Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1466551 times)

James de Monet

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36450 on: April 15, 2019, 02:58:25 PM »
Iíve changed it.

You get a gold star for taking one for the team.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Veselka

« Reply #36451 on: April 15, 2019, 03:40:11 PM »
Notre Dame on fire -- Likely to be a total loss. Such a shame. Very fond memories of having gone there and standing in silence inside, awed at the measure of humanity's capability in erecting a structure of such beauty and immensity. Nearly 1000 years old. Took over 200 years to build. Damn.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/notre-dame-fire/index.html
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 04:23:43 PM by Veselka »
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

Feco

« Reply #36452 on: April 15, 2019, 05:47:43 PM »
Iíve changed it.

You get a gold star for taking one for the team.

Yeah, I didn't think you were an asshole at all, but you are a saint for changing it.
Sunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

MeTekillot

« Reply #36453 on: April 16, 2019, 08:42:23 AM »
oh my god moe is a zombie
we are here to hack motherfuckers up with bone swords,

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #36454 on: April 24, 2019, 12:07:16 PM »
I've been playing this game 10 years now. AKA almost 1/3 of my life. That feels pretty insane.
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

Barsook

• The Sense of Openness
« Reply #36455 on: April 24, 2019, 12:08:17 PM »
I've been playing this game 10 years now. AKA almost 1/3 of my life. That feels pretty insane.

I feel you!

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36456 on: April 24, 2019, 12:53:26 PM »
It almost feels more rare for a player not to have a decade of experience here.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #36457 on: April 24, 2019, 07:57:22 PM »

I just dinged over so it's on my mind  ;)
Too gay to function since the early 2000s.
I do writing.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36458 on: April 24, 2019, 08:09:06 PM »
I'm glad I got here when I was like 14. I like to track my growth and decay.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36459 on: April 27, 2019, 01:38:05 AM »
bio add pretty cool guy
eh kills npcs and doesn't afraid of anything
~

Nile

« Reply #36460 on: April 28, 2019, 03:32:37 AM »

I went on hiatus after Red Fang closed down. How long ago was that? Five years? More? But I started almost 15 years ago so I guess I fit the mold.
Free your hate.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #36461 on: May 11, 2019, 03:19:26 AM »
I'm a DM for my D&D group. They decided to visit a relatively large city, which was nearby to their travels, and it was a well-documented city.

But Gods did I not realize how much time and effort it would take to format it into usable D&D information. I felt like I was doing a dozen-page long research assignment.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36462 on: May 15, 2019, 01:29:12 AM »
I have a theory that high functioning autistics and those with ADHD (especially female) are underdiagnosed.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 01:51:45 AM by MeTekillot »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36463 on: May 15, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
Isn't every ailment technically under diagnosed? There's just always going to be people who don't get help or don't think there's anything wrong, or can't get help if they do.

On the other hand many people think ADHD is overly misdiagnosed. Which is a separate but related problem.

Cerelum

« Reply #36464 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »
I personally think many of the psychological ailments are way overblown.

Yeah some people honestly suffer from them, but the vast majority just need to toughen up and deal.

Stop asking for drugs to combat your hurt feelings.

I know itís unpopular but thatís how I feel.
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36465 on: May 15, 2019, 01:49:48 PM »
Total teetotalitry is relatively recent as a mainstream ideology. People have always medicated themselves or others. Difference now is our knowledge of the effects of many substances and the professional expertise of the people dispensing them.

The War on Drugs has gone to your head, my man.

Cerelum

« Reply #36466 on: May 15, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
Total teetotalitry is relatively recent as a mainstream ideology. People have always medicated themselves or others. Difference now is our knowledge of the effects of many substances and the professional expertise of the people dispensing them.

The War on Drugs has gone to your head, my man.

I am not against drugs, hell I think most should be legal honestly.

What Iím against is people getting medicated to zombie mode because their feelings are hurt or they canít deal with life in general.

I work for a very large company and I have to listen to employees whine about not being able to come to work because they are stressed that their college loans are due and other first world problems and then they pop adderal or whatever drug to be able to cope.

I had a shitload of college loan payments the army didnít cover in my GI bill, but tough shit, deal with it.

We are raising a generation of whiners and sissies.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36467 on: May 15, 2019, 02:12:32 PM »
I dunno. 

Is it wrong to use science/medicine to alleviate suffering even if in the past that suffering was just considered part of the human condition?

Also, are we sure that there isn't actually a rise in mental illnesses because our ape-like brains are maybe having trouble dealing with this modern world/society we live in?  Sitting in chairs all day shining lights into our eyes?  Worrying about threats that we can't hear or smell because they only exist in markings on paper?  Staying active well past sunset?  Not to mention all the substances in our food and in the air that definitely weren't there before.

Also is it possible that you, having gone through tough times and just muscled through it, are simply one of the lucky ones not afflicted by serious mental illness?  Would you tell someone in a wheelchair to just toughen up and walk to the bathroom, because you were able to run a 5k yesterday?

Until science has answered the questions above, I would try not to be so judgmental.  Be encouraging instead.  Discipline is good for everyone, and we should help our friends be more disciplined.  That's not the same thing as calling them "whiners and sissies", though.

Cerelum

« Reply #36468 on: May 15, 2019, 02:20:58 PM »
I dunno. 

Is it wrong to use science/medicine to alleviate suffering even if in the past that suffering was just considered part of the human condition?

Also, are we sure that there isn't actually a rise in mental illnesses because our ape-like brains are maybe having trouble dealing with this modern world/society we live in?  Sitting in chairs all day shining lights into our eyes?  Worrying about threats that we can't hear or smell because they only exist in markings on paper?  Staying active well past sunset?  Not to mention all the substances in our food and in the air that definitely weren't there before.

Also is it possible that you, having gone through tough times and just muscled through it, are simply one of the lucky ones not afflicted by serious mental illness?  Would you tell someone in a wheelchair to just toughen up and walk to the bathroom, because you were able to run a 5k yesterday?

Until science has answered the questions above, I would try not to be so judgmental.  Be encouraging instead.  Discipline is good for everyone, and we should help our friends be more disciplined.  That's not the same thing as calling them "whiners and sissies", though.

I get that, and of course not for a physical disability.

I just know folks who have literally received disability for PTSD who served in the Army with me but saw 0 combat.

We had someone I had to call today because I had their phone number and the boss didn't and ask why he didn't show up to work.  I shit you not, he told me he "Just didn't feel good today and needed to take the day off as a mental health day." to which my boss said, "Are you fucking kidding me?" I just shrugged.

This is the type of shit I deal with on a daily basis where I work and with some of the circle I deal with in the Technology Field.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36469 on: May 15, 2019, 02:33:45 PM »
Again, you seem to be saying "my brain works great, so yours must be fine too."

Bebop

« Reply #36470 on: May 15, 2019, 03:30:22 PM »
I dunno. 

I get that, and of course not for a physical disability.

I just know folks who have literally received disability for PTSD who served in the Army with me but saw 0 combat.

We had someone I had to call today because I had their phone number and the boss didn't and ask why he didn't show up to work.  I shit you not, he told me he "Just didn't feel good today and needed to take the day off as a mental health day." to which my boss said, "Are you fucking kidding me?" I just shrugged.

This is the type of shit I deal with on a daily basis where I work and with some of the circle I deal with in the Technology Field.

Oh hi.  I have never seen a day of combat in my life, unless you count being beaten until my knees buckled as live combat?  I mean it's pretty one-sided combat.  The worse part about the abuse I endured during the most developmental parts of my life were probably the ones that didn't leave any outward scars.  Have hyper vigilance.  Being nervous in a restaurant if my back is exposed.  Gritting my teeth at loud noises.  Having nightmares to this day that wake me up from my nails digging in and imprinting into my palm.

As Moe pointed out, we now live in artificial environments.  It's been scientifically proven we are rewiring our brains.  Abuse literally effects your telomeres causing cellular aging.  It's been scientifically proven that being in nature lowers blood pressure and that our eyes find patterns in trees and natural environments that cause relaxation.  Capitalism is squeezing every dime out of people and effectively turning them into feudal indentured servants with no access to health care and jobs barely allowing time off.  All arguments for increased stress and hopelessness.  I could go on and on and on about this topic.  The effects of our neurotic infrastructure are medically real.

So take a history of chronic PTSD and the death of my dad and you've got quite a cocktail.  I remember at one point I was sitting down, checked my heart rate monitor and my BPM was at 140.  That's almost cardio.  While sitting still.  I started vomiting.  I called an ambulance and went to the ER.  I keep ativan on me for moments just like that.  Without meds I could've gone unconscious from the panic attack I was having.

Otherwise?  I have a job.  I'm a pretty well-adjusted adult.  I'm lucky to work in an environment that doesn't run me into the ground.  I'm lucky I could choose a job doing 32 hrs instead of 40 hrs so I could handle it with my PTSD.

Like seriously, you have no idea what people are going through.  And you can take your "people need to toughen up" BS and shove it.  I was beaten until bloody as a young person for years upon years.  I've been choked until almost losing consciousness by an abusive ex.  No one owes you that deeply personal explanation but I'm very cavalier about discussing these issues because of exactly these sorts of social taboos.  You have no idea what people have gone through and are going through and "haven't seen life combat or kilt a person" is a pretty garbage metric for your judgmental accusations.  Check yourself.

PS:  I can not TELL you how many mental health days I've taken.  And I'd much rather someone just come out and say that instead of doing what I often had to do during a very bleak point in my life and make up lies about stomach aches or go to the doctor just to get an excuse and waste money.  Maybe they're going through a break-up.  Maybe they're grieving.  I swear, this country has serious issues.  If people have PTO (which people should have WAY more PTO) it's their's to take.  I really hope you don't treat that employee who took the day off badly and actually honor and respect their honesty.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 03:45:20 PM by Bebop »

Riev

« Reply #36471 on: May 15, 2019, 03:44:43 PM »
Check yourself.

Preach.

And on the topic of mental health days... that's what your time off is for. You earn to have days off. You SHOULD give more notice than "make the boss call you and wonder why you aren't there" as a courtesy, but if you're not well, you're not well.

We all know someone who "hams it up" for their mental illness. Its not exactly a unique situation. However, far more common are those people with legitimate problems who have serious needs. You don't get to be a judge, and tell people to "get over it", because you aren't a professional. I'm not a professional. Nobody who isn't licensed to work with Mental Health is a professional.

Check your education, and stay in your lane, soldier. You don't mouth off to an LT because you know a guy who does it better, and you don't tell a Licensed and Certified professional that you think their performance is poor.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36472 on: May 15, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »
I'm always wary of people who are confident and vocal about their issues. Because my natural instinct is to hide my own. I understand that feeling that some people are just jumping on a bandwagon to help excuse poor character traits or laziness.

But the fact is you don't have their perspective so you can't say for sure what issues they have. For all I know the person telling me they have PTSD from the military actually has it from some other last abuse or traumatic accident theyre too ashamed to share. Or that one person isnt being lazy at work, they are absolutely exhausted from a disabled child or parent with Alzheimer's taking all their free time at home.

I find myself thinking more and more that pretty much every time I looked down on someone for not being tough or smart or diligent enough, I was being naive to think there wouldn't be a time where I would exhibit those same characteristics I thought were weak.

Bebop

« Reply #36473 on: May 15, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »
I'm always wary of people who are confident and vocal about their issues. Because my natural instinct is to hide my own. I understand that feeling that some people are just jumping on a bandwagon to help excuse poor character traits or laziness.

But the fact is you don't have their perspective so you can't say for sure what issues they have. For all I know the person telling me they have PTSD from the military actually has it from some other last abuse or traumatic accident theyre too ashamed to share. Or that one person isnt being lazy at work, they are absolutely exhausted from a disabled child or parent with Alzheimer's taking all their free time at home.

I find myself thinking more and more that pretty much every time I looked down on someone for not being tough or smart or diligent enough, I was being naive to think there wouldn't be a time where I would exhibit those same characteristics I thought were weak.

I have also been burned by this.  The only employee I ever had at the record store that would take days off for panic attacks is the only person I've ever had to fire mid-shift.  Her behavior escalated and she took advantage but I don't now use that as a metric to judge anyone actually brave enough to discuss their mental health or to scoff at people taking mental health days.  That mistrust of people cavalier on talking about mental health issues is part of the taboo I am very passionate about dispelling.  There are a LOT of biases towards people with mental health issues.  But this whole "this generation needs to toughen up" garbage does not fly with me.

Cerelum

« Reply #36474 on: May 15, 2019, 04:44:06 PM »
I was simply sharing my opinion on those who don't ham it up as Riev said.

If there are people who have a genuine issue, then great, medicate till they can't tell the time for all I care.  I just think now if I roll over to my primary care physician and say I am sad and feeling down, boom I'm gonna get meds.

Seems likes meds is the instant go to.

I had a slipped disc in my back like six months ago, to the point I couldn't walk much or sit much, so I had to take short term disability and they instantly prescribed me high dosage Vicoden and some muscle relaxers.

After the first month and doing PT I was able to go without them most of the time, only taking the pain pills if it got really bad.  I had my doctor scolding me for NOT taking the pain pills he prescribed how he prescribed.

We are in a society where instead of making people cope or deal with thier issues, we throw drugs at it.

I'm not calling any of you pussies or anything for being on meds, just saying I feel it's a problem.