Kindling?

Started by Cuusardo, May 01, 2003, 02:30:40 PM

Okay, to make a campfire, one needs kindling.  The problem in my case is, I don't know how to make kindling.  I've tried using baobob twigs and numut vines, but apparently I don't have the skill to make anything from them.  How in the world is a person to make kindling? :?:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

Sometimes when I want kindling in real life I find a bigger piece and split it up...

You might try something similar.
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

I just checked this out, because I couldn't remember.

Here's a hint:
You're wanting to make a bundle of kindling. So think putting together, not tearing apart.

You're definitely on the right track, though.
ack to retirement for the school year.

If some is good, more is better.

CAMPFIRE_MAKING                                                   (General)

To create a campfire you need sufficient fuel and kindling.  Once you
      have these things then you can make your fire.  To make the fire you
      use the craft command.  There isn't a required skill needed to make a
      campfire.  Currently, anyone can make a campfire if they have the
      right materials.

Example;
         >craft kindling branch branch branch into campfire

Once the fire is built and lit it will need fuel or it will burn out.
      Things that burn work best for this (wood, cloth, oil, etc).  Use the
      command 'put' to add objects to your fire.

Syntax:
      Synax: put <item> fire

(Note: fires will burn and consume items depending on the material they
      are made of.  Materials like stone and bone may not be consumed.  Objects
      in a burning fire may not be retrieved.  Extinguish the fire first to
      retrieve objects.)

See Also:
      darkness, extinguish, forage, light
Vendyra

Heh, none of the posts so far help much.

I know I make it accidentally all the time when trying to craft something bigger.  Dunno why it should be so secretive though... *any* half-wit could make kindling out of stuff they grub-up in the woods, so it seems it's more of a syntax question than a real IC issue.
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

There're some REALLY good hints in this thread, if you look back.

I tried taking a bunch of twigs and a bunch of numut vines, but neither worked.  

Is there anyone out there who knows how or what to make it out of? :?:
Quote from: AnaelYou know what I love about the word panic?  In Czech, it's the word for "male virgin".

You need either 5 twigs or 5 numut vines. The only problem with this is that you might not be able to hold 5 things in your inventory if your agility is too low.

So, if you're not too quick...you can't start a fire??
That make sense to anyone else?

In those terms no,
but in other terms your not dextrous(hand-coordinated) to hold the components nescessary to make a fire.

Quote from: "Jenred"In those terms no,
but in other terms your not dextrous(hand-coordinated) to hold the components nescessary to make a fire.

You're right about the reasoning for the items in inventory restriction being tied into agility. As you, rightly, say, it's also a measure of dexterity, not just quickness.

That being said, I'm not sure that kindling should be such a feat to make, and this will most likely be discussed among staff in the near future.

Cheers,
Bakha

That would be nice Bakha, kindling and fires are extremely hard to make, even in the middle of the woods for many reasons, and what skill does building a fire check against? I've been assuming cooking since that is given to every class, and somebody explain to me where the kindling goes when you fail to build the fire, considering the message given on failing, you should still have it.

Kinda unsettling to me when me (irl) city born could build a fire with a rod some string (could even make that if need be) a flexible branch, and a knife by the time I was 8 years old it took the desert elf ranger I had 3 ic days. And he had help :?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I used this neat skill called 'analyze' to figure out was kindling was made of...

In any case, it makes little sense that you have to find five items of a specific kind to be able to craft it, or alternatively have fletchery, find one branch, and fail the craft.

Let's throw a few ideas out there:
Suggestion: all branches should be craftable to kindling by everyone.
Suggestion: A failed fletchery craft should only produce sawdust and kindling should instead be made more available by having the crafting require only three items, and let twigs and vines be used interchangeably.

It's late, I'm bored and.. No wait, that's about it.

Oh, and another thing about kindling and campfires, is that kindling doesn't burn up when you put it in the fire. :P

Neither do split baobab logs either, I'm almost 100% sure.

Perhaps it's because they're craftable, and its some sort of bug?

(edit: oh yeah, and when the fires go ashen, you can't junk them or get rid of them in any way (that I know of), because they're non pick-up-able. Maybe some sort of 'scatter ashes' command, or something? Or just make them pick-up-able when they turn to ashes?)

Logs do burn up....eventually, and an ashen campfire can be rebuilt.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Hhhmmm, missed the split part..never tried the split ones, might be right there, but it would be a bug I think.
Lizzie:

Never knew an ashen campfire could be rebuilt.. learn something new everytime you play. :P

If I have a steak and I want to cook it up using my crafting skill "cooking" is it bad to just RP a small cooking fire rather than bringing along all the things to make a campfire (which I don't believe my character can make?)

Thanks!
ou want some raptor fries with that?

The Rp of virtual aids to crafting is used often and I think expected.
Lizzie:

Yeah it's fine, because you're making a fire large enough to cook on, but not to illuminate the whole room (As with the campfire kindling whathaveyou)

Damn... We may just RP cooking fires??! Damn all my southern rangers starved till getting to the Gaj. Why didn't anybody else tell me that we could? :p
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

It still has to be realistic RP.
You have to ask yourself where your character got the campfire materials, emote making it, etc.

To drag up an old thread....
I believe, provided at least there isn't any sand in the air, that a camfire, at least once it attains a certain size, should provide enough light to forage by at night.
Just found my ranger in a room with a huge bonfire I'd built up, not any wind at all, and even a moon out...and didn't have enough light to forage with.

Quote from: "Anonymous"To drag up an old thread....
I believe, provided at least there isn't any sand in the air, that a camfire, at least once it attains a certain size, should provide enough light to forage by at night.
Just found my ranger in a room with a huge bonfire I'd built up, not any wind at all, and even a moon out...and didn't have enough light to forage with.

I have successfully foraged at night a few times, it was always a delightful suprise.   :D  

Most of the time nothing you do will light up the "ground" enough to change the foraging possibilities.  Don't forget that those outdoor rooms are usually huge, 1 league square or 3 miles by 3 miles, so if you build your campfire in the center of the room the edges of the room will usually be over a mile away.  Ok, so you don't try to forage a mile away from your fire.  I don't know if you've been to a big bonfire lately, but they best illuminate things from about 2-6 feet off the ground, they don't light up the ground itself very well.  When you are close to the fire seeing the ground is pretty tough, because the bright light around you makes your pupils contract, making it harder to see the ground.  Turning your back on the fire helps, but not much.  Even with a huge fire, there would be a fairly narrow ring where the fire illuminated the ground somewhat but was not so bright that it ruined your night vision.

On the other hand, if you are crawling around on your hands and knees searching, shouldn't you be able to detect some roots, mosses, and sticks and rocks by touch alone?  I don't know, I've never tried to do my gardening in the dark.   8)

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins