Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1512973 times)

Synthesis

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36475 on: May 15, 2019, 06:12:18 PM »
Hyperbole and false equivalance.

Anxiety and depression medications do not "medicate you into a stupor," or whatever it is you're implying.  The only psychoactive medications I'm aware of that have that effect are heavy-duty antipsychotics--and if you're taking heavy-duty antipsychotics, being in a stupor is a VAST IMPROVEMENT for both yourself and society at large.  It is true that there are types of depression that require antipsychotics, but they're relatively rare, and again...if the choice is between being stuporous and head-voices or shadow-beings, I'm pretty sure we can all agree that stuporous is an improvement.

Temporary pain medications are not a good comparison for anti-anxiety or anti-depressants, because a) opioids have vastly more addictive potential and b) opioids -typically- are short-term and focused on relieving a symptom of a problem that does in fact heal and then is no longer a problem.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: Smuz
I come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: Vanth
Synthesis, you scare me a little bit.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36476 on: May 24, 2019, 01:35:55 PM »
There's an optical effect I've always been curious about.

This is all very hard to describe and as such, googling the effect has yielded very little results. As simply as I can put it: Where two lines overlap from your perspective, there's a dark visual effect where the object in front seems to bend outwards to meet the object behind (or vice versa).

So any time you have two objects with hard-defined edges, and one edge passes in front of another, you get this dark effect.

So, for instance, you're driving down the road, and there are power lines above. These power-lines have a gradual curve to them, and that curve sometimes dips low enough to pass in front of nearby houses. Now at the point from you perspective where the power-lines meets the edge of house and sky behind it you will see a slight darkening/bending effect and it's hard to define which the visual effect belongs to, the house or the power-lines or both.

As you drive along, you can track this visual effect along the length of lines as your perspective draws them across each other.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:38:12 PM by RogueGunslinger »

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #36477 on: May 24, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
I mean, I can kind of function without my bipolar and anxiety medications. I can also kind of function without my asthma medication. But all three diseases can kill me dead if not treated properly, and they do make me miserable when I'm not treating them.
A Kuraci regular shouts, in sirihish:
     "Bad move, fool!"
A Kuraci regular slashes a filthy grey rat on its body.

mansa

« Reply #36478 on: May 24, 2019, 03:59:42 PM »
Ive never experienced people yelling "white man" at me until I went to the deep villages of Nigeria.

It's weird, that people can greet me and welcome me and identify me and name me "the white man."

This universe is crazy
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #36479 on: May 24, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
Ive never experienced people yelling "white man" at me until I went to the deep villages of Nigeria.

It's weird, that people can greet me and welcome me and identify me and name me "the white man."

This universe is crazy

We should probably be doing this to every fair-to-albino PC in Armageddon.
     "This ain't no city, grebber!"

James de Monet

« Reply #36480 on: May 24, 2019, 06:19:22 PM »
Hey RGS, it sounds like you’re describing an effect of diffraction.  Any type of EM radiation (not just visible light) will tend to bend slightly as it goes around an object, or passes over a sharp corner.  It is more noticeable when the size of the gap between objects relates to the wavelength of the radiation in some way that I would have to look up.

I’m not sure exactly what causes the effect you’re describing, but if the light bends in certain ways, it could certainly make areas appear lighter or darker than they “should” be.  And light bending around certain areas could make items appear thinner or thicker, which would distort your depth perception.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Cerelum

« Reply #36481 on: May 24, 2019, 07:18:30 PM »
Lol, yeah I’ve always thought pale folks who aren’t nobles should be mutations.

How you stay pale in a land of sun and deserts?
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36482 on: May 24, 2019, 11:26:54 PM »
Hey RGS, it sounds like you’re describing an effect of diffraction.  Any type of EM radiation (not just visible light) will tend to bend slightly as it goes around an object, or passes over a sharp corner.  It is more noticeable when the size of the gap between objects relates to the wavelength of the radiation in some way that I would have to look up.

I’m not sure exactly what causes the effect you’re describing, but if the light bends in certain ways, it could certainly make areas appear lighter or darker than they “should” be.  And light bending around certain areas could make items appear thinner or thicker, which would distort your depth perception.

Oooh. I'll tug on a few of those wikipedia threads for a while and see unravels. Probably my brain.   

MeTekillot

« Reply #36483 on: May 26, 2019, 11:03:45 PM »
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

James de Monet

« Reply #36484 on: May 27, 2019, 04:39:49 AM »
I don’t know what kind of metal band would warrant album art like this, but I’d give it a listen.  Just saying.

Why is this dwarf so tall?  Why does he have a cabbie hat?  Why is he sentimental?  Enquiring ears want to know.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36485 on: June 02, 2019, 05:59:26 PM »
For the past year or so I have been seeing things in my peripheral more often. Like, something moving will immediately catch my attention. But it is only certain dark small objects and my initial reaction is always "wtf was that a bug". Then I will turn and see it was just some small thing like the top of my cats ear peeking over a monitor or the cord from my headphones shifting.

Cerelum

« Reply #36486 on: June 04, 2019, 01:21:08 AM »
For the past year or so I have been seeing things in my peripheral more often. Like, something moving will immediately catch my attention. But it is only certain dark small objects and my initial reaction is always "wtf was that a bug". Then I will turn and see it was just some small thing like the top of my cats ear peeking over a monitor or the cord from my headphones shifting.

Floaters in your vision, go see an eye doctor.  I have them from having a vitreous hemorrhage from a grenade explosion.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Yeah, seriously...find out OOC.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36487 on: June 04, 2019, 01:44:17 AM »
You could also be going completely insane.
Also, I like my cootch to have a pert pink color and nice smell. Knowing my luck I would bonk someone with AIDs, get rotten box, and die miserable.

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #36488 on: June 04, 2019, 10:58:03 AM »
This is a pretty common processing error with the human brain, where it interprets information to comply with what it expects rather than what's actually there.
     "Bad move, fool!"

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36489 on: June 04, 2019, 06:37:07 PM »
It's not floaters(though I have those too, I assume from excessive rubbing of eyes), and I don't see things that are not there.

This is a pretty common processing error with the human brain, where it interprets information to comply with what it expects rather than what's actually there.

Yeah, the only weird thing is the frequency. It's probably just me noticing it more after becoming fixated on it.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36490 on: June 04, 2019, 09:15:16 PM »
You could also be tired and high. Weed is mildly hallucinogenic. Being sleep deprived can make you paranoid and anxious, which can translate into seeing movement or over-reacting to small movements.

EDIT: Smoking weed also fucks with your REM sleep, which makes it less restful.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:16:47 PM by MeTekillot »

valeria

• I have a writing page.
« Reply #36491 on: June 04, 2019, 10:39:09 PM »
That's also true.  I tend to hallucinate mildly when I'm sleep deprived, usually shadows and movement.
     "Bad move, fool!"

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36492 on: June 05, 2019, 12:54:04 PM »
Weed and lack of sleep are likely culprits. Time for a nice long break.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36493 on: June 09, 2019, 01:13:42 AM »
I really like the word bastard.

James de Monet

« Reply #36494 on: June 18, 2019, 05:59:50 PM »
There’s going to be an orchestral concert rendition of Dr. Dre: 2001 here in August.  I can’t decide if this is awesome, or a train wreck waiting to happen.