Dwarven quirks and characteristics...

Started by The7DeadlyVenomz, May 02, 2003, 07:30:47 AM

VENDYRA WUZ HERE

I mistakenly editted this post, rather than quoting it, and ended up clearing its contents.  Can someone please e-mail me a copy if you should have it?  Thank you.

-Vendyra (Vendyra@armageddon.org)
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Hey, me too....though, on this point of how do deal with how much the focus takes up a dwarves mind and wether he/she can do anything without it having to apply, I see it this way, and I doubt anybody is going to say anything different.

The focus for a dwarf is kinda like gravity, (think black hole or white dwarf star, maybe neutron star that type of gravity) it is always there, no matter what he/she does, but sometimes the dwarf can get farther from the center of the source and think of do other things, but he/she will always be pulled back and the less he/she is fighting it (doing other things) the faster and harder the pull.

On others helping on focus, I suppose one could have a dwarf that decided he wanted to carve the perfect dwarf women in a perfect chunk of alabaster.

Likely he would have no problem with people bringing chunks of alabaster, but He is going to do the choosing of which one, he is going to do the carving, he may even make his own tools so that they are just so.

Mine have always been perfectly willing to use others to achieve the goal, at least to a point, often there is a point where he can trust nobody else to handle it properly.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Dwarves might sit some times for hours without talking to others since they're mulling over some aspect of how they're going to achieve their goal.  Other times they'd be brimming with questions - if they meet someone with information that's useful to them.

I do think that dwarves - more than almost any race really - tend to get stereotyped.  The one thing that is certain is their dedication to and obsession with their focus.  Beyond that, I would think there would be happy dwarves, sad dwarves, grumpy dwarves, cheerful dwarves, tall dwarves...  well you get the picture.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I'm not staff, and most people would say I know nothing and not much help, but oh well. Before I get around to answering I'm going to try and keep my little blurb of how I see the dwarven focus short, and it might help alittle.

First, I see the dwarven focus as a natural, instinctive thing. It's not really much different then any other races goals, or plans or anything, it's just magnified. Dwarves don't know they have "focuses" nor does everyone else. Dwarves are just more stubborn in their goals. Lets say a dwarf wants to be the best weaponscrafter ever... There very well could be plenty of humans with that same subconcious idea to be the best craftsman in their field, but I dwarf takes it further. A dwarf may first learn how to use weapons, so he knows if a weapon he makes is good, if it feels right, if it works right. Also those weapon skills well come in handy when the dwarves out hunting for the right materials, although practicing he may use normal materials... When he starts getting good, he's probably only going to want to use TOP OF THE LINE stuff, otherwise his stuff he's making would only be as good as the poorer materials. Oh, yeah, a dwarf isn't likely to give up on a focus, or change focuses or goals like another race would. If a humans having big difficulties becoming a warrior, he may decide to change careers, while a dwarf well likely die trying to accomplish their focus. I'd say it's much similar to how tinker gnomes are compulsive in making things, even if it can kill them and all that. Yeah, good I kept this short. Now on to answering questions.

QuoteDo dwarves express emotion just like humans or less so, and if it is less, then why?

Well, I'm going to say this depends heaviely on the dwarf just like any other case, of how emotional they are, and how expressive of that emotion, and probably would be curved by their foci. If having a big angry outburst, killing two filthy halfers and spending time in jail will hinder something important, you probably won't do it(Kind of extreme example but there you go.)

QuoteHow does a dwarf view their children?

This, is a difficult one. If a child REALLY hinders their focus, I'm guessing they'd probably find someplace to pawn them off, but I'm going to say that it'd have to be a BIG hindrance, and if it's not too bad it'd probably be viewed as another step, or something to give some trouble so they work harder, or don't able to deal better with distractions in the future, so on and so forth. Don't know if that makes sense though.

QuoteHow do dwarves deal with friendships?

Hmm... They most likely have friends like anyone else... But it probably is going to have to do with their focus, I'm guessing very little over all isn't related to a dwarves focus.

QuoteHow do dwarves deal with changes to their focus?

If part of a dwarves focus consists of doing something alone, it'd be my guess that people trying to help them wouldn't be taken well. Sure there well be SOME things that they'd probably get help with... But if it wasn't in their plan then they wouldn't like it, probably be viewed as the people getting in the way, trying to hinder them or something. As for the pregnancy thing...  Depending on how far along they were... If they were just about ready to give birth, most likely they wouldn't be in tip top shape, therefor trying to continue on their focus wouldn't be a good idea because they wouldn't do that good. If they knew they were pregnant but it wasn't a hindrance yet... I'm guessing they'd still go along with it, but I see everyone as doing something similar, as life for the most part isn't too highly valued over all.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

As far as the dwarven children thing: I think that dwarves might well see children as a good thing, since they're a free source of labor and stuff. Also, I don't think it would be unusual for a dwarf to try to shape their child's emerging sense of focus to serve their own focus.

Furthermore, I can also see a dwarf's focus revolving around their child. For example, dwarven parents might be focused on finding a suitable dwarven mate for their child, or on having their child trained by the best in whatever profession, etc. They might try to force their child along a path they've chosen for them.

The child, on the other hand, might start developing urges toward a goal opposite that of their parent(s), creating conflict: i.e. Papa Dwarf wants his daughter to run the family's shop, but she wants to become a mercenary.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Almost all of these questions can be answered here.
Quote from: "The7DeadlyVenomz"Do dwarves express emotion just like humans or less so, and if it is less, then why?
Dwarves express less fear if what is being threatened is not important to their focus.  I imagine they would also be easily frustrated by trivial matters, or being disturbed from thinking about their focus.  Why would a dwarf express less emotion?  Creating a focus can be spurred by emotions of the entire spectrum.  Some noble killed your father as a child, leaving you hurt, betrayed, and furious.
QuoteHow does a dwarf view their children?
As the webpage describes, there can be a temporary purpose or aim to their maintenance focus.  While obsessed, the children of a dwarf can be part of the bigger plan.  It may be years to succeed in reaching your goal.
QuoteHow do dwarves deal with friendships?
Any friend can be important to the focus, but a dwarf is not as deceptive as an elf.  Unless the friend severely hampers the possibility of achieving one's goal, I don't see why not.
QuoteHow do dwarves deal with changes to their focus?
Again, read the response to the children question.
QuoteWhich foci do more dwarves choose in the IC world, not the PCs?
I really believe that this changes dependant on where the dwarves are.
Vendyra

I can't believe Vendrya erased my post....and there were not even any colors!

:P
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I can't believe Vendyra made a post in such large letters.

I've made the applicable changes.
Vendyra

Quote from: "Vendyra"I've made the applicable changes.
Oh I was only joking  :P Sorry  :roll: