Nasty Weather

Started by Anonymous, April 25, 2003, 01:03:19 PM

Okay, I realize that the environment the imms are going for is a harsh, dry, sandy overall just unpleasant one...but lately it seems the weather has been a bit extreme. There's 6+ rl hour stretches of nasty gales screaming in from this way and that...and actually for like the past week EVERY time I've been on, there's been a helluva wind from some direction. Anyone else think this may be a bit much? Not only does it cut down on playability if your char depends on hunting/etc, but also penalizes achery in a nasty way. I haven't been able to fire an arrow in over a rl week now because of this wind, which is quite annoying as an archer.

Trying not to reveal too much IC info, but it is very possible right now that in a certain part of the world, there's a good reason for all this bad weather lately that fits into a pattern of ongoing events.

Makes is scary to be out at night, doesn't it?
heh heh heh

Actually, as an outdoors kinda character, I find the weather difficult, annoying and scary.

And I love it.  The world is a harsh desert planet.  Even if I can't use my bow, I don't mind.  It seems right when I can't see the distant horizon because of the storms or can't see a <insert swear here> thing in the middle of the night at half my HP.  :-)

Love that Armageddon!
Just wish we would get a few room emotes about the bad weather so we don't go walking around with hoods down during screamingly bad weather.  Something like:
"A large agafari branch goes whipping by your head as the fierce wind screams by."  
*clue phone rings*
raise hood

:-)

Also, it would be cool if folks emoted dealing with the weather more.  Instead of standing in  a small knot of folks chatting it up during a blinding sandstorm, scream and yell and emote eating sand when you open your mouth.  :-)
ou want some raptor fries with that?

Heh, I just checked the time and guess what?
QuoteIn the Year of Whira's Anger, year 71 of the 20th Age.
It's the year of Whira's Anger, would you expect good weather?

:wink: AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Must be that time of the Age for Whira  :wink:

It's because of me... Once I teased Whira, till then a harsh sandstorm starts when I apply for an outdoor character. It'll pass soon, I believe. Never tease Whira himself/itself. It has a script that finds your IP and bans the outside for you with harsh sandstorms.
quote="Ghost"]Despite the fact he is uglier than all of us, and he has a gay look attached to all over himself, and his being chubby (I love this word) Cenghiz still gets most of the girls in town. I have no damn idea how he does that.[/quote]

Whira is definitely female. Always in a jealous rage. Ask any Whiran... or maybe anyone aside a Whiran..

QuoteHeh, I just checked the time and guess what?
Quote:
In the Year of Whira's Anger, year 71 of the 20th Age.

It's the year of Whira's Anger, would you expect good weather?

Uh, that wasn't really my gripe. No, I don't expect good weather in the year of Whira's anger....my gripe is that it's just a bit much. Still having 6+ hour stretches of a might gale from this way and that makes it damn near impossible to go out hunting...ever. And then the wind changes direction...but it's still just as strong....doesn't it EVER die down? An arm week or more STRAIGHT of a mighy gale from the north gets to be a bit old.

It's also very possible that there's an IC reason behind this. Just keep that in mind. Besides, I have seen good weather lately.

QuoteBesides, I have seen good weather lately.

You're playing Armageddon? Heh.
I logged in at 9 this morning.
>weather
A fierce storm whirls sand and dust, obscuring the sky.
A mighty gale wind screams out of the east.

now, 2 pm
>weather
A fierce storm whirls sand and dust, obscuring the sky.
A mighty gale wind screams out of the north.

I don't believe that the weather is the same everywhere...in fact, I'm damn sure it's not.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

The weather isn't the same everywhere, even up North. Pay attention to which way the wind shifts and blows. :)

QuoteI don't believe that the weather is the same everywhere...in fact, I'm damn sure it's not.

I know the weather isn't the same everywhere. I'm just bitching about the weather where I am being extreme. Heh.

And oh...
3:30pm
>weather
A harsh sandstorm fills the air with whirling sand and dust.

That's now nearly 6 rl hours of sandstorm....wee, so fun as a ranger.

I'm actually praying for a crash, just for a change in the weather.

I take it you can't go somewhere else in search of better weather?

Any where you are... Very rarely is EVERYWHERE ALWAYS in storms... You have to move around sometimes because some areas well have bad storms alot specially when they are near big deserts... Salt Flats and all that where there are big open areas for the air to move around.

A ranger, specially in the north is acctually one of the easiest ways to get around weather. I do know last I was up north hunting with a group, they acctually knew where to go if the wind was blowing out of this or that diection making a big storm to find non stormy areas. But they even didn't know everything and most were fairly old characters and probably pretty knowledgable players in whats going on.

Give it abit, move around, buy information and such... And sometimes... You do have to wait... I had a ranger back a few months ago when we had severe storms the whole RL week. Now THATs a pain in the ass.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I do know last I was up north hunting with a group, they acctually knew where to go if the wind was blowing out of this or that diection making a big storm to find non stormy areas. But they even didn't know everything and most were fairly old characters and probably pretty knowledgable players in whats going on.
While I'm no expert, I am somewhat aware of the effect the wind has on storms in differing areas, the problem being my current charcter is such a wuss I really can't wander outside a specific area alone without fear of death...it's this specific area I'm speaking of that is storming.
And sometimes... You do have to wait... I had a ranger back a few months ago when we had severe storms the whole RL week. Now THATs a pain in the ass.
Well, this area hasn't had a CONSTANT storm in the past week,  but there's been a mighty gale from this way or that for the past rl week at least. As opposed to not being able to fire an arrow in about a rl week, I think this week I managed about 4. Game everywhere, and I can't shoot any of it.

And...4:30pm
>weather
A harsh sandstorm fills the air with whirling sand and dust.

I'm not trying to whine..really..but seriously now, that's 8 hours of sandstorm in the same spot...you'd think it'd clear out eventually. It's not the middle of the desert or anything...

I think I and a couple others have said this already, but just keep in mind that there MAY be an IC reason behind this.

The weather is really bad sometimes. It will be really bad for awhile until you're about ready to go crazy and smack someone, and then it will be bad some more. Eventually, it gets better.

The above applies to anywhere south of Luir's. In the North, it's not as bad, usually, but there are still periods (seasons, even) of worse weather.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Not to worry, the mud will go down for Saturday downtime soon, and then on Saturday night you'll get a few glorious hours of new weather.   :P  With a crafter I had a while back I had to do enough foraging by wednessday to keep me busy for the rest of the week, because she wouldn't go forage in low visibility.  I haven't seen really long sandstorms like we've had the last week or two for a long time, so I'd be inclined to think it is something IC rather than just the wacky weather code acting up.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins