Nakki RPT June 23!

Started by Wicked, June 21, 2008, 03:41:42 AM

If you've checked the rumor boards you know what and where!

RPT in Allanak, at 7:30PM EST on Monday, June 23rd.

Be there, you know you want to! ;)
Quote from: Yam
Tew is the sound Soh make when they shoot guns.

Tew! Tew! Tew!

KahKahKahKahKahKahKahKahKah!

Tew!

Don't miss out!

Tew! Tew! Tew!

Tew!

Gonna be some fun. Make sure to check it out!

Quote from: Wicked on June 21, 2008, 03:41:42 AM
RPT in Allanak, at 7:30PM EST on Monday, June 23rd.

Ya know, this is only 4:30 PM in the Pacific timezone. Meaning that Left Coasters aren't even home from work yet (those of us who have normal jobs). Just sayin'.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 23, 2008, 11:26:10 AM
Ya know, this is only 4:30 PM in the Pacific timezone. Meaning that Left Coasters aren't even home from work yet (those of us who have normal jobs). Just sayin'.

Could be there's also some Euro players involved... can't please everybody.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: Boggis on June 23, 2008, 11:36:37 AM

Sure, that's possible. But I find that often, folks on the East Coast don't really have a concept of what time it is on the West Coast--and then it's a surprise when a good portion of the playerbase can't make it to an event happening at East-Coast peak time. (I'd wager there are many more West Coast players than Euro players, also.)

Quote from: Boggis on June 23, 2008, 11:36:37 AM

It is gonna be 1 am for me... Definitely not fancing coming to work tomorrow.
There is a peculiar pleasure in riding out into the unknown -
a pleasure which no second journey on the same trail ever affords.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 23, 2008, 11:58:46 AM
But I find that often, folks on the East Coast don't really have a concept of what time it is on the West Coast--and then it's a surprise when a good portion of the playerbase can't make it to an event happening at East-Coast peak time. (I'd wager there are many more West Coast players than Euro players, also.)

I'm pretty sure it's not intentional.  That we ECer's don't sit down and go, "Well, let's pick a time that's convenient for us, and not so much for the WCer's."  I also highly doubt that those setting the times don't think about whether or not certain people will be able to attend.  Speaking from experience, I've worried and fretted over setting RPT times, and even realized that several folks wouldn't be able to make it.  No matter what time is set for an RPT there's always going to be some folks who can't make it, period.  I beleive it's more along the lines of when those in charge of the RPT can attend, as well as collaborating with their IMM's to work out a time suitable for all of them.

As well, if it's a major clan RPT then the leaders of said RPT are probably taking into account all the times that a majority of their clannies can attend.

Setting up a time for an RPT, if it's one that involves a variety of people not even involved in a clan, can be a daunting task in and of itself.

/derail

Awesome!  Can't wait!  I'm sure this will be sweet.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

I think it -is- intentional.

They hate you, Gimfy!
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on June 23, 2008, 12:29:52 PM

They hate you, Gimfy!

Shh... don't give out our secret.
After knocking back a mouthful of the contents of a full shot-glass, toking away on a rolled joint directly afterwards you say in desert-accented sirihish:
"They call me Tuber, and my son is Tuber-tot."

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 23, 2008, 11:58:46 AM
Sure, that's possible. But I find that often, folks on the East Coast don't really have a concept of what time it is on the West Coast--and then it's a surprise when a good portion of the playerbase can't make it to an event happening at East-Coast peak time. (I'd wager there are many more West Coast players than Euro players, also.)

I'd be pretty sure that they've gone with a time that works as well as possible for the majority of their clannies / organisers involved for a Monday and that they are capable off deducting 3 hours from East Coast time. I've ran RPTs before as Byn Sarge, Templar, etc. and you do your best to be inclusive, consult the handy world clock on the internet and in the end you go with what works best for most and disappoint a few unfortunately. I'm a GMT player so it was probably pretty shite being a PST player in any clan that I've been a leader in but that's the way things go. I'm sure us little band of Euro players have missed out on many a PST RPT.
You can't trust any bugger further than you can throw him, and there's nothing you can do about it, so let's have a drink" Dydactylos' philosophical mix of the Cynics, the Stoics and the Epicureans (Small Gods, Terry Pratchett)

Quote from: Attana on June 23, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

They hate you, Gimfy!

I was already aware--the data hides no sekrets from me.

Quote from: Attana on June 23, 2008, 12:24:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not intentional.  That we ECer's don't sit down and go, "Well, let's pick a time that's convenient for us, and not so much for the WCer's."

I didn't say it was intentional. I said that often, ECers will set a time and then be surprised that WCers can't attend at that time, because it's too early for them. This is much more an issue of people just not being aware of time differences than of intentionally exclusive planning.

In case anyone really is interested, data-wise, there are better and worse times to hold RPTs when you are looking for attendance from the mass of the playerbase (rather than just from an individual clan). Sunday evening (early-ish) is the very best time--because usually both school-folks and work-folks have Sundays off, and Sunday will have the highest peak-time player census for the week. Friday and Saturday nights are the worst time for RPTs (players are out being social rather than playing ARM, so consistently low player census during peak time), followed by Monday through Wednesday (player census at peak time tends to be lowest of the weekdays on Monday and then rises each day). Thursday is the best weeknight for RPTs.

And in order to catch both East Coast and West Coast players on a weeknight, RPTs usually should start at 6 pm Pacific / 9 pm Eastern, BUT they should be advertised as starting at 5:30 / 8:30, because no one is ever on time ;) In order to add in the Euro players if an RPT is happening on Sunday evening, then starting at 3 pm Pacific / 6 pm Eastern seems usually to work...that puts the event at 11 pm-ish for British players, which is somewhat do-able, especially if the RPT is a social thing rather than combat-type thing (combat RPTs always run really long).

Quote from: Boggis on June 23, 2008, 12:41:28 PM
I'd be pretty sure that they've gone with a time that works as well as possible for the majority of their clannies / organisers involved for a Monday and that they are capable off deducting 3 hours from East Coast time. I've ran RPTs before as Byn Sarge, Templar, etc. and you do your best to be inclusive, consult the handy world clock on the internet and in the end you go with what works best for most and disappoint a few unfortunately. I'm a GMT player so it was probably pretty shite being a PST player in any clan that I've been a leader in but that's the way things go. I'm sure us little band of Euro players have missed out on many a PST RPT.

This really isn't a competition about who misses the most RPTs. Really, the point was to point something out that the organizers may not have thought of (since they did not mention Pacific time in the original post), and which may lead to lower attendance numbers than they were hoping for.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on June 23, 2008, 12:47:48 PM
Quote from: Attana on June 23, 2008, 12:30:47 PM

They hate you, Gimfy!

I was already aware--the data hides no sekrets from me.

Quote from: Attana on June 23, 2008, 12:24:48 PM
I'm pretty sure it's not intentional.  That we ECer's don't sit down and go, "Well, let's pick a time that's convenient for us, and not so much for the WCer's."

I didn't say it was intentional. I said that often, ECers will set a time and then be surprised that WCers can't attend at that time, because it's too early for them. This is much more an issue of people just not being aware of time differences than of intentionally exclusive planning.

In case anyone really is interested, data-wise, there are better and worse times to hold RPTs when you are looking for attendance from the mass of the playerbase (rather than just from an individual clan). Sunday evening (early-ish) is the very best time--because usually both school-folks and work-folks have Sundays off, and Sunday will have the highest peak-time player census for the week. Friday and Saturday nights are the worst time for RPTs (players are out being social rather than playing ARM, so consistently low player census during peak time), followed by Monday through Wednesday (player census at peak time tends to be lowest of the weekdays on Monday and then rises each day). Thursday is the best weeknight for RPTs.

And in order to catch both East Coast and West Coast players on a weeknight, RPTs usually should start at 6 pm Pacific / 9 pm Eastern, BUT they should be advertised as starting at 5:30 / 8:30, because no one is ever on time ;) In order to add in the Euro players if an RPT is happening on Sunday evening, then starting at 3 pm Pacific / 6 pm Eastern seems usually to work...that puts the event at 11 pm-ish for British players, which is somewhat do-able, especially if the RPT is a social thing rather than combat-type thing (combat RPTs always run really long).

Quote from: Boggis on June 23, 2008, 12:41:28 PM

This really isn't a competition about who misses the most RPTs. Really, the point was to point something out that the organizers may not have thought of (since they did not mention Pacific time in the original post), and which may lead to lower attendance numbers than they were hoping for.

