Author Topic: Building Ideas  (Read 5304 times)

Sanvean

• My Website
Building Ideas
« on: May 16, 2008, 03:59:05 PM »
As noted in the staff announcements post, after talking about it at the AIM, we're going to lift the moratorium on building for Arm 1.0, but keep to the no new clans policy. By building, I mean the creation of rooms with accompanying objects and NPCS, but this could also include sets of objects or NPCs.

As far as building goes, the restriction on building personal items for the players is still there. You still need to find a master crafter in the game.

New building projects will do one or more of the following:
* Provide new places or secrets for players to explore
* Create a feeling of change so the world is not stagnant or predictable
* Provide something that will carry over to Arm 2.0 and help create a feeling of continuity between the two games

If you have ideas for new projects, please feel free to post them here or mail them to me.

Tisiphone

Re: Building Ideas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:03:23 PM »
Does this include new wagons?
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

FuSoYa

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:07:32 PM »
Though I doubt I will be taking advantage of this anytime soon I think the fact that you have lifted the ban on anything new is GREAT.  I just want to laud you guys and all the work you do.  I love Armageddon and have never found anything even close to as enjoyable.  Quality shit right here.

Brandon
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

Mood

• Said the Whale - This Winter I Retire
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:19:50 PM »
Though I doubt I will be taking advantage of this anytime soon I think the fact that you have lifted the ban on anything new is GREAT.  I just want to laud you guys and all the work you do.  I love Armageddon and have never found anything even close to as enjoyable.  Quality shit right here.

Brandon
Quote from: H. L.  Mencken
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

mansa

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »

Brandon

So true.  Thanks for making the game alive still!
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

Malken

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 04:29:59 PM »
DIBS ON A NEW WAGON.
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

JustAnotherGuy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:19:01 PM »
In my honest opinion... the 'Rinth needs a bit of love.  It's rather bland and to be honest small.  If someone wishes to play within the 'Rinth and just be in the 'Rinth, there isn't much to it... and the sewers... well, yeah...  I won't go into that too much.

I've always been curious about the Silt Sea that much, but there is very little that is even close to inviting when it comes to exploration out there.  Well, with exception of a Mantis head.

Red Storm... Hmmm, while it's there, I personally haven't felt much of an atmosphere there.  I mean, it's there...  but what involvement does it have with the rest of the world.  Most understand why Luir's is there, but Storm?  Eh, guess I don't get much of anything when I walk in there.

Besides that, Allanak still has a great feeling to it and the surrounding areas are quite nice...  though it's always nice to find a few changes around that will keep people guessing.  Maybe something happens with the normal path some take from 'Nak heading north, or a small change that someone may not notice right away, but may lead into something more.  I have other ideas, but I guess I don't want to get TOO IC about things as there are a few things I personally believe may add a bit of difference to what is currently in the Southern area of the game.  I haven't dealt all that much with the North myself.
Or you might get me.
A staff member sends:
     "Looks like you introduced him to *puts on sunslits* the school of hard Knoxx.  YEEEEAAAAAAH"

manonfire

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 07:30:53 PM »
I'll build the ruins of Steinal.

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 07:56:10 PM »
UnderTuluk:

- Access from other areas
- More adventures to undertake without imms help (like selling salt to Jal in Nak)
- More shops/secret areas/save and quit rooms

I understand there will be no new coded clans built into the game, but some sort of documentation for underTuluk, and Tuluki city elves in general, would please quite a few of us.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

elvenchipmunk

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »
UnderTuluk:

- Access from other areas
- More adventures to undertake without imms help (like selling salt to Jal in Nak)
- More shops/secret areas/save and quit rooms

I understand there will be no new coded clans built into the game, but some sort of documentation for underTuluk, and Tuluki city elves in general, would please quite a few of us.

Yeah! Big thumbs up!
- More access from UnderTuluk to normal Tuluk
- More of an UnderTuluki flavour (Tattooist//Accent? [Accent would be COOL!, like a slight variation of northern that only Northerners would notice?])
- Maybe a little more documentation (though what's given isn't really all that bad).
- Put NPCs back in that rob you if you have expensive gear (too many people with really expensive crap walk around without a problem)
- Bigger array of clothing for sale
- Implementation of NPC coded battles between gangs. By this I just mean those same aggro-NPCs that attack could be from some of the different gangs, and attack other NPCs from different gangs? I don't know, would just like to see more physical evidence of the gang wars that allegedly happen.
- More save rooms for sure! I'd like to see rooms that are like old Tuluki buildings, with different rooms and everything! Gang HQ, anyone?
- So many possibilities! I'm willing to help write anyone of these things if it means UT gets some help.

