The ARM random character concept generator

Started by Gimfalisette, April 16, 2008, 11:47:45 PM

April 16, 2008, 11:47:45 PM Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 03:14:27 AM by Gimfalisette
OK, as I mentioned in another thread, brytta.leofa and I have collaborated to write and code a random character concept generator for ARM, and it has turned out pretty nifty. (It's really fun just to push the button and see what wacky combination comes up.) I want to provide this for folks to use, but I have no place to host it myself. Would an ARM player like to host it somewhere, at least for an interim period? The page consists of just HTML and Javascript.

Editing for clarity/update: The character generator is live and on the web now at http://gimfalisette.googlepages.com/home .
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Awesome! How about on this page? I have no idea who all has access to it, but it seems as good a pace as any.

I have no idea who runs that site. What I need is for a site owner to volunteer to host the page for the moment. I have no idea if a bit of javascript is allowable to plunk into a MySpace page or anything, but maybe I'd go make a page for that purpose if someone enlightens me that it's do-able. So, suggestions for a decent free spot for me to slap it up are welcome as well.

Maybe it could be hosted on zalanthas.org?
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

GooglePages! Mmm...

Here it is for y'all's perusal and fun: The ARM Random Character Concept Generator

It's pretty self-explanatory to use. The "Day Job" and "Life's Ambition" items are there to help spark imagination about non-coded stuff for characters to be doing and goals they might have. Suggestions for those categories are welcome.

My next char will be a female mul krathian who lives in luirs and works as a tavern wench and goal in life is to have 20 lovers. Maybe ghost will be one.

Ya baby.

Amish Overlord  8)
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

My favorite was the female half-elven pickpocket from the labyrinth, who spends her days farming, and whose life's ambition is to become a senior aide to a noble or a templar.

Good luck, sweetheart.
Goryteller

Quote from: RockScissors are fine.  Please nerf paper.

That's really cool. Good job, you guys.
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

A desert elf from Allanak...  :P

But hey, this is a pretty cool tool. Added to my bookmarks.  ;D

Aha. Awesome!
Quoteemote pees into your eyes deeply

Quote from: Delirium on November 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM
I don't always act superior... but when I do it's on the forums of a text-based game

Not desert elf friendly, but what is?
It is the idea of it giving ideas that gives me an idea.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Herm ... a male c-elf from Allanak who's a burglar by day, whore by night, and wants to invent something world changing ... ...

I can run with that.  :-\
Quote from: Marauder Moe
Oh my god he's still rocking the sandwich.

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on April 17, 2008, 09:20:25 AM

I believe "Byn trooper" is implicitly included in the "kill one of every animal" option.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Male half-elf stone elementalist gossipmonger from Red Storm who's life ambition is to have twenty lovers.

Somehow I don't think that's going to work out... but it might be fun to try.   ;D

Hmm...A male human elkran, 'rinther, who's day job is gambling and who's life ambition is to have 100,00 in the bank..

Funny how things just turn out right, sometimes
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.

Human 'rinthi Void elementalist, day job hunter.. life's ambition: have twenty lovers..
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

Heh, very cool for when you're out of ideas. But, I don't want to raise three children to adulthood...

Quote from: Maybe42or54 on April 17, 2008, 09:20:25 AM

If you have specific suggestions for day jobs or ambitions that would fit DEs better, suggest away.

How to use for DEs, I was thinking for example: You roll a DE with starting location "Tuluk." Obviously you can't start a DE -in- Tuluk, but you can start one near Tuluk and play ATV. Likewise there are DEs who make their homes closer to Luir's, and some (I believe) who make their homes closer to Allanak / Storm.

But yeah, overall, the idea is just to spark ideas. Not every single random combination will be truly playable, though YMMV for the very adventurous or challenge-o-holic ;)

Glad y'all are enjoying it :)

ooh i got a cool one:

Female Dwarf Rinthi Rukkian who's day job is a physician but her focus is to learn to read and write.

Half-giant psionicist? Codedly impossible, I say.

Quote from: Agent_137 on April 17, 2008, 01:08:49 PM
FANTASTIC.

Immortals: this simply MUST go on http://www.armageddon.org/original/showType.php?type=Links

The original authors can post it as an original submission and it will.
Morgenes

Producer
Armageddon Staff

It's likely that the URL for the link will be changing since brytta and I have another little treat or two we're working on. But I will submit it after the location is settled.

It clearly wants me to play mages only. From ten tries none ended as mundane role.

It's a great little tool, just take one or two lines from each gen and substitute other stuff to your fancy. I'd like to see how long staffers stay logged in when the current sway of pc's are looking to attain 20 lovers though.

Staff: "...Stupid generator, they're alll mudsexxing again. I'm going to go watch a movie."
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.