Author Topic: I went on a date..  (Read 335860 times)

Re: I went on a date..
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2008, 10:56:36 PM »
In my experience, people stop using terms like "date" or "going out" or "do you like me?" around the age of 15 or so. Which is too bad, really, because those were awfully convenient terms, and they helped to avoid situations like this.

Most grown-up type people, though, use euphamisms like "go get a cup of coffee" or "go get a drink." This guy clearly mistook "drinks" as a euphamism for "date." Which, really is not all that unreasonable.

Of course, drinks does not equal a date, and a date does not equal sex, but it's an entirely unreasonable conclusion to make. Especially with a little wishful thinking thrown in for good measure.

I fail to see where the outrage is coming from. There really are worse things than somebody being sexually attracted to you, you know. Like, for example, nobody being sexually attracted to you.

I'd rather have to rebuff the occassional unwanted advance, or laugh off the occassional misunderstanding, than deal with the latter. Count your blessings.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

jstorrie

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm with 5DM here. 'Let's go for drinks' is an acceptable and common way of saying 'let's go out.' So someone likes you, boo-hoo.

psionic fungus

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2008, 11:16:34 PM »
I have to say that I have hooked up with the majority of my GF's through them asking me to come over or go out for drinks.

It's apparently a very common way for a girl to let a guy know she's interested.

Oops.  ::)
Quote from: Wish
Don't think you're having all the fun...
You know me, I hate everyone!

Wish there was something real!
Wish there was something true!
Wish there was something real,
in this world full of YOU!

brytta.leofa

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »
Most grown-up type people, though, use euphamisms like "go get a cup of coffee" or "go get a drink." This guy clearly mistook "drinks" as a euphamism for "date." Which, really is not all that unreasonable.

Maybe the euphemisms are used because of their ambiguity.  If the person turns out to Not Like You That Way, you can always pretend that it was just a friendly gesture.
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Malken

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2008, 11:36:08 PM »
Your topic says that you went on a date, though.. Were you being sarcastic or deep inside were you hoping that it was, indeed, a date, but after meeting the guy, you just didn't want anything to do with him?  ;)
“When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse’s feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.”

wildhalfling

« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 12:18:43 AM »
I asked some girl that was in my college class if she wanted to come over and study with me.

Now 6 years later I'm married to her and had ALOT of sex.

It works!

Belgoikiss

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 01:26:59 AM »
I'm seeing all the points here, and no I'm -not- mad that someone is attracted to me, it just grossed me the fuck out that he happened to be actually a little older than my dad. As to my being too vague, I'll blame it on becoming socially retarded in my 4 1/2 year marriage. Things have changed since I was 20, from people I find interesting all the way to the way I flirt. I'm just not cut out for this stuff.
You know you've raised a nerd when your five year old answers the question "Do you know what gymnastics are?" with "Dungeons and Dragons?"

It's never too late to live happily ever after.

BlackMagic0

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2008, 01:34:45 AM »
I'm just not cut out for this stuff.

Bull shit!
I have no doubt you are simply being silly-lazy.
Now get to work! On maxing those social-skills!  8)

Teasing you of course Belgoikiss, I say be straightforward and honest.. Works wonders, Simply say "Just as friends". Who knows.. It may work!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 01:39:05 AM by BlackMagic0 »
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

veryalien

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2008, 02:32:59 AM »
I date women half my age, and I bang'em too :D

Not since starting to play arm. They think I'm working on my laptop :D

EDIT: Actually not half my age, more like 2/3rds my age.

Krath

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2008, 02:35:54 AM »
You said....
Dating is not a sex vending machine.

Then you said...
Well, if I'm going on a date, I damn sure expect sex

Gimf, are you a sex vending machine?!?!?! :o
But it's cool, I can rap my skills, too
Cuz I rise above the rest like
'mon un whira [IC info removed]'

mansa

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2008, 02:56:13 AM »
I started drinking before-hand at a friend's house.  He came back from IRAQ so we were celebrating his non-death.

I know Katherine was wanting to meet up with me at 'The Live Lounge', which is an Modern-Rock/Alternative Bar downtown.

I left the party I was at, at approximately 11 p.m. and made my way towards Downtown.

I went to 'The Mercury Lounge' at 11:30 and got a free shot from my favourite bartender, and then left.

I arrive at 'The Live Lounge' and spotted my friend Katherine.  I got a beer and then moved over to her, so she would spot me and say hey.

She spots me and says Hey.

We dance until 1:30 to alternative rock songs.

She was at the club with her, 'Engineers without Borders' friends, who went to the club as an after-party for some event they hosted tonight.

At 1:30 two friends of hers - who happen to live by her apartment - decided to leave and walk home.  I decided to come with.

One friend left, and then there was three.

It was her turn to take the side street to go home, and I was really drunk, so I just gave her a hung and said "hey next time yeah!"

Her other friend and I walked home a few blocks - talking about fair trade and ad-busters shoes, and then said goodbye and then I continued walking.