Glad to hear there will still be building on the new game!

P.S. Play UnderTuluk

-Elvenchipmunk
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
-Winston Churchill

psionic fungus

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 12:50:51 AM »
I would like to see housing added to the Red Sun Commons in Tuluk, and perhaps Friel's Rest as well.  I would prefer at least two more locations for middle to upper class housing that are not in the Poet's Circle.  I would be very glad to see the Warrens revamped to more appropriately reflect the Elven (and mutant) population of the city.

In general the cities need more rooftop rooms and other secret goodness.  ;)

Quote from: Wish
Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Maybe42or54

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 12:52:43 AM »
I would like to see another D-elf camp, or a C-elf camp IN Tuluk.
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Mood

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 01:19:19 AM »
More housing in Allanak. Definitely more housing in Allanak, preferably of the middle/upper class variety.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

Fathi

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 02:26:00 AM »
I would love to see some new scars in the change locdescs room and more added to the custom tattooists in both cities.

The current scar list has some awesome ones, but a lot of them are pretty redundant and there's a lot more that could be added: missing hands, feet, fingers, different types of scars...

I'd also love to see a scar, and then a scar with a similar desc to it that's faded with time so that you can apply it to the same location as PCs age.

Mmm. Scars.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »
I would like to see some more "animal den" type areas in the game. I play in the north so I'm not even very sure about what kind of bugs and scary desert things wander the south, but as a northern example ... gurth burrows ... nests for kylori that are built high up on cliff-sides ... nasty nasty cilops dens, vestric nests? Some of these may already exist in the game and I've just been a lax explorer and don't know about them yet, so, sorry for bringing it up if that's the case, but thus far I've only seen a few dens, and the variety of animals living inside was ... well it wasn't varied at all really.

I'd be willing to help by doing a bit of research into how similiar earth animals make their homes, to better supply the builders with an idea of what the dens might look like ...

Thanks for listening!  ;D
Quote from: i can haz mantis
Random Thought: Don't argue against Musasushi because.... really... you lose.
Quote from: brytta.leofa
Musashi, I hate it when you're right. ;)
Quote from: Nyr
I redacted the whole redacted.

Maso

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 12:04:13 PM »
I'd like to see Allanak given some love, personally. Including the 'Rinth. The quality and diversity in Allanak is nothing compared to Tuluk. It needs more shops, more buildings, NPC's, nooks and crannies and curiosities. Even some of the Noble Estates are a bit lacking in granduer. Yes, there are things happening IG that are good for Allanak, but I personally want to see MORE of this devoted to the Southern City.
emote pees into your eyes deeply

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

manonfire

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
More housing in Allanak. Definitely more housing in Allanak, preferably of the middle/upper class variety.

More multi-room apartments, for sure.

Mood

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
Hell, I'd write up some room descs for apartments in Allanak if some builder would like to implement it.

Maso

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 02:03:15 PM »
Hell, I'd write up some room descs for apartments in Allanak if some builder would like to implement it.

Seconded. I'd love to see more middle to upper class apartments. UPPER especially. If there are people who can afford it, it should be available to them really.

Also, there are certain 'things' and 'activities' that IC'ly exist/happen in the 'Rinth that (as far as I am aware - and I have explored quite exhaustively) aren't represented. Would be nice to see them in the flesh (pun intended). Should IC sensitive ideas be emailed?

I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Elgiva

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 04:00:12 AM »
I would like to see more hide-points in wastes. Natural caves, caverns, holes which are not really "fall into" but rather "oh, here I can hide". Preferably hard to find. Yes, there are many of them, but most of them (AFAIK) are somewhat known. If new ones are going in, it would be great if some of them are quit points.

Yam

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 04:37:48 AM »
And save points.

dustbunny

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 02:31:36 PM »
Wow, ignore me.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 06:11:01 PM by dustbunny »
"The fear of death is the most unjustified of all fears, for there's no risk of accident for someone who's dead." - Albert Einstein

psionic fungus

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
There is housing in Red Storm...

