Crafting, Analyze, Submissions

Started by , April 29, 2003, 09:31:57 PM

Ive run into a number of items that I believe I should be able to craft, but analyze either produces a "Huh?" or "What?" I forget, or the following situation that results in a blank line like:

<Prompt> analyze object (hit return)
<Prompt>

Does this mean that I might be able to craft the object just my skill isnt great enough? Or does it mean it is something that I should be able to craft but isnt coded that way. (i.e. it is a "weapon" type, but doesnt have craft code along with it to be recognized by the "weaponcrafting" skill.)

And being such are players allowed to submit via the template, a craft code snippet for these objects? Or are some things made also intentionally not to be crafted, yet sold in bulk.

http://www.zalanthas.org/ArmDocs/Community/format.html#crafting

Usually, the huh? or whatever messages mean that analyze hasn't been implemented on the item.  Though that might also mean you don't have the available skill related to it... I'm not a coder so I'll let one of them tackle it.

The above page shows you how to submit crafting things, for both existing objects and ones you make up on your own.  We're always happy to get both.  Hope that answers some of your questions.

-Shinigami
Quote from: DeliriumA hunched shinigami prowls around here, gnashing its teeth.

People keep getting 'Huh?' when they analyze objects.  This has never happened to me.
If you analyze something, it can be crafted and you have the right skill, you will get a list of the combos that can make that item:
<prompt>
That appears to be made from a rock and another rock.
That appears to be made from a rock and sexual healing.

If you analyze something, it can be crafted and you don't have the right skill, it'll give you something along the lines of:  'You cannot tell how that is made.'

If you analyze something and it can't be crafted, it gives you a blank space.

Huh? has never appeared for me (and I've tried hard to get it to appear, for the purposes of this post).  Maybe you're not holding the object right, or you're misspelling the command, or there're psychic disruptions... who knows.

Quote from: "Gorobei"If you analyze something, it can be crafted and you don't have the right skill, it'll give you something along the lines of: 'You cannot tell how that is made.'

I've NEVER received that... I've either seen what the object is made out of, a huh? or what? I'm not sure which, OR a blank line. I don't know the difference between a blank line and the huh? or what? and have asked before and either never got a straight answer... Or forgot. Might still be about if you search for it.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

It is likely that you did not spell it correctly. That is the only reason that Huh? or What? would ever appear on your screen when using this command, analyze.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Huh and what are the unrecognized imput returns, you probly spelled it wrong, the nul message or blank return means the item is not craftable, this is per Sanvean, but I am too lazy to find her post and quote it, Items that you do not have the skill in one way or another to craft and are craftable will give you one of a couple messages telling you so, and in a way, they even tell you why.

Also, by my estimate, less then 30% of items in game currently are craftable, So, by all means, making crafting submissions for existing items, I think Sanvean also made a call for them a while back...hey Sanvean, how is that going?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Analyze should have four possible results:
1)  Tells you what its made from - you have the skill to make it
2)  Says you have some idea but aren't sure - you have the right skill but not at a hight enough level
3)  You can't tell - its craftable but you don't have that skill
4)  Blank - its not craftable.

That's my understanding - but it could be incorrect...
laloc Wrote
Trust, I think, is the most fundamental tool which allows us to play this game. Without trust, we may as well just be playing a Hack and Slash, and repopping in Midgaard after slaying a bunch of Smurfs.

Also keep in mind that analyze itself is a skill. If you get a recipe I don't think it's ever a wrong recipe, but you can "not be sure" how to make something when analyzing it right after you get done crafting it.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Quote from: "X-D"Huh and what are the unrecognized imput returns, you probly spelled it wrong, the nul message or blank return means the item is not craftable, this is per Sanvean, but I am too lazy to find her post and quote it, Items that you do not have the skill in one way or another to craft and are craftable will give you one of a couple messages telling you so, and in a way, they even tell you why.

Well, I remember the null one means it's not craftable, but you can get the Huh? or What? even if you spell it right but I can't remember why you get that. And again, I've never received anything besides those two things and it being craftable... So guess either I was a bad ass crafter, or it wasn't craftable... SHRUG. Most weren't craftable... But I've recieved they Huh? or What? when I SPELLED it right, and when I had both the analyze skill skill and the right crafting skills for the object. SHRUG.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Well, that is odd then creeper, I have never gotten it except when I had done something wrong syntax/spelling wise....also, if you are weaponscrafter sub, you can make any type of weapon pierce/slash/knife/chop/polearms and more, but you cannot make the simplest weapons known to man, blundgeaning, yup, can carve down some bone and make a nicely balanced and deadly throwing dagger or sword but not a simple club or staff...sigh.

Funny thing is, I know of some craftable blunt weapons, probly merchant only or somesuch...bugs me, can't take a big stick and carve one end down to a handle and beat something to death..ok, I'll shut up now:)
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Perhaps the "Huh?" or "What?" that people are experiencing is not due to misspelling, per se, but the use of a nonexistent keyword, or the addition of punctuation, i.e. "analyze spear." Just a thought.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.