New player trying to get involved.

Started by Kyoujin, March 07, 2008, 01:07:47 AM

I just started, and after losing a few characters I'm addicted. I've nearly quit many times out of sheer frustration, but I keep coming back for more  :D . I'm waiting on the approval of a new character right now, and this time I want to do it right. I'm starting out in the North this time, and was wondering if there was anything interesting going on that I could get involved with.

Well.. There is not just 'one way to do it right'...

You could be a hunter, a forester, a member of some clan, or member of some merchant house...
So many different things to do!!!

Cool shit happens all over the known world, Just gotta get into some plots or a clan.. Interact.. Enjoy! And do not get mauled by gortoks.

Let me be one the first to say..
Welcome to Armageddon.
Our Anti-Drug, because we are all addicted to this.  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

There is plenty interesting going on.

Thanks I'll try to put more effort in getting into things IC.

If you haven't already, I'd say get in contact with some of the helpers.  They know what the lines of IC and OOC are, what they can do to help you, and what they can't.  Mostly, they're a group of people set to be the guiding hand that pushes you in the right direction, not the path that takes you there.

Someone more industrious than I should link the post on how to get involved in plots.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

This is Gimf's take and some excellent discussion:

http://www.zalanthas.org/gdb/index.php/topic,26852.0.html

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

Rock the North!

I'd encourage you to check the boards IC and make contact with any one of the leader PCs (or their underlings) in Tuluk.  As far as I can tell, there's a great group right now. 

You seem pretty savvy, but just in case, here's some useful links for playing in the north:

Tuluki Roleplay:
http://www.armageddon.org/general/tuluki_rp.html

Info about nobility and suchlike:
http://www.armageddon.org/ic/northlands/nobility/

Good luck, and welcome to Armageddon!
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Patience. There's a great thread about how to get involved in plots you might want to read.
My personal experience is that my first day with a new pc rocks. I get to dress them like a really scruffy barbie doll. And settle into their skin. By day two, I hate them and whatever city I'm playing in. All the people my pc knows are virtual. I don't have anywhere I need to be or anything I have to do. I spend too much time in taverns waiting to meet that person that my pc needs to get involved. I join a clain, and I'm the newbie. Day two on a new pc sucks. But it's really a matter of fleshing out your pc, meeting people and forming opinions.

I think that the playerbase does a really nice job of balancing ic wariness of strangers with being inclusive. They won't hand you the treasure map of steinal on day one, but they will try and learn your name and open a niche to get your foot in the door.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Staying alive is the best way to get involved in interesting stuff. Keep in mind that other PCs will not tell your PC about any secrets until you have proven yourself trustworthy IC for some time, maybe a long time. Even if you join a clan, you'll probably spend the first ingame year or two running lowly errands that don't seem very important. But as soon as other characters decide that you are trustworthy, you'll start to see the really crazy stuff!

Emote a lot it helps flesh out your character and your ic / ooc self. Really just dig into it and read the help files tonz.
Quote from: FiveDisgruntledMonkeys
Don't enter the Labyrinth.
They don't call it the Screaming Mantis Tavern to be cute. It's called foreshadowing. First there's screaming, then mantis head.

AFAIK, noble house Lyksae, merchant houses Salarr, Kadius and Kurac, and the Sun Legions are all actively looking for players in the Northlands. If you really want to get drawn into the Arm experience, join a clan like one of these.

There are also other options that are less "officially" clanned as well. Check the rumor boards and get to know folks.

Quote from: jstorrie on March 07, 2008, 07:28:00 PM
AFAIK, noble house Lyksae, merchant houses Salarr, Kadius and Kurac, and the Sun Legions are all actively looking for players in the Northlands. If you really want to get drawn into the Arm experience, join a clan like one of these.

Quoted for the truth! Join the one in bold!!
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I'm actually taking a little more time to look through the docs before I jump in this time. Thanks for the advice everyone can't wait to get in this time.