-Not- Limiting Magickers

Started by Desertman, July 15, 2008, 12:52:42 PM

I have created a thread for all of you posters who feel the need to post on this topic.

Please do not derail the "Limiting Magickers" thread further. This is a humble request and I have went so far as to make you your own thread to post your views and ideas where they will not derail the constructive and positive nature of the "Limiting Magickers" thread.

My thanks in advance for your polite consideration on the issue.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Thank you. I'm at the point now where I think that perhaps FJ had a good idea when he suggested an adjustment to the karma tree.
I think the magicker types capable of doing "one shot kills" should be moved farther up the tree to cut their numbers down a bit. They should also get some basic skills added in the mundane department so they can actually do some things without having to use their magick for -everything-. As it is right now, that's pretty much the case. Without using their magick, most magickers cannot survive even minimally.
The current magick system is beautiful. I think it's near perfection. It's my belief that it will make some of the people that dislike magickers or feel that their mundane pcs have become insignificant in plots (even though I strongly disagree that this is true) to have some of the staff spend some time reworking mundane class skills and progression to streamline them much the way that the magick system has been. I think the creation of many more additional mundane skills and tweaks to the way they work would improve this perceived uselessness. But, people need to get the idea out of their heads that magick is supposed to be balanced with the mundane. It makes sense that using magick to accomplish certain things should be faster/easier than using mundane means. But there -are- and should be more things that skilled mundanes can do that someone who primarily has had magick on their side, would not be able to do.
As someone said in the other thread, when playing a magicker there are times I was envious of some mundane classes abilities to do certain things I was incapable of.
Quote from: Fnord on November 27, 2010, 01:55:19 PM
May the fap be with you, always. ;D

July 15, 2008, 01:05:20 PM #2 Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:07:45 PM by Desertman
I whole heartedly agree with most of what Jhunter has posted.

I am definantly in favor of seeing magickers become more powerful than they are. I want to actually fear them for more reasons than just thier ability to drop one spell and blow me to bits.

I would also definantly be in favor of seeing them have more "other skills".

If they had some other skills, I might be able to play next to them and never "know" they were a magicker because they can "also" do "This, this, and this", which is mundane in nature.

I love the fact that magickers are super powerful, I wish they were more "super powerful" to the point that I literally want a code to have to be implemented where when I see one I can type...

Shit Brick

And I get an echo like

You see the  magicker and shit a huge obsidian brick.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I think that, the virtual world considered, it really -would- be difficult to -need- to restrict the number of mages. Aren't there supposed to be overwhelmingly vast amounts of people in both citystates? If so, even if every single player on here played a mage at the same time, wouldn't magic still be extremely rare in the overall world, vpopulation taken into account? I would like to see other interesting little things that I think could add flavor to the game added in. Like for instance small areas in say, the rinth and undertuluk where the filth of society are, where there are places for magickers to hang out to get small story-based RP, like for instance your vmother is dying of crotchrot, but you know you can go talk to x-mage about it and they can make you some sort of charm or cure. Sure its small, but it gives the chance for magickers and mundanes to interact on a level that seems realistic to a thinking person. Sure they're filthy waggling dogs, but I don't want to see Ma die, and the like.

Also, this being a game, I am inclined to say people should be able to play as many mages as they want to, especially if they have shown the responsibility it takes to perform to the staffs standards of what a mage should be. And I have every confidence that if staff -really- thought it was getting out of hand, they would impose some sort of restriction. After all, an imms perspective is certainly a bit less biased than that of an individual player, with the restriction of experience that players often have.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

Quote from: AmandaGreathouse on July 15, 2008, 01:45:31 PM
I think that, the virtual world considered, it really -would- be difficult to -need- to restrict the number of mages. Aren't there supposed to be overwhelmingly vast amounts of people in both citystates? If so, even if every single player on here played a mage at the same time, wouldn't magic still be extremely rare in the overall world, vpopulation taken into account? I would like to see other interesting little things that I think could add flavor to the game added in. Like for instance small areas in say, the rinth and undertuluk where the filth of society are, where there are places for magickers to hang out to get small story-based RP, like for instance your vmother is dying of crotchrot, but you know you can go talk to x-mage about it and they can make you some sort of charm or cure. Sure its small, but it gives the chance for magickers and mundanes to interact on a level that seems realistic to a thinking person. Sure they're filthy waggling dogs, but I don't want to see Ma die, and the like.

Also, this being a game, I am inclined to say people should be able to play as many mages as they want to, especially if they have shown the responsibility it takes to perform to the staffs standards of what a mage should be. And I have every confidence that if staff -really- thought it was getting out of hand, they would impose some sort of restriction. After all, an imms perspective is certainly a bit less biased than that of an individual player, with the restriction of experience that players often have.

Completely RP-use-only, createable items?  No coded ability and/or use?  Documented RP only?

I'd kiss the ground the Staff walk on, if more of these were added in.  I've seen only one arcane ability that is used in such a way, and would enjoy seeing many more added, be they spell-specific, or mundane skills that only Magickers get(i.e. Amanda's "enchanted" charms, and poultices).

The idea of a hard-coded spell that does nothing but give a short message for RP potential has been brought up, before.  It's been called any number of names, but I favor "Curse".

On a(n) (extra) side note (main point of the OP), I'm one of those that feels badly for the disillusionment that many profess with the number of magickers IG, while also getting a bit put out with the number of times people bring this subject up, month after month.  After reading the staff responses in the recent "How many magickers are there, IG?" thread in the staff announcements, I get the (non-so-subtle-but-politely-stated) impression that the staff is getting a bit sick of the reoccurring topic, themselves. So, I'm chiming in and stating that I am against putting a hard limit on the number of magickers, but shifting towards a favorable opinion of a partial reworking of the karma system.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.