Not that I would be adverse to -more-...

I would rather see other things added to Red Storm...  Perhaps more scripting for the spice-buyer, and a set-up more like clay/obsidian/salt purchasing.  More scripting in general?
Quote from: Wish
Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

Ourla

• My Art Blog
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2008, 12:57:46 AM »
It would be rad to see the two shops that used to be in the Poet's Circle in Tuluk put back in.  They up and disappeared one day.  I miss them.
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 08:02:20 PM »
I'd like to see the jails re-described to better accentuate the other people in them, and what they are. Because right now it seems as if the random room echo's are describing a different room altogether. and I like the echo's.

DANCE COMMANDER

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 06:59:28 PM »
The Dance Commander requires more accessible rooftops.
the lines are drawn
the orders are in
the dance commander's
ready to sin
radio message from hq
dance commander
we love you

Shoka Windrunner

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 01:14:10 PM »
All rooftops should be accessible.  As well as all windows that aren't barred or boarded.  And even then.  They should be there so you can use C-4 and blow them open.  Or something.
At your table, the badass dun-clad female says in tribal-accented sirihish, putting on a piping voice, incongruous not the least because it doesn't get rid of her rasp:
     "'Oh, I killed me a forest cat!' That's nice; I wiped me bum after taking a shit.

Zalanthan

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 03:31:48 AM »
I'm not opposed to adding more apartments of varying degrees of security, but perhaps we could also try out some of these rent-a-workshops before the new incarnation?
"Be the change you want to see in the world." M. Gandhi

Winterless

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 05:20:25 AM »
UnderTuluk:
- More of an UnderTuluki flavour (Tattooist//Accent? [Accent would be COOL!, like a slight variation of northern that only Northerners would notice?])

There is a Rinth accent, I think UnderTuluk should have one too, but not one that is only distinguishable by northerners.

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 06:11:49 AM »
Isn't accent set by starting location?
Last I checked, you couldn't pick UnderTuluk as a starting location.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2008, 07:27:17 AM »
I'd like to see some random slaves outside of the city, upkeeping those roads that run between settlements ... and of course, some military NPCs guarding them while they do it.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2008, 02:13:13 PM »
I'd like to see some random slaves outside of the city, upkeeping those roads that run between settlements ... and of course, some military NPCs guarding them while they do it.

Yes! Along with NPC grebbers outside of the city. Miners and Salters.

Edit: Just realized these NPCs would die faster than the ones in the 'rinth... Might not be such a great idea.

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
Edit: Just realized these NPCs would die faster than the ones in the 'rinth... Might not be such a great idea.

That's why I said put some military type NPC's beside them. Ie ... "a unit of infantry stands here, watching the slaves work"

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2008, 09:10:38 PM »
I was talking about my addition.

musashi

• My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2008, 03:59:48 AM »
Ahhhhh ... well anyway I voted cause I saw your sig.

brytta.leofa

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2008, 08:38:50 AM »
There is housing in Red Storm... Not that I would be adverse to -more-...

Luir's doesn't have any public apartments, AFAIK.  A set of apartments there might stimulate some interesting things: people could rent one and use it as a (small) centrally-located warehouse, for instance.

And trade is gooood.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Maso

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »
There is housing in Red Storm... Not that I would be adverse to -more-...

Luir's doesn't have any public apartments, AFAIK.  A set of apartments there might stimulate some interesting things: people could rent one and use it as a (small) centrally-located warehouse, for instance.

And trade is gooood.

Amen. -What- is that about? Kurac doesn't want the additional income?? Nenyuk doesn't want to invest? What is this madness.  ???

Tisiphone

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2008, 12:19:05 PM »
RS does have public apartments. Look around a bit, you'll find them.
There is no general doctrine which is not capable of eating out our morality if unchecked by the deep-seated habit of direct fellow-feeling with individual fellow-men. -George Eliot

Mood

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2008, 12:33:26 PM »

They're talking about Luirs.

Tisiphone

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2008, 12:36:01 PM »

They're talking about Luirs.

Oh, hey, look at that.

