Herbalim Idea

Started by , May 05, 2003, 08:01:44 PM

With all the activity, and fun in the North I was thinking of some code that might make a neat addition for people that play up there with the time, and space to do it. Which would most likely be nobility at first, but maybe rich commoners with unsafe plots of land outside the gates.

The code Im referring to is an herbalism/farming type thing. Where with time, resources and care people would be able to grow gardens, plants, trees, and other things growable. At first I would imagine its just things that already grow in the area like ginka, belshun's, numut vines, things like that, and then maybe expand to other things like herbs and trees.

What you'd do is cultivate an area with a proper tool, probably a rake, or a hoe or something to make the nescessary alterations to the ground. This would take a bit of Movement and last a short while. Something like this:
use hoe room
>You set to work cultivating a small plot of ground.
>emote emote emote
>After a short bit of time you cultivate a patch of ground.
Now with the size of rooms it would be unrealistic to assume the entire room was cultivated, but this represents a smaller patch in the room, and basically loads a 'container' item that is placed on the ground and isnt takeable.

With the ground cultivated you'd then plant seeds, bulbs, or whatever nescessary for the plant/crop, something like:
look in plot>
In a cultivated plot of land:
 many small purple seeds

Now it would need to be watered weekly, or naturally I dont know the ecological conditions of the world that allow for growth. And over weeks/months (days and weeks IRL) it would progress along like this:
look in plot>
In a cultivated plot of land:
 many small budding purple seeds

Now assuming the remain unmolested, (thats why I think this would be more suitable for nobles at first in their estates) they will continue to blossum to eventually form a plant. Now assuming its not a harvestable plant like wheat or grain or something it would remain pretty permanently until totally reaped or ruined.

Anyways, thats the outline of my idea. Feel free to comment.

I love it!!! I can hardly wait to have a Warrior/Farmer who has to slash back gith to protect his small blue flowers. Hehe. It would be really expensive though to be pumping out water in the quantities needed. I can see this becoming a northern only type choice. And on that account what do the dry arid fields down south use?
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.  Zalanthas is Armageddon.

Sounds very nice. I'd love to see this implemented, though it wouldn't be high on the priorities list.

Well the water thing brings up my other concerns that seem to be the major perplexities of the world, like how a forest and plant life grow without a constant watering. So Im assuming if they can a garden could, with maybe only a monthly watering.

A couple of things...

Trees are amazingly good at pulling water from deep in the ground.  There is certainly water in Zalantahs.  There's just not a ton of it and its not easy to get to.

As to the farming thing... I would think that reboots could really muck this up.  If you're talking about something that could take weeks to happen you run the risk that a reboot will occur and all of your work will get lost.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I love this idea and I can see so many cool things spawning from it.
Dedicate your life to farming, invest in a small plot of land and fence it when you rake in the bucks from your super-ginka fruits. I  could easily live as a farmer.

Great idea!
"People survive by climbing over anyone who gets in their way, by cheating, stealing, killing, swindling, or otherwise taking advantage of others."
-Ginka

"Don't do this. I can't believe I have to write this post."
-Rathustra

these pockets would have to be some sort of quit-safe room. I love it though :D