Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1395272 times)

Marauder Moe

Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36125 on: December 28, 2017, 12:32:03 PM »
Yes.  It has been measured with satellites.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36126 on: December 28, 2017, 01:43:52 PM »
I wonder if anyone has ever had the idea of solving problems that require a lot of computer processing time, by strapping said computer to a rocket and accelerating it to some large fraction of the speed of light on a "time trip" away from and back to earth.

If we even had a propulsion system capable of such, it would have literally the opposite effect of what you are intending.

From a stationary observer watching a loading screen moving at near light speeds the spinning loading icon would slow down not speed up.  It would take even longer for the computations to occur for the stationary observer.

Oh shit, you are right. Brain fart. You would have to accelerate away from and back to the computer.

Edit: for some reason it's really bugging my brain that object A moving away from and back to object B is that fundamentally different from object B moving away from and back to object A.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 01:50:28 PM by RogueGunslinger »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36127 on: December 28, 2017, 01:59:02 PM »
It should bother you more that they're not different at all.

EDIT: Or rather, from an observation standpoint, people on Earth see the spacecraft's clock slowing down, but on the spacecraft they see clocks on Earth slowing down.  When you add the return trip into the equation, there is indeed a difference.

What still bothers me is that if you launch two spacecraft in opposite directions and both approach light speed, when a spacecraft looks back and measures the other spacecraft's speed they only see it moving at near light speed, not twice light speed.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 02:07:00 PM by Marauder Moe »

Ender

« Reply #36128 on: December 28, 2017, 03:05:42 PM »
Moe is correct.  There is no fundamental difference between the two, its all about relative perspectives in spacetime. 
man
/mn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Hauwke

« Reply #36129 on: December 28, 2017, 03:11:06 PM »
Thats why its the theory of relativity folks!

Science is probably one of my favorite things ever, but my science classes in school mostly focused on the absolute basics which I more or less already knew, that combined with outside factors meant my science studies were lacking and thus! I am somewhat behind on a few things and far ahead on others.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36130 on: December 29, 2017, 01:47:03 AM »
Moe is correct.  There is no fundamental difference between the two, its all about relative perspectives in spacetime. 

I mean, that's exactly what is hard to understand. An object moving away from you is the same as you moving away from the object, because they are relative. But increasing velocity is having a different effect on time for you than it is for the object. This has something to do with the fact that moving through space is moving through time. The force of acceleration only happens to one of the objects, so only one object moves through time. Or something like that..

I suppose I was trying to say the fundamental difference is that one is accelerating and  the other is stationary.

As for General Relativity... That shit is way more complicated than people give it credit for. Maybe I also needed a better teacher when I was younger because reading through Einsteins book on it a few years ago was too hard to wrap my brain around past chapter 3 or so. And it is kind of written for the laymen.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 01:55:21 AM by RogueGunslinger »

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36131 on: December 29, 2017, 02:07:51 AM »
Hey look, I found a wiki page that explains the exact confusion I was having:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox

Edit: And after a cursory read it's much more complicated than a simple "one is accelerating". I'm not going to even pretend to understand what an inertial reference frame is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 02:14:34 AM by RogueGunslinger »

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36132 on: December 29, 2017, 02:33:01 AM »
Hehe, I was just about to post that.

Inertial reference frame just means traveling as a certain velocity (speed and direction) in space.  Earth stays in one frame (not moving), the space craft travels in another frame (moving away), then transitions to a third frame (moving back), before returning to the Earth frame.

It's actually kind of an important concept even in non-relativistic space travel.  Getting to orbit isn't just a matter of going up a few hundred miles, you need to be moving fast enough not to fall down.  Space travel is much less about "places" and "distances" than it is about speed (aka orbital energy).  Useful maps of the solar system don't tell you how far away Mars is, but rather how much you'll need to accelerate to get there.  [My fellow Kerbal Space Program players know what I'm talking about.]

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36133 on: December 29, 2017, 02:49:51 AM »
God I loved KSP. I wish it could have kept my interest past the first 100 hours, I feel like once I was docking and getting back from other planets I had figured out everything I wanted to. Everything else was going to be much more complicated and required more finesse and skill than I wanted to learn. I was always too big of a chicken to get into the mathematics and just used great mods like MechJeb to assist me.

Hauwke

« Reply #36134 on: December 29, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »
I personally tried to use mechjeb, but could never get it to work, despite the fact I have 6 or so other mods working on it.

KSP is an amazing learning tool, my autistic brother said to me a couple months back after I put KSP on his laptop: "Howcome when I go up I dont stay up?"