Mood

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 05:13:54 AM »
Air rooms. Air rooms where there currently aren't any, and linking to air rooms from rooms that should be linked, but aren't.

spawnloser

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:54 PM »
For those suggesting all sorts of stuff for UnderTuluk, let's try to NOT make it The Rinth: Part 2, huh?  Having the same old Rinth bits with new faces on them sorta starts making the two areas more and more alike, detracting from both.  I have nothing constructive to add to that, though.

Regarding accents, if there's going to be an accent that only certain people can figure out, the accent code would have to change... and it would have to get applied to other areas too.  The 'Rinth for one.

I'm with everyone that's posted already about rooftops and aerial rooms.

Update the Elementalist quarter:
 - There's been construction on walls for a decade of in game time, should that still be happening?
 - There's rubble/debris that should have been cleaned up a long time ago too.  We've even had PCs try to change this, and it doesn't have to be a major project, really.
 - Some sort of response whether a certain project pursued by PCs will receive any attention in the first place (tavern-like proposal)
Quote from: Malifaxis
We need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiteration
spawnloser knows all

Quote from: Spoon
A magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

AmandaGreathouse

• Inspiration on Tap:
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 02:34:04 PM »
I have always been a really big fan of the statues up north, outside. I think it would be really awesome if sometime between now and 'the end' some new statues were built, for whatever reason, and if those showed up in Arm 2. That, to me, would be awesome.
Quote from: Wug
No one on staff is just waiting for the opportunity to get revenge on someone who killed one of their characters years ago.

Except me. I remember every death. And I am coming for you bastards.

The7DeadlyVenomz

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Now statues, players can do some hard pushing for, IC.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Twilight

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2008, 06:09:27 PM »
I'd like to see someone use the apartment code slightly differently.

Ideally, it would be a large warehouse type building, set up for several different crafts, with stations for each.  You "rent" the ability to use the warehouse, and thus craft there.

Unfortunately, I think the apartment code still limits you to 1 apartment?  To get around this, same idea, with a central area open to all that can be used for crafts.  These would not be save or quit rooms.  As a renter, you rent a storage area in the warehouse.  To reinforce the idea that this is an area for materials, make it saveable, but not quitable.  This isn't your home, its your workplace.  Make the rent fairly high, to represent the fact that the people renting storage can give access to people they hire.

I'd be willing to build something like this.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2008, 01:19:36 PM »
Talk scripts for NPCs.
Especially in areas like Ptar Ken, tribal settlements, and other places where there may or may not be other players to talk to, heh.
Could be a good way of preserving history and the stories of important PCs during periods of inactivity for the clan. Could also be a good way to convey IC information that characters that always lived there should reasonably know.
The old-timer sitting in the tavern in Red Storm should be able to give you a crash-course in spice hunting.
The elderly elf by the campfire should be able to tell you some stories about tribal history and religion.
The tribal herbalist should be able to tell you where the sacred Grubbub herb grows.
The grizzled old lumberjack walking around the logging village should tell you not to feed the halflings.
And so on, and so on, in that fashion.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

FantasyWriter

• Tales of Then--Reflections of Now
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2008, 12:11:08 AM »

And trade is gooood.

very much agreed.

Amen. -What- is that about? Kurac doesn't want the additional income?? Nenyuk doesn't want to invest? What is this madness.  ???
Greb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Nyr

• Red Fangs
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2008, 08:19:32 AM »

And trade is gooood.

very much agreed.

There could be (and likely are) many reasons this has not been pursued.  I'd check in-character, or put on your handy-dandy imagination cap.

When I get done with the uncraftables project (or when I think it's done) I'll look at some of the submissions here to see if anything strikes my fancy.
Paint on a mustache and be a dude for a day. Stuff some melons down my shirt, cinch up a corset and pass as a girl.

With appropriate roleplay of course.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
Talk scripts for NPCs.
Especially in areas like Ptar Ken, tribal settlements, and other places where there may or may not be other players to talk to, heh.
Could be a good way of preserving history and the stories of important PCs during periods of inactivity for the clan. Could also be a good way to convey IC information that characters that always lived there should reasonably know.
The old-timer sitting in the tavern in Red Storm should be able to give you a crash-course in spice hunting.
The elderly elf by the campfire should be able to tell you some stories about tribal history and religion.
The tribal herbalist should be able to tell you where the sacred Grubbub herb grows.
The grizzled old lumberjack walking around the logging village should tell you not to feed the halflings.
And so on, and so on, in that fashion.

Yes.