Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1031980 times)

Dahlia

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #35975 on: September 11, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
Seriously.  Pretzel buns are the shit.
"I survived because the fire inside me burned brighter than the fire around me."

Riev

« Reply #35976 on: September 11, 2017, 07:17:37 PM »
Feels good to have my soot back
Fuck you photobucket.

Now I know who you are!
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Fredd

« Reply #35977 on: September 12, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
I know! I'm nothing without my soot!
You have never had the urge to kill yourself, before now.

The mighty Tektolnes says, in Highlord-accented sirihish,
"cast mon un shut the fuck up ~Valasurus"

HavokBlue

• Helper
« Reply #35978 on: October 01, 2017, 11:16:27 PM »
I wish Mudlet was compatible with Chromium.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #35979 on: October 02, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »
I like this class. I'm super into it. But damn if the textbook isn't dry. I've fallen asleep twice reading this chapter.
"Our whole lives are just stories." - Vikings

I get wherever I'm going, I get whatever I need
while my blood's still flowing and my heart still beats

Is Friday

« Reply #35980 on: October 06, 2017, 04:44:18 PM »
Fuuuuck AIM is being shut off in December. How will I continue to share IC info!?!?!?!!?
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

Rhyden

« Reply #35981 on: October 06, 2017, 05:26:00 PM »
Dude, there's this new thing called MSN Messenger. I'll send you the link.
Quote from: Malifaxis
One thing I'd like to see in arm is more people focusing on how to make the game intriguing, by filling
it with murder, betrayal, and corruption, instead of arguing about how combat isn't powerful enough.

ShaLeah

« Reply #35982 on: October 06, 2017, 06:31:09 PM »
Fuuuuck AIM is being shut off in December. How will I continue to share IC info!?!?!?!!?

Dude, there's this new thing called MSN Messenger. I'll send you the link.

Not the same at all. :(
I JUST downloaded it to my phone and found this out.  I am the sadness.
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Ourla
I would slather you in sin and roll you out the other side.

boog

« Reply #35983 on: October 06, 2017, 11:28:58 PM »
when you're being choked by the ghost of a dead communist painter
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

ShaLeah

« Reply #35984 on: October 07, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »
I miss Nyr.
Tried to tell him but you can't message him.  :'(
Quote from: Cenghiz
And ShaLeah's evil, by the way.
Quote from: Ourla
I would slather you in sin and roll you out the other side.

TheHandmaid

• My Song
« Reply #35985 on: October 07, 2017, 01:48:21 AM »
I miss Nyr.
Tried to tell him but you can't message him.  :'(

I think there's a flaw in my code. These voices won't leave me alone, well my heart is gold and my hands are cold.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #35986 on: October 08, 2017, 11:51:45 AM »
Small town drama in my town:

Local rich dude goes to lawn and garden store, purchases one bag of  fancy decorative crushed rock. Clerk screws up decimal point on weight, rich dude ends up getting pickup loaded with 10 bags of fancy crushed rock, but being a dumbass he doesn't actually check the receipt. He just assumes he paid for the one, got 10 because they are working class peons and too dumb to know the difference.. Neither of them note that the total is ourageous. Clerk moves on, guy assumes he pulls a fast one on the store, goes home and dumps out all this glittering stone in his garden.

2 days later he notices the $2k charge on his card and goes ballistic. He wants his money back. Store wants their rocks back. It is already dumped out and lining his garden paths, ponds, etc.

Is the clerk at fault? The guy only ordered one loaded bag and it is noted on the receipt, but the WEIGHT is  the issue. Is the guy at fault for being a dick and just assuming 'bank error in your favor?' Should they both be nailed to crosses for their stupidity?

Get in on the gossip, folks. It is apparantly a big deal here in Nowhere, Texas.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Jihelu

« Reply #35987 on: October 08, 2017, 12:16:36 PM »
I'm trying to think of this from a legal standpoint, but idk

Most places have you agree to what you pay for, meaning if he swiped his card generally it goes "are you okay with this amount" meaning mr rich pants casually hit yes on a 2k charge.

I think the store could refuse to give his money back, especially if he doesn't give the rocks back. Which would be hard to as they are on the ground.

Lady at my place of work put in her pin instead of a tip, after being told not to put her pin in because it didn't need it, then hit yes when it said "Are you sure you want to give like a 90 dollar tip you idiot", then bitched to our corporate and they took it down. I'm pretty sure they could have refused but they didn't really lose much.

This case seems a bit different though because it's not tip money.
It's also like 2k
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Melkor

« Reply #35988 on: October 08, 2017, 04:02:44 PM »
The transaction was even, he signed off on it. If he wants his money back, he needs to return the product.

That being said, the store needs to be aware that if they do not return his money based on their employee's goof, they may lose a wealthy customer.