I sent her a txt message saying, 'oh man we shoudl watch a movie even though it's 2:30" with the spelling mistake too.

She replied, 'Why didn't you say so before hand?  I'm almost in my pjs."

I replied with, 'It would have been very awkward with David walking along.  I'm very awkward like that"

She replied, 'Well, next time we need to have a signal for that sort of thing.'

we're still 'chatting' over txt message currently.  I'll let you know if I convince her to come over.
New Players Guide: http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,33512.0.html

You win Armageddon, congratulations!  Type 'credits', then store your character and make a new one

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2008, 03:07:37 AM »
Well done, sir.
EvilRoeSlade wrote:
You find a bulbous root sac and pick it up.
You shout, in sirihish:
"I HAVE A BULBOUS SAC"
A staff member sends:
     "You are likely dead."

veryalien

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2008, 03:10:16 AM »
lets hope she doesn't read this board. never kiss and tell man.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2008, 04:04:00 AM »
Don't do it. My professional advice is to leave her wanting something for a second date. You try too hard now and you might just spoil the whole thing. The more time you talk after the first date just gives you more chances to fuck things up. Keep things cool, 'cause you're cool. Leave her a couple tid-bits that will make her curious about you then call her in a day or so. She'll remember that she had unanswered questions about you and accept a second date.

The above is a tried and tested formula. Hasn't failed me yet.

Edit: I just realized I'm way too late. :( Maybe someone else will use this advice.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 04:07:49 AM by RogueGunslinger »

Gimfalisette

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2008, 05:59:56 AM »
You said....
Dating is not a sex vending machine.

Then you said...
Well, if I'm going on a date, I damn sure expect sex

Gimf, are you a sex vending machine?!?!?! :o

No, but my husband is.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Gimfalisette

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2008, 06:03:39 AM »
That seems like a lot of drinking to be doing on a date, mansa. I mean...isn't dating about getting to know the person? But if you're so drunk, I don't see that really happening very effectively. YMMV, though.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

mattrious

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2008, 08:04:09 AM »
with Chuck Norris' first cousin.

See, I am now realizing that most men are scum they think you want their dick if you say 'Hey, let's hang out and grab a drink some time.'

I didn't ask for a fucking date.

I said let's hang out some time.

He thought it was a date. ~_~

I didn't say, "Hey, guy my dad's age, would you please rock the cradle of love?"
For fucks sake, dudes, if you're 48 and a 25 year old chick wants to hang out, unless you're a multi-millionaire and famous, not a lame fuck working a minimum wage job, she doesn't wanna bang you.

On the up side, I got to express my hate for Chuck Norris to someone that could actually tell him for me. That's still not getting him sex.

Please lead on more men twice your age. It does great things for your demographic. I mean, seriously? C’mon. You asked him to hang out and grab a drink? He is older than your dad? I mean why in the world would he possibly think you just wanted to hang out and be friends? What do you have in common with him? What are you going to talk about with him? Why Steve Perry truly left Journey?

In the future if you just want to be friends with someone of the opposite sex, and not lead them on. Try asking them if they want to go grab a cup of coffee or something. Establish the fact that the relationship is strictly plutonic and you’ve no interest in anything past that level of intimacy.

Thanks for the man bashing posts though. It seems to me that the way your love life is going, you should move to Eastern Europe and quit shaving your legs and arm pits. Maybe start an all female band? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

- Matt.

RogueGunslinger

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2008, 08:20:08 AM »
Upon re-reading the OP. I'm completely inclined to agree with Mattrious.

brytta.leofa

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2008, 10:46:07 AM »
The sword is sharp, the spear is long,
The arrow swift, the Gate is strong.
The heart is bold that looks on gold;
The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.

Sokotra

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2008, 11:57:11 AM »
It seems to me that the way your love life is going, you should move to Eastern Europe and quit shaving your legs and arm pits. Maybe start an all female band? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

lolz

« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 11:59:01 AM by Sokotra »

Ghost

« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2008, 12:06:14 PM »
Color me ignorant, but why Eastern Europe?  What is specific about it?
some of my posts are serious stuff

BlackMagic0

« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »
It seems to me that the way your love life is going, you should move to Eastern Europe and quit shaving your legs and arm pits. Maybe start an all female band? Who knows, the possibilities are endless.

lolz

xxx
It just me or that one.. Second from the right, Third from the left.

Look like michael (sp?) Jackson?

One above the xxx ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008, 12:08:39 PM by BlackMagic0 »

cyberpatrol_735

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2008, 01:29:49 PM »
It does, could we stop bashing her now? That'd be nice, nobody is perfect, not even you. kthxbye.
For FantasyWriter:
Never again will I be a fool, I will from now on, wrap my tool.

BlackMagic0

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
It does, could we stop bashing her now? That'd be nice, nobody is perfect, not even you. kthxbye.

Yah! What he said..
Stop bashing.. Or we going poison your asshole stews. bitches.  :o

Reiloth

• Corpse Pose: B&W Film Photography
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2008, 02:19:09 PM »
If you go out to dinner with me, I expect sex.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~