Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1307865 times)

infinitehope

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36250 on: June 23, 2018, 12:42:53 AM »
https://imgur.com/gallery/825MKe5

Random image shown to me.

I want that backpack so bad now! its so cool! I wonder how it was made.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36251 on: June 23, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »
It's a "retroreflective" material.  Same as those reflective stripes on like high visibility safety vests.

Akaramu

« Reply #36252 on: June 24, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36253 on: June 25, 2018, 09:23:28 PM »
My moms brand new computer is getting a lot of BSOD's... But never when she's gaming. Only when she's doing other things on the PC, like surf the web. But it's never when she's doing something consistent, like watching videos.

Tried lots of shit with drivers and memtests, basically down to reformatting HD and reinstalling windows.

It just boggles my mind, it has never BSOD'd while gaming for extensive hours.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36254 on: June 26, 2018, 01:38:26 AM »
New computers with this sort of problem make me think of poor CPU thermal compound application.  Try watching the CPU temperature and possibly running a stress test.  Gaming might lean more heavily on GPU and/or with GPU fan on it might add enough airflow to the case to keep CPU temperature issues under control. 

MeTekillot

« Reply #36255 on: June 26, 2018, 02:58:24 AM »
Could also possibly be a hard drive issue, with the damaged part of the drive not being referenced by the games in question?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36256 on: June 26, 2018, 11:39:10 PM »
New computers with this sort of problem make me think of poor CPU thermal compound application.  Try watching the CPU temperature and possibly running a stress test.  Gaming might lean more heavily on GPU and/or with GPU fan on it might add enough airflow to the case to keep CPU temperature issues under control. 

You're a goddamn genius. Looks like this might have been the problem.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36257 on: June 27, 2018, 12:28:08 AM »
That's 2 for Moe.

Akaramu

« Reply #36258 on: June 30, 2018, 06:06:02 PM »
Some guy on some forum just offered to clean my shoes professionally. He'd even pay the delivery charges and 'do' the first pair for free.

Wondering why anyone would do this, some very strange fetishes come to mind... thanks, but no thanks.  :o

MeTekillot

« Reply #36259 on: June 30, 2018, 06:56:06 PM »
You get stalked a lot!

lordcooper

« Reply #36260 on: June 30, 2018, 10:51:39 PM »
Some guy on some forum just offered to clean my shoes professionally. He'd even pay the delivery charges and 'do' the first pair for free.

Wondering why anyone would do this, some very strange fetishes come to mind... thanks, but no thanks.  :o

Can we send him my hiking boots instead?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Bebop

« Reply #36261 on: July 01, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »
You get stalked a lot!

Unfortunately, that seems to go with the territory of womanhood.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36262 on: July 05, 2018, 05:22:47 AM »
I have a supernatural ability to sense leaking water.  Woke up in the middle of the night because I could hear water dripping on to carpet in my basement.

Bebop

« Reply #36263 on: July 06, 2018, 12:43:47 AM »
I can't stop listening to the entire Hamilton soundtrack on repeat.

"Sit down Jooooohn, you fat mother fucker!"  I laugh every time.

Riev

« Reply #36264 on: July 06, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »

I spent 3 months listening to the first half on repeat. Then I started listening to the second half. I cry, still.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Bebop

« Reply #36265 on: July 07, 2018, 02:06:21 AM »

I spent 3 months listening to the first half on repeat. Then I started listening to the second half. I cry, still.

It's so good.  That ending sneaks up on you.  I may or may not have listened to it for the first time at work and teared up at my desk.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 10:38:55 AM by Bebop »

Bebop

« Reply #36266 on: July 12, 2018, 10:51:29 AM »
The new NIN album is disappointing but the new Coheed and Cambria single touches me in all the right places.

James de Monet

« Reply #36267 on: July 13, 2018, 01:28:25 AM »
new Coheed and Cambria

Squee.  I walked into a bookstore and asked if they had The Amory Wars (Claudio's graphic novel(s) that tell the story of their albums, for the non-C&C fans).  The clerk got visibly uncomfortable.  I wonder what he thought it was.

My random thought was that "decimated" is one of those words that people generously misapply.  But it's been going on so long that the corrupted definitions have won out.  Of course, my complaint is also a few hundred years too late.  Ah, well.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Hauwke

« Reply #36268 on: July 13, 2018, 07:40:58 AM »
Decimated applies to a tenth of something. Hence, deci.

James de Monet

« Reply #36269 on: July 13, 2018, 08:07:56 PM »
Originally, yes.  But people now use it to mean “practically wiped out”.  That’s my point. Having 60-90% of your forces destroyed (generally, by an enemy) is a pretty far cry from having 10% of your forces destroyed punitively by your own side, which was the original (if not necessarily Roman contemporary) meaning.
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36270 on: July 13, 2018, 08:21:48 PM »
Yeah but in real battles, most units/armies would have broken long before even 10% of their number were killed.  To actually lose 1 in 10 men was indeed considered a devastating defeat.  The meaning of the word is still mostly unchanged even if the technicalities are lost on most people.

Medena

« Reply #36271 on: July 13, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

"It's totally fine to use 'decimate' as a synonym for 'devastate'."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-original-definition-of-decimate
Quote from: J S Bach
If it ain't baroque, don't fix it.

James de Monet

« Reply #36272 on: July 15, 2018, 05:14:51 AM »
"It's totally fine to use 'decimate' as a synonym for 'devastate'."

Yeah.  Generations of misapplication will do that to a word.

The meaning of the word is still mostly unchanged even if the technicalities are lost on most people.

The original meaning was primarily punitive, though.  It’d be like substituting the phrase “industrial accident” for “genocide”.  Did people die horribly in both cases?  Yup.  But it misconveys both volume and causation.  It’s just...wrong.  Even if it’s been wrong so long it’s now right.  Still sigh worthy.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36273 on: July 18, 2018, 03:11:45 AM »
There is just so god damn much media to absorb. Im not talking about pure fluff media, or lowest denominator bullshit. Im talking about brilliant art. Brilliant writing. Brilliant documentaries, talk shows, forums, podcasts, speeches, lectures, articles, studies, experiments.

And im not talking about some bastardization of the word brilliant. I mean the people behind these things are geniuses who have excelled so far beyond the lamen understanding of the topic they specialize in that they need other brilliant people to help explain it.

And then theres the amazingly well crafted entertainment media that encorportaes these brilliant ideas into easily understandable formats because the people creating them are also absolute experts in their field.

And I fucking want it all. I want it all but I also want more complete and comprehensible understanding of every single topic. But that is just not possible.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:14:02 AM by RogueGunslinger »

mansa

« Reply #36274 on: July 18, 2018, 11:58:16 AM »
There is just so god damn much media to absorb....
And I fucking want it all. I want it all but I also want more complete and comprehensible understanding of every single topic. But that is just not possible.

There is some interesting cyberpunk stories about the addiction of information.
Maybe you could explore writing a short story about it?
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one