Doesn't seem to be too complicated an issue.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Veselka

« Reply #35989 on: October 08, 2017, 05:45:29 PM »
Sounds like the employee's gaffe. Customer is always right, even if they're totally wrong and greedy and idiotic. Plenty of my clients at work are uber wealthy, and do things that boggle the mind to try to save a penny (cutting off the nose to spite the face). But -- At the end of the day, it's more valuable to keep them as customers than to be 'right' and for them to be 'wrong'.

If it were me, i'd make sure the Employee double checks everything from now on, or if they've done shit like this in the past, put them on notice/fire them. Everyone makes mistakes, and you can't really hold the customer liable for being an asshole.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #35990 on: October 09, 2017, 12:15:50 AM »
"The customer is always right" is an adage that only people who've never actually worked retail believe.

evilcabbage

« Reply #35991 on: October 09, 2017, 12:43:00 AM »
or fast food.
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Veselka

« Reply #35992 on: October 09, 2017, 02:29:31 AM »
"The customer is always right" is an adage that only people who've never actually worked retail believe.

Considering I have worked retail for over 15 years and own a business currently, I would say that's not true! But that's cool, I guess.

Whether or not the Customer is Always Right (I think they're almost always actually wrong, but think they are right), I would say it is never worth it to be 'right' while the customer is 'wrong' and lose their business. Honestly telling someone you made a mistake, and this is the balance they owe for the product they received, whether or not they agree to do it after that point, is what makes sense. Charging them a full amount they didn't agree to without notifying them and expecting them to just pay it and not get upset is pretty non-sensical business practice. No one comes out ahead, except the angry customer who now has all the product they didn't pay for, and who isn't going to be a repeat customer, and who could easily call their credit company and cancel the payment entirely.

In the 'Customer v Business' scenario, a Business almost always benefits from presenting the illusion of 'The Customer is Always Right', and harboring whatever actual feelings they have behind closed doors.

Edited for brevity.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:03:58 AM by Veselka »

Melkor

« Reply #35993 on: October 09, 2017, 03:21:17 AM »
If we listen to each other's hearts, we'll find we're never too far apart; and maybe love is the reason why, for the first time ever we're seeing it eye to eye. 8) 8) 8)

Riev

« Reply #35994 on: October 09, 2017, 12:43:00 PM »
I always felt that "The Customer is Always Right" mantra sounded like a woman in an abusive relationship. You have to tell the customer that they're right, and appease them, because you need their business. Like telling someone your SO just has 'anger issues' but really its all your fault, because you can't afford to lose them or their love.

I'm sure there are CvB scenarios out there, and they can be real complex, but one guy having a bad experience and not returning to a store isn't bad for business. Its the press and the word of mouth that causes an issue, which can be remedied, but its better to "not spend the money and let them be right" than it is to spend money defending your integrity.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #35995 on: October 09, 2017, 05:23:56 PM »
Whatever the wholesale value on the rocks is would be a lot for a small business to be out in product. Source: my dad's small business used to net like $14k a year in profit. They still have to pay their source for the rocks. I'd probably offer to give them to the guy at cost, but that's just me.

If the guy wants his money back, he should return the rocks. You can't tell me he didn't agree to the charge unless there's some evidence he never swiped it or signed an invoice with the printed total. He's just an idiot who thought he was cheating someone and didn't get away with it. My two cents.

BadSkeelz

« Reply #35996 on: October 09, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »
The customer can keep the extra rocks on the condition that he eat one whole bag of them within 4 hours.
Quote from: janeshephard
You really think BadSkeelz understands the concept of Wine In Front of me? This guy shot me as a townie when he felt threatened. The man's a neandrathal.

Persona for GDB use only. Results in game may vary.

Jihelu

« Reply #35997 on: October 09, 2017, 06:12:27 PM »
I thought 'the customer is always right' is just a way of saying 'supply and demand' and not 'I literally have to bend over backwards because this rude piece of shit said so'.
Shade, profits, and George Bush did 9/11

Akaramu

• Anathema Web Serial
« Reply #35998 on: October 12, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »
I don't know whether to be proud or ashamed of the fact that to this day, I've never read any how-to guides on writing. I just... write. And figure out how to do it better by writing more, and by analyzing books I like.

I think this method actually helped me develop a good 'feel' or instinct for my own writing. Kind of like I wouldn't be able to tell you a single comma rule if you pointed a gun at me, but I know where to put those commas. Authors who know all the theory how-to's don't necessarily know when or how to apply them to their own writing. In my humble opinion, anyway.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 08:25:07 AM by Akaramu »

Melkor

« Reply #35999 on: October 12, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
Maybe a little of both. Nearly identical situation, a good buddy of mine is a lua??, java, c++ coder that is employed full time, and has no formal coding education. On the one hand, it is pretty admirable that he is self-taught, on the other hand, he does not have the foundation of education. He says he regrets not getting a degree, but does not think it hinders him on a daily basis.