Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1333550 times)

cnemus

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36225 on: May 27, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
I wonder if real life psychos play normal people on Zalanthas.

No, I do not.
Quote from: Kalaziel
Just remember, the code is there to support your RP not the other way around  :)

ShaLeah

« Reply #36226 on: May 27, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
I wonder if real life psychos play normal people on Zalanthas.

No, I do not.

Buahaha!
Quote from: Anonymous
I'm sorry to see that your personal resolution to this went in that direction, but wish you the best.

Bebop

« Reply #36227 on: May 29, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Tried to post something.  It did not post. Alas.

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #36228 on: May 29, 2018, 11:47:43 PM »
First day back to school, in years. Feels weird but also like I'm doing the right thing, this time.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36229 on: May 30, 2018, 07:36:29 AM »
All my posts will look like this from now on, subject to change whenever it stops amusing me.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36230 on: May 30, 2018, 07:37:50 AM »
Nevermind it makes me look like Desertman.

Cind

« Reply #36231 on: June 05, 2018, 07:59:17 PM »
Who makes more, the top singers, the top bands or the top actors? (I'm betting the top singers.)

Do mathematicians play the lottery?
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

Brytta Léofa

« Reply #36232 on: June 06, 2018, 02:04:20 AM »
I'll be going to university next year or the following. God, not looking forward to some of the more outspoken (5%) of either the far left/right shouting at the top of their lungs.

Okay man, so is this happening?
then the father hen will call his chickens home

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36233 on: June 08, 2018, 08:45:41 PM »
I'm only now realizing how much time I wasted complaining about code and wishing it were better. Armageddon is a great medium for roleplaying. But its gameplay(and all mud gameplay for that matter) is pretty shit. I wish we'd focus less on the code and the gameplay and more on creating stories.

When we focus on gameplay it should not be "how can we make this gameplay fun." it should be "how can this gameplay help us tell a story."

Gunnerblaster

« Reply #36234 on: June 09, 2018, 12:46:31 PM »
Those who can stomach being a Caregiver are saints.

Hence why I am resigning for the much more menial job of stocking at a liquor store.
Quote from: LauraMars
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Laura, did weird tribal men follow you around at age 15?
If by weird tribal men you mean Christians then yes.

Quote from: Malifaxis
She was teabagging me.

My own mother.

boog

« Reply #36235 on: June 10, 2018, 12:12:02 AM »
I'll be going to university next year or the following. God, not looking forward to some of the more outspoken (5%) of either the far left/right shouting at the top of their lungs.

Okay man, so is this happening?

the far enough left do not scream
they just shoot russian monarchs and their families, comrade
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36236 on: June 14, 2018, 06:17:13 AM »
I should start saying "of accident" to piss off pedants.

Akaramu

« Reply #36237 on: June 17, 2018, 10:47:01 AM »
For the first time ever, my edited work (another author's, but he pays me well so whatevs) is sent directly to an audiobook producer. I've never worked with a voice actor / audiobook narrator before, so this is new and exciting.  8) It's a German book that was translated from English.

I'm glad the book author decided to hire me for a re-edit, too. The previous version was supposedly proofread (twice, by different proofreaders) but so riddled with errors and exotic expressions / sentence structure the narrator would have gone crazy after 15 minutes tops. The translator isn't nearly as good as he thinks he is, either.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36238 on: June 17, 2018, 12:57:28 PM »
Although closely related, there are so many interesting words and phrases in each that just don't have precise translations.  I always find those differences fascinating and amusing.

For example, I've found it's really difficult to apologize in German.  There just isn't a word that politely means "sorry" in the same way Americans/Canadians/English people mean it.

On the other side, for the super common exchange "Danke schön!"/"Bitte schön!" is much more elegant than the English equivalent "Thank you"/"You're welcome" or "No problem", which always feel to me like they have clunky, unnecessary implications about effort and obligation.

Also, German is an amazing language for naming obscure emotions.  English has blatantly stolen "Angst" and "Schadenfreude".  In these troubling political times, I also really wish we were making more use of "Weltschmerz", which literally means "world-pain" and figuratively means discomfort with the state of the world coupled with frustration of not being able to do anything about it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 01:03:05 PM by Marauder Moe »

Bebop

« Reply #36239 on: June 17, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »
I love language so much.  I studied French for two years in college before I ran out of money.

Speaking of how to say sorry it's kind of similar in French.  There is pardon and desolé but I've found that due to French culture desolé carries a lot of weight or formality so whereas you might say sorry!  In English when you bump into someone or sorry, no.  That just doesn't seem right in French and comes off almost as condescending.  You would just use pardon.

When I was in France a man was asking me for money at the train station and I was like, Non desolé j'ai ne pas.  Which is roughly in shitty French like - no, sorry I don't have it or I don't have.  To which he mockingly chided, desolé, desolé, desolé!  At which point we had then mutually insulted each other.

Everyone told me French people would be happy if I made the effort including my French teacher.
Lies.

