Author Topic: A Random Thought  (Read 1140527 times)

HavokBlue

• Helper
Re: A Random Thought
« Reply #36100 on: November 29, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
I hate when I encounter a character in a work of fiction that I so badly want to play in Armageddon because when I let it inspire a PC, I feel like a derivative lazy butthead.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Delirium

• Helper
« Reply #36101 on: November 29, 2017, 07:08:47 PM »
I never feel bad. And while they may be originally inspired by a character or three, they develop into something uniquely their own. All of my longest-lived and fun PCs started out with something like "man, I like this character, and I like this other character's look, and I'm gonna mash that shit up and play it."
Will they tell your story in the end?
Who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

KankWhisperer

« Reply #36102 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:00 AM »
It feels weird to see a bunch of echos and descriptions that you never knew existed and admire how well done they are, then realize that soon no one new may ever see them.

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #36103 on: November 30, 2017, 02:56:16 PM »
So the main area I'm lacking for this job I want to apply for is in recruiting candidates and interviewing for new positions.

... unless you count my 10+ years of Arm leadership roles.

... maybe I should put that in my cover letter.

Riev

« Reply #36104 on: November 30, 2017, 03:27:00 PM »
So the main area I'm lacking for this job I want to apply for is in recruiting candidates and interviewing for new positions.

Just prove you know how to not ask for sensitive information, and/or know the law about what you can and can't ask (which I'm sure you've got a good handle on).

My RAT: I've been sick for the past couple days, but because it involves chest pain my mind immediately goes to "you're having a heartattack" despite the doctor telling me numerous times that there is no signs of that in any way.
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

mansa

« Reply #36105 on: November 30, 2017, 04:09:49 PM »
I've talked about 'gaming' in my last two job interviews.  Both were what type of games I enjoy and why.

I said - 'i enjoy competitive co-op objective-based games with groups of 5 or more'

(Counterstrike and world of Warcraft)

I said I dislike single player games, casual phone games, or games with no objective besides 'be the best and kill everyone'

It seemed to work.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Is Friday

« Reply #36106 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:50 PM »

I'll recruit for you.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

valeria

• I have a writing blog.
« Reply #36107 on: December 01, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
I've talked about 'gaming' in my last two job interviews.  Both were what type of games I enjoy and why. ...

It seemed to work.

It's a shame that the legal profession as a whole is so stuffy. I think it totally could work in a different type of job.

I'll recruit for you.

Okay, new idea for my cover letter: I have a friend who's a recruiter, he'll totally fly out to Michigan to recruit for me GUYS I SWEAR.

Is Friday

« Reply #36108 on: December 01, 2017, 01:58:37 PM »
I can talk to you about it once we get going again on our writing group homie. I just gotta buy a mic.
Quote from: shadowspeak discord
did you just meet a ridiculously unfuckable psychotic female character? It's 75% likely that Is_Friday is playing it! unfuckable, unwantable, unloveable, poorly played, stereotype-driven, abusive, and shallow!

lordcooper

« Reply #36109 on: December 01, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »
So is this Flynn thing actually a big deal, or is reddit just getting overexcited again?
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

fuck authority smoke weed erryday

oh and here's a free videogame.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36110 on: December 01, 2017, 04:13:22 PM »
A bit of both.  The Special Counsel team has been very disciplined and tight-lipped.  Pretty much everything you hear is either hearsay or speculation.

It is a fact that Flynn has plead guilty because court records are public.  It is highly likely (like 99%), given the relatively small charge and other recent actions by his legal team, that he's cooperating with the investigation.

However, the content of his confession/testimony (whether Trump personally ordered Russian contacts or it was someone else) is not officially known.

Trump will still be president on Christmas.

deskoft

« Reply #36111 on: December 01, 2017, 07:19:08 PM »
Too many of my characters can be described with Hamilton songs???

Harmless

« Reply #36112 on: December 03, 2017, 10:41:09 PM »
NSFW: The ET show "Extreme Cheapskate" gives plenty of examples of how to roleplay your "barter" skill: https://goo.gl/32L9H7 NSFW but on youtube.

I thought it was funny because you know every time you bought a "furred, black leather thong" in Tuluk it was sold to that merchant by another PC before you
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 12:31:22 AM by Harmless »
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

Melkor

« Reply #36113 on: December 04, 2017, 10:34:01 AM »
"2 sid is a little out of my price range...."

"Gtfo beggar."
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

WarriorPoet

« Reply #36114 on: December 16, 2017, 06:28:48 PM »
Fitzgerald on the Western Front:

"This western-front business couldn’t be done again, not for a long time. The young men think they could do it but they couldn’t. They could fight the first Marne again but not this. This took religion and years of plenty and tremendous sureties and the exact relation that existed between the classes. The Russians and Italians weren’t any good on this front. You had to have a whole-souled sentimental equipment going back further than you could remember. You had to remember Christmas, and postcards of the Crown Prince and his fiancée, and little cafés in Valence and beer gardens in Unter den Linden and weddings at the mairie, and going to the Derby, and your grandfather’s whiskers.”