Id say, invent a excuse to leave work earlier... virus... kebab... Gith extermination! I am sure they will understand
There is a peculiar pleasure in riding out into the unknown -
a pleasure which no second journey on the same trail ever affords.

omg cant we all just get along

Quote from: Xarnia on June 23, 2008, 01:02:13 PM
Id say, invent a excuse to leave work earlier... virus... kebab... Gith extermination! I am sure they will understand

I never said I could attend, even if it wasn't at a bad time for me ;)

And I don't leave work early for ARM. I did it once or twice, and it didn't turn out well--the RPT didn't actually start on time or something, or was cancelled, which was really annoying that I'd gone to the effort and then it was for nothing. I just can't let ARM impact my Real Life that way.

What has been the most ideal RPT time for east and west coasters, in your past experience, Gimfalisette?

Quote from: Rhyden on June 23, 2008, 03:19:19 PM
What has been the most ideal RPT time for east and west coasters, in your past experience, Gimfalisette?

I'm not Gimf, but my best experiences with arranging clan RPTs were usually 8-9 PM EST on weekdays or afternoons on Sundays.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

Quote from: Fathi on June 23, 2008, 03:22:15 PM

I'm not Gimf, but my best experiences with arranging clan RPTs were usually 8-9 PM EST on weekdays or afternoons on Sundays.

With my new job this would be IDEAL.  Unfortunately on my last character who was long lived I missed alot because I was a server so I worked nights but was around like LATE nights EST. 

Anyways, I agree with Fathi and lean more to 8pm.
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

If you want to balance out playtimes between europe and the americas, it seems like you have to schedule them on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. I've had some good luck with RPTs like that.

Otherwise, 8/9 PM EST seems to work.

Quote from: Fathi on June 23, 2008, 03:22:15 PM

I've had the best turnouts with these times as well. Just wondering what other people thought.

Pretty much what I said above, and what Fathi and ale six have said as well. 8 to 9 pm EST / 5 to 6 pm PST works well on weeknights, because RPTs never start exactly on time...which means PSTers who work until 5 pm are coming in just a bit late but not too late. And it's not too late (not yet bedtime, that is) for ESTers yet at that point in time.

Sunday afternoons if you want to catch the Euro crowd as well, as we've all said.

Why fight with EST and PST? Just go Central.  8)

Quote from: Qzzrbl on June 23, 2008, 04:49:06 PM
Why fight with EST and PST? Just go Central.  8)

Central is God's time.

yea i'm central and i'm still gonna be a little late.

BE MORE EARLY, EARLY PEOPLE

This is exactly when I get off work and I have to run a few errands afterwards so I'll try and catch the tail end...

Brandon
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

THANK YOU FOR EVERYONE WHO'S ATTENDED.

Sorry, caps lock by accident.

It was entertaining and fun, everyone who participated were brilliant and that includes players and staff. :)
Quote from: Majikal on August 20, 2009, 05:53:09 PM

Running after Carru, catching them, then eating them while they are still breathing is a Red Fang's version of 'fast food'.

Something to keep in mind, too, is not everybody who plays Arm is US based. So arranging a RPT isn't only a matter of a couple hours time difference.  So if a person who isn't in the US is trying to arrange a RPT, that makes it doubly difficult to fix times that work, because not only is peak time probably at some weird ass hour of the night that's going to mess with your normal schedule, it may not even be a day that works. Gimf said how Sundays are best for a lot of people, but for someone not US, it might not be Sunday for them.

So. Just some food for thought.

Tew! Tew! Tew!

Tew!

Excellent fun, thanks to everyone who put it together!

As for times...if I'm a clan leader, I'll organize things to run at the most convenient time for me. Not because I'm selfish, but because I have to log out when I have to log out, and I simply cannot schedule things to end when I won't be there, if I'm the one who's supposed to be running it. That isn't fair to anyone who -does- attend, to have the leader of the event just suddenly log out..it isn't fair to people who might plan on killing my PC, if halfway through it's my usual bedtime and I say "oh well, kill me next week, I'm going to bed." It isn't fair to me, to set things up for everyone -else's- convenience either.

So - I set it up for me. If people can come, great. If not, then not. I try to provide a pretty generous window of possible days, but times just can't adjust that much.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.