Armaddict

« Reply #36240 on: June 17, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
In german, you can leave off the 'es' in the phrase for sorry.  'Tut mir leid' is fine.  3 syllables, but they're quick and off the cuff.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36241 on: June 17, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
Is that used casually?  Like, if you bump into someone on the subway or are taking too long counting out coins to pay for your coffee? 

I always thought that "Es tut mir leid" was expressing some serious empathy, or at least kind of an intentional exaggeration when you want to be overly dramatic/gregarious.

Akaramu

« Reply #36242 on: June 17, 2018, 05:24:11 PM »
I always thought that "Es tut mir leid" was expressing some serious empathy, or at least kind of an intentional exaggeration when you want to be overly dramatic/gregarious.

"Tut mir leid" is casual, but "Es tut mir leid" isn't any more dramatic / gregarious.

"Oh mein Gott, das tut mir so, so leid" is the dramatic version.  :)

Malken

« Reply #36243 on: June 17, 2018, 05:25:25 PM »
I love language so much.  I studied French for two years in college before I ran out of money.

Speaking of how to say sorry it's kind of similar in French.  There is pardon and desolé but I've found that due to French culture desolé carries a lot of weight or formality so whereas you might say sorry!  In English when you bump into someone or sorry, no.  That just doesn't seem right in French and comes off almost as condescending.  You would just use pardon.

Not really, pardon and désolé are pretty much the same.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Armaddict

« Reply #36244 on: June 17, 2018, 05:58:29 PM »

"Tut mir leid" is casual, but "Es tut mir leid" isn't any more dramatic / gregarious.

"Oh mein Gott, das tut mir so, so leid" is the dramatic version.  :)

Yeah, I meant to get around the mouthful that us western people think that phrase is.  We think it's huge in order to just say 'sorry', but you can shorten it up and it's still the casual 'sorry'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Akaramu

« Reply #36245 on: June 17, 2018, 07:05:12 PM »
Yeah, I meant to get around the mouthful that us western people think that phrase is.  We think it's huge in order to just say 'sorry', but you can shorten it up and it's still the casual 'sorry'.

'Entschuldigung' is pretty common as well. Or 'sorry'. German speaking people say sorry, too. I know I do ;)

Bebop

« Reply #36246 on: June 18, 2018, 01:23:30 PM »

I guess that guy was just being mean 🤣 my teacher would also kind of steer me towards pardon and get annoyed if I over used desole casually.  Strange.

I ran into two other Parisians that were super quick and terse on correcting my French.  Still traumatized.  I asked one person if he could write down a word for me and he looked like I had slapped him in the face. ☹️

Malken

« Reply #36247 on: June 18, 2018, 05:02:50 PM »

I guess that guy was just being mean 🤣 my teacher would also kind of steer me towards pardon and get annoyed if I over used desole casually.  Strange.

I ran into two other Parisians that were super quick and terse on correcting my French.  Still traumatized.  I asked one person if he could write down a word for me and he looked like I had slapped him in the face. ☹️

Pardon is just short for pardonnez-moi "excuse me" and désolé is just "sorry", so technically the more 'formal' one would probably be 'pardonnez-moi', but yeah, you can use either depending on the case.. Like if you want someone to move out of the way, you'd say 'pardon', but if you bump into someone you'd say 'désolé', but either one would work well.

Also, Parisians are pricks, everyone knows that heheh, but everywhere outside of Paris, most French people are super nice and you'd have a totally different experience. That's why I always tell my students who want to visit France to get out of Paris as soon as they can and see the REAL France :)

And from my experience with Germany, I mostly always heard 'entschuldigung' for sorry and only very rarely 'es tut mir leid'
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

Bebop

« Reply #36248 on: June 18, 2018, 05:20:49 PM »

Pardon is just short for pardonnez-moi "excuse me" and désolé is just "sorry", so technically the more 'formal' one would probably be 'pardonnez-moi', but yeah, you can use either depending on the case.. Like if you want someone to move out of the way, you'd say 'pardon', but if you bump into someone you'd say 'désolé', but either one would work well.

Also, Parisians are pricks, everyone knows that heheh, but everywhere outside of Paris, most French people are super nice and you'd have a totally different experience. That's why I always tell my students who want to visit France to get out of Paris as soon as they can and see the REAL France :)

And from my experience with Germany, I mostly always heard 'entschuldigung' for sorry and only very rarely 'es tut mir leid'

On the plus side I will never forget how to pronounce "florentine" and "pommade" haha

MeTekillot

« Reply #36249 on: June 21, 2018, 02:48:16 PM »
I'm in this hardcore communist group on Facebook (mostly for yuks) and they stay posting shit in support of Stalin and the North Korean regime. I'm like, seventy-ish percent sure that a significant minority or even a scant majority of them are just narcs. They have impeccable profile picture composition and look to be in their thirties. Then again, they could just be strung out photography majors. One wonders.