“General Grant invented this kind of battle at Petersburg in sixty- five.”

“No, he didn’t — he just invented mass butchery. This kind of battle was invented by Lewis Carroll and Jules Verne and whoever wrote Undine, and country deacons bowling and marraines in Marseilles and girls seduced in the back lanes of Wurtemburg and Westphalia. Why, this was a love battle — there was a century of middle-class love spent here. This was the last love battle.”

That is so vivid. Words. Damn.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36115 on: December 19, 2017, 08:25:13 PM »
Say im feeling hungry and fatigued. I have four hours of work left. There is some sugar on the desk and thats the only thing around to eat.

Would I be better off toughing it out for four hours. Or taking a spoonful to stave fatigue.

Is it possible to keep your blood sugar level on small amounts of sugar to avoid fatigue or will it just spike regardlessly, causing a worse crash than not eating at all would have?

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36116 on: December 19, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
Like, actual sugar or is it candy?

If it's sugar you could mix it in some water drink it slowly.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36117 on: December 19, 2017, 09:44:24 PM »
Candy is probably more realistic.

Melkor

« Reply #36118 on: December 20, 2017, 03:25:42 AM »
I have a couple issues with your question.
Fatigue. You are associating fatigue with going a few hours without eating, which is pretty silly, unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. If this is the case, ask your doctor, not Armageddon forums.
The human body is built to burn fat stores when you run out of available macronutrients to be converted to caloric energy.
Hunger. Again, you are associating hunger with going a few hours without eating. It sounds more like you are bored or seeking consumption endorphins to help you get through the unstimulating workday.
Crash. A healthy individual should not really -crash- from not eating for such a short period of time. You may experience a flush from your body starting catabolysis, but not a legitimate crash.
Actually, it sounds like you're describing a diabetic. Talk to a doctor.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36119 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
Those are all great points. I was having a debate with someone over whether, if they are feeling faint or shaky, if it would be best to eat that sugar. For some reason I was merging the ideas of hunger, energy and blood sugar. I wonder how common that misconception is.

Anyways they kept saying the resulting crash would drop you even lower than you would have hit otherwise. Something that rang true, but I couldnt get over the idea that if someone was low on energy they should eat regardless of what it was they ate.

So the answer was that we are both misunderstanding the realities of the argument we were having.

Melkor

« Reply #36120 on: December 20, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »
That sounds like an accurate assessment.

Now, anecdotally, especially while I'm working a more physical job, I can tell when I burnt through all of the food I ate that day, because I get super warm out of nowhere, get a little flush, and will slow down by about 10% (easy to know when your production is being tracked second to second, based on thousands of markers of progression) for a good 15 minutes, then, my body switches over to burning fat, and I'm back in the game. Drinking honey-water, I can stave off that flush almost instantly, temporarily; but honey requires no digestion, it goes straight to your blood stream.
That sugar in my blood stream that will temporarily stave off catabolysis would last longer if I wasn't burning so many calories.

I wonder if there is a misconception to consider the flush of catabolysis to be a "crash."

I've tried a few extreme tests on myself just to see how my body would react to different situations. I once fasted for 100 hours, only consuming water. On the tail end of that, I didn't have as much energy as if I had been eating well, but I was still functioning. At the very end, I got a headache that immediately dissipated once I got new carbs into my system.
I once took a week off of carbs, which had a similar effect. I got a headache near the end that went away onec I consumed sugar.

The body is very resilient when it comes to dietary needs, unless there are other circumstances (like diabetes) effecting it.

Marauder Moe

« Reply #36121 on: December 26, 2017, 06:53:24 PM »
How is it that the average car battery stores like 45 Ah (45,000 mAh) of power while this $30 phone charger battery I bought off amazon, which fits in my pocket, can store more than half that (24,000 mAh)?

Are there any large batteries out there designed to store massive amounts of power just for gadgets?

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #36122 on: December 28, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »
I wonder if anyone has ever had the idea of solving problems that require a lot of computer processing time, by strapping said computer to a rocket and accelerating it to some large fraction of the speed of light on a "time trip" away from and back to earth.

Ender

« Reply #36123 on: December 28, 2017, 12:16:18 PM »
I wonder if anyone has ever had the idea of solving problems that require a lot of computer processing time, by strapping said computer to a rocket and accelerating it to some large fraction of the speed of light on a "time trip" away from and back to earth.

If we even had a propulsion system capable of such, it would have literally the opposite effect of what you are intending.

From a stationary observer watching a loading screen moving at near light speeds the spinning loading icon would slow down not speed up.  It would take even longer for the computations to occur for the stationary observer.
man
/mæn/

-noun

1.   A biped, ungrateful.

Melkor

« Reply #36124 on: December 28, 2017, 12:20:13 PM »
Beat me to it. Sci-fi has taught me that much.

Btw, is that phenomenon even real? I know we are not capable of travel at light-speed, but is the math solid that time would slow for the traveler? Never looked into this, just took it at face value.