Zalanthian size Bugs

Started by FantasyWriter, July 28, 2008, 09:27:20 PM

THere is a show on the history channel right now talking about why bugs aren't as huge as they once were, and what enviromental changes it would take for them to be as large as they were pre-history.

anyway... thought some of you might be intersted.

-FW
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

What is the name of the program?
-- Person A OOCs: I totally forgot if everyone is okay with the adult-rated emotes and so forth?

-- Person B OOCs: Does this count as sex or torture? I can't tell.

-- Person A OOCs: I'm going to flip coins now to decide.

Why are you watching history channel when you could be watching DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK???

Note to self - must build Zalanthan desert sand-sharks.
Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

Not sure. They are on raptors now, and I swear one of the paleontolgists (sp) looks JUST like Dessert Man.  I will post it and try to find the net link for it as soon as I can, I an currently at work.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Rahnevyn on July 28, 2008, 09:35:45 PM
Why are you watching history channel when you could be watching DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK???

l n
[far]
a few trinagular shaped sandstone fins appear to be circling around a sandy-brown inix
[near]
a triangular shaped sandstone fins is headed south towards you very fast!

Grebber - One who grebs.

Prehistoric Monsters Revealed...
No net vids available for this episode. :(
Sorry.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Holy crap, it's Shark Week already!?!?!

Sometimes I really miss not having cable. DAMN.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Blah, I've had enough shark week after one day.  I switched to History channel's Prehistoric Monster's Revealed... some of those terrasaurs are the size of jet fighters.  Sounds like a wyvern or something.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 28, 2008, 10:06:50 PM
Blah, I've had enough shark week after one day.  I switched to History channel's Prehistoric Monster's Revealed... some of those terrasaurs are the size of jet fighters.  Sounds like a wyvern or something.

Glad someone is with me ;)

Been watching shark week for some 20+ year now, lol
Grebber - One who grebs.

At first I thought this thread was going to be about problems resizing things in the game.

Now I am intrigued and will try to watch this program.
Quote from: LauraMars on December 15, 2016, 08:17:36 PMPaint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

OMG! I swear that the have Bahamets on the history channel right NOW!!!!
Grebber - One who grebs.

DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK???

Ugh.  Not shark week again... I swear, it's either that or the deadliest catch which is in
constant marathon mode.

Quote from: Ammut on July 29, 2008, 02:07:29 PM
DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHARK WEEK???

Ugh.  Not shark week again... I swear, it's either that or the deadliest catch which is in
constant marathon mode.
Yeah, nothing ruins a good Discovery Channel day like 14 hours of 3 episodes of Deadliest Catch.
"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
     -Niccolo Machiavelli

I will stab the next person who badmouth's the deadliest catch...I love that show.

Quote from: Cerelum on July 29, 2008, 02:18:08 PM
I will stab the next person who badmouth's the deadliest catch...I love that show.

I do too, but he wasn't exaggerating on the 15 hour of three episodes comment.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Okay.. so let's see some more giant bugs in Arm2.  Giant flying insects, especially... and deadly swarms of mid-sized flying bugs.

Anyone else find it odd that there are tons of snakes in the Known World and none of them are poisonous?
Grebber - One who grebs.

I find it odd that you think that.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 29, 2008, 02:53:32 PM

Toking heavily from a battered spice tube, the grizzled, scruffy Outrider says
to the bright-eyed, baby-cheeked new Fist recruit, in sirihish:
"You're just not gettin' bit by the -fun- snakes, man."
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on July 29, 2008, 02:56:04 PM
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz on July 29, 2008, 02:53:32 PM

Toking heavily from a battered spice tube, the grizzled, scruffy Outrider says
to the bright-eyed, baby-cheeked new Fist recruit, in sirihish:
"You're just not gettin' bit by the -fun- snakes, man."

Good, I have never been so glad to be wrong! :D
Grebber - One who grebs.

Deadliest Catch is pretty awesome.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Also, Zalanthan*.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 29, 2008, 02:28:42 PM
Okay.. so let's see some more giant bugs in Arm2.  Giant flying insects, especially... and deadly swarms of mid-sized flying bugs.

It'd have to rain a lot more to get giant flying insects...unless the Zal evolutionary cycle and method of insect biology is really warped.
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi
Current: Like I'd tell you.

Quote from: Kyviantre on July 30, 2008, 08:52:56 AM
Quote from: Sokotra on July 29, 2008, 02:28:42 PM

It'd have to rain a lot more to get giant flying insects...unless the Zal evolutionary cycle and method of insect biology is really warped.

Heh, uhm, yeah it is already really warped.  I don't think it matters to that degree.  There are already some giant flying insects, just not as many as I would like to see.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 30, 2008, 01:49:49 PM
There are already some giant flying insects, just not as many as I would like to see.

I try to avoid those as much as possible.... but would love some variety.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on July 30, 2008, 02:20:34 PM
Quote from: Sokotra on July 30, 2008, 01:49:49 PM
There are already some giant flying insects, just not as many as I would like to see.

I try to avoid those as much as possible.... but would love some variety.

Exactly... and while I appreciate the "biological reality" discussions, I really don't think that it matters much in this particular instance in this particular game world.

I'm a zoologist, so biology matters to me.  There is suspended belief and there is suspended disbelief, but since everyone has a moment of the latter in whatever their trade is, all will survive.  (Luckily, I haven't seen any giant insects yet...I'm scared of them now!)
Previous of note: Kaevya the blind Tor Scorpion, Kaloraynai 'Raynai' the beetle Ruk, Korenyire of SLK, Koal 'Kick' the hooved Whiran, Kocadici/Dici/Glimmer, Koefaxine the giant Oashi 'Aide', Kosmia 'Grit' the rinthi

Quote from: Kyviantre on July 31, 2008, 08:44:52 AM
(Luckily, I haven't seen any giant insects yet...I'm scared of them now!)

Do war beetles count?  Or did you mean you haven't seen any "flying" giant insects?  Or are you talking about RL?  *confused*

Quote from: Sokotra on July 31, 2008, 10:38:45 AM
Quote from: Kyviantre on July 31, 2008, 08:44:52 AM
(Luckily, I haven't seen any giant insects yet...I'm scared of them now!)

Do war beetles count?  Or did you mean you haven't seen any "flying" giant insects?  Or are you talking about RL?  *confused*

RL Examples

The "largest living insect" according to most scorces:
http://ufbir.ifas.ufl.edu/chap30.htm#titanus

how I picture War Beetles:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_scarabs/images/R_Beet2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.geocities.com/brisbane_scarabs/R_Beetle.htm&h=430&w=600&sz=37&tbnid=QevBPCzyUcMJ::&tbnh=97&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Drhinoceros%2Bbeetle&hl=en&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=2&ct=image&cd=1

Hey Ourla,
You should do a drawing of Zalanthan insectoids like you did with that kick ass Humaniod one.

Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: Sokotra on July 31, 2008, 10:38:45 AM

Flying ones...I don't think my characters would survive long if they fainted 'from the horror' each time they saw a war beetle!

I have not watched the show but I believe the greatest impediment on insects size are the gravity and their circulatory system.  If they processed the oxygen the way mammals do, we could have bigger size insects, and if the gravity is weaker you could have Zalanthan sized ones.
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: Ghost on July 31, 2008, 02:34:39 PM
I have not watched the show but I believe the greatest impediment on insects size are the gravity and their circulatory system.  If they processed the oxygen the way mammals do, we could have bigger size insects, and if the gravity is weaker you could have Zalanthan sized ones.

http://fathom.lib.uchicago.edu/2/21701757/

Only through hard work and perseverance can one truly suffer