It was a good 2+ hours later when he finally understood that its about falling so fast you never hit the ground.  But a week later he was throwing Kerbals at the Mun. And a week or so after that, he was super excited because me completed a mission to Duna and managed to return. (With the use of the infinite fuel cheat but still.)

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #36135 on: December 30, 2017, 12:43:23 AM »
good gracious I have not been this sick in a long time. R.I.P., drowned in snot.
"There are no happy endings, because nothing ends." - Schmendrick

Ender

« Reply #36136 on: December 30, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »
[My fellow Kerbal Space Program players know what I'm talking about.]

That Delta V!

KSP really helped me understand the nuts and bolts of relative speeds in a very practical way.  It helped me stop thinking of space travel as "going from here to there" and more as "plan around your fuel, timing, and angle."  The most jarring experience is the first time planning an encounter to go to where something is going to be rather than where it is.
man
/mn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

James de Monet

« Reply #36137 on: January 04, 2018, 05:44:16 AM »
This might sound crazy.

Tonight I happened to end up eating a pumpkin ice cream sandwich at the same time as I was drinking a Manhattan.  Normally I would not touch any ice cream labeled pumpkin with a 10 foot pole, but it was Its-It*, so...  And normally I would not allow some faceless corporation to pre-mix my Manhattan, but it was High West**, so...  And normally, I would never expect to have a pleasant experience mixing ice cream and rye whisky, but the situation called for it.  And somehow, on some weird level, all of these things totally worked together.  Like, amazingly well.  Like, someone should deconstruct this for a dessert course at a swanky restaurant, well.  I dont understand why, but they just turned into a great pairing.  Super weird.

*Its a California thing
**Its a Utah thing
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36138 on: January 04, 2018, 06:10:59 AM »
That, my friend, is called falling in love.

Akaramu

« Reply #36139 on: January 04, 2018, 09:32:50 PM »
I... I might have to post in the date thread at some point, after years of being 100% convinced I never would. ZOMG THE MEN! I guess there's a bit of truth in the saying that women really get into gear as they get older, after all.

(Plus I STILL look 29. Thanks, Mom, for the genes.)

(my mom is 68 and looks 50)

Hauwke

« Reply #36140 on: January 04, 2018, 11:04:15 PM »
My mum is 40 and the age is only just starting to catch her. Dad on the other hand looks something like a wrinkled ball-sac. So I too, look vaguely balls like.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #36141 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »
At 34 I am looking pretty zombie like.

Thankfully I hooked my wife early. She is 30 and looks to maintain her foxiness well into her 80s. To me, at least.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

James de Monet

« Reply #36142 on: January 05, 2018, 02:13:40 PM »
That, my friend, is called falling in love.

Heh
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

James de Monet

« Reply #36143 on: January 20, 2018, 12:49:18 AM »
Well, Im no longer getting up at 4am. Shutdown shots all around!

Hauwke

« Reply #36144 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:43 AM »
Dude, seriously fuck whoever created 4am starts. Right in the back end.

Just finished watching Chappie for the first time. It was pretty good.

Akaramu

« Reply #36145 on: January 22, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
Today I sent an important email for my next door neighbor who doesn't have internet. He's also looking for a job. How do you look for jobs without internet or an email address? :o

I wouldn't last 3 days without internet. Maybe not even one.

Cind

« Reply #36146 on: January 23, 2018, 04:14:37 AM »
Once I stopped living in Arm I stopped using the internet for about a week. Then I rediscovered youtube and everything.

Thinking about logging back in. I like playing with an apartment though, and I dunno if I want to sink time into keeping one.

I genuinely like it when people think I am a newbie (usually because I don't know much about hunting.) I like how talking with them is different and how they keep mentioning the notion of jobs.
Look, a petting tregil.  So silky...Feel him.

MeTekillot

« Reply #36147 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:06 PM »
I always wonder if it's someone worrying about my mental health every time I get a PM, I should really not be so maudlin on the internet.
"The winner of a knife fight is usually the one that wants it most."

Miradus

« Reply #36148 on: February 28, 2018, 01:03:13 PM »
I always wonder if it's someone worrying about my mental health every time I get a PM, I should really not be so maudlin on the internet.

The new and returned MeT seems to be on a pretty even keel but the old MeT clearly had some issues. You'll just have some legacy rep to clean up (or outlive). That's all.

Molten Heart

« Reply #36149 on: February 28, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 03:32:22 AM by Molten Heart »