the infamous mantis head that you saw when you died was different than the mantis head you saw upon logging in. It just never occurred to me that when you died you'd be taken back to the opening screen (admittedly this was because I would get bored of a character and store, never actually die).
Clothes make the man.  Naked people have little or no influence in society.
~Mark Twain

Quote from: Evoru on October 11, 2014, 01:57:46 AM
I went years thinking that the infamous mantis head that you saw when you died was different than the mantis head you saw upon logging in. It just never occurred to me that when you died you'd be taken back to the opening screen (admittedly this was because I would get bored of a character and store, never actually die).

I'd like to see a large ascii frowny face in the event of a PC's demise.
Quote from: Nyr
Dead elves can ride wheeled ladders just fine.
Quote from: bcw81
"You can never have your mountainhome because you can't grow a beard."
~Tektolnes to Thrain Ironsword

October 11, 2014, 05:55:41 PM #1123 Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 05:59:01 PM by RogueGunslinger
I'd like to see a long page of nothingness for about 30 seconds, and then log-in screen.

Also, I'm changing my *Beep* to this.

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on October 11, 2014, 05:55:41 PM
I'd like to see a long page of nothingness for about 30 seconds, and then log-in screen.

Also, I'm changing my *Beep* to this.

How about this?
The neat, clean-shaven man sends you a telepathic message:
     "I tried hairy...Im sorry"