Getting it, and kudos

Started by Samoa, April 21, 2003, 12:42:35 PM

I am surprised nobody has mentioned Boopsie.  Back in the day there were many characters that helped me get on the path to 'getting it'. I don't think I fully get it yet but I think I am getting closer.

There are few characters which stand out in my mind as being incredibly influential to my current enlightenment about the finer points of the game, as well as the larger picture.  However, there are a small handful that I can think of that probably showed me the way the best.

Davaz- Major props to you for getting my mindset out of the carefree adventuring sense and into the more gritty reality of a soldier's life, and life in the game as a whole.

Gores- I don't think I've met a shadier character in all of the time I tried to play as a sneaky guy (to little success).  Oh, and the guy who replaced Gores, he was great too.

Hacket- Cool.  A little batty, but cool, and examples from this character really helped my style  quite a while down the road.

Of course, the blend of all characters I have come across in the past two or three years I have been playing have most helped to develop my sense of the game.

Lord Naal! That's it! That was my newbie self's eyeopener as to what a noble should be. Hot damn that guy was a snot. Made a person -want- to serve well and please the superior being that your Lord or Lady should seem.

Quote from: "Kankman"Lord Naal! That's it! That was my newbie self's eyeopener as to what a noble should be. Hot damn that guy was a snot. Made a person -want- to serve well and please the superior being that your Lord or Lady should seem.

Or, you know, stab him in his sleep.   :P  Naal was fun.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

AC wrote:
Or, you know, stab him in his sleep.

Uh...we weren't sleeping. You wanna talk about being caught with your pants down.  :oops:
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Jhiran, and his lean, youthful attempts to revive Kohmar.
Enaias, who ended up becoming one of the most irascible sub-elementals in the game.
Gerrol, who became the other.
Shauvia, who remains the character truest to her IC convictions.
Phaedrin, who I spent a number of RL weeks holed up in a basement somewhere with the rest of the proto-Conclave.
Lorial, who was a thug and a criminal and always elegant while doing so
Khann, who I worked for in several incarnations, and who wouldn't hire Alkyone
Nerien, from early days in Allanak.
Rhydun Kurac, who was the craziest of all of them.
Aldane, who was very patient with scatterbrained Whirans.
Serbitar, who was damn sexy.
Sigmund, who was always entertaining.

Cheers to all of you.

Aww... brings back memories.. Yeah, Kudos to Khann from me, and I remember Serbitar and Sigmund too. :D Lots of characters I've met recently even have helped me out a lot, but since they're alive, I'll keep my lips sealed.

Gawynn
Ladies and gents, we're still alive
By the skin of our teeth, now it's killing time
Angel in our pocket, devil by our side
We ain't going nowhere, cuz' heroes never die!"

Blood of Heroes - Megadeth

I've played Armageddon for years, but it took two certain key characters to enlighten me as to what Armageddon MUD could potentially be.

Tobanis Tor is one of the most incredible characters I have ever had the pleasure to RP with in my history of on-line roleplay. He showed me a world that I never truly recognized was there, and when I found it, became addicted to Armageddon. Visions of honor twisted by the harsh reality of Zalanthas, and a peception of self-grandeur derived from the Tor bloodline, he represented everything that he knew to be pure and good, noble and respectable, the knobby plates of his armored boots stepping disdainfully over all those beneath him. It was the character's conviction in his beliefs, evidenced strongly through his actions, his voice, and his demeanor.. that brought not only the character to life, but the world around him which helped shape his world view.

Lius the grizzled old mercenary.. he was everything that was subtle in Armageddon fiction, and that subtlety made him more real than any character I can remember.  An incredibly simple character at first glance, he helped me to understand that sum of many small things was far more thought-provoking than any one single feature. Appearing as nothing more than an aged, scarred veteran of battle, every story he told about his experience as a soldier captured the gritty flavor of Zalanthian realism, without the theatrics and overdone heroism found in most typical fantasy settings. Stories of how one of his old commanders of legendary tactical skill died to a single arrow in the eye, or how his survival in several campaigns was only due to sheer luck, or another man's sacrifice.. those are the stories that bring the wonderful gameworld of text to life.

Of course, the reality is that Armageddon MUD isn't all about ideal RP environments and believable characters. These two characters simply represent what Armageddon can be when played by players of exceptional RP merit and experience.

A kudos to certain players and characters, who have shown me all sorts of things about what Arm represents:

To the player of a current PC whose name I won't mention - for not only playing such an unusual role, but for also doing it flawlessly, dragging me neck deep into the emotions of things, and all the while having a hoot behind the scenes and assuring me that they are FINE with whatever happens.

That break between fantasy and reality can be such a tough thing to handle, so major kudos for reminding me of that.

To the player of another current PC who makes me laugh out loud on my side of the computer on a regular basis. Again, another awesome roleplayer who sucks me into the world.

To the player of that undead elf from several months back who scared the bejeezus out of my PC and showed me a hint of the "darker" side of Arm with that plotline.

To the one who assassinated my first PC... even though I saw it coming, I was too deep into the moment to remember that. And that's what it's all about, really.

Same with the ones involved with my second PC's death.. lousy timing, but awesome moment in my RP experiences. It was one of those "Damn I wish I remembered to log this!" things.

Mostly though, to Sanvean for having the patience of a saint. Swear to everything that's holy, the woman is just ridiculously awesome!

Quote from: "SykotikGith"...Gholazzi Fale (Drinking you under the table was awesome!)...

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Khann - One of the first pc's I ever met, helped me alot in the beginning.
Gerrol - Realized alot about the virtual population of the world because of him.
Trevelli - Always made me fear the 'evil' people of the game.
Sigmund - Always fun, my enjoyment of playing a half-giant is because of watching him.
Guija - For dying and giving my first elementalist purpose and a reason for extremely long life.

This is interesting.  Question, if characters you played six years ago (or more) come up and hardly any of your current chars do, does this mean you've gone backwards?

A few comments...working backwards over time.

Mansa, quit kissing up!  I don't teach you anymore.
Actually, Mansa, Overone and the others when we played the gith...that was awesome.
Mansa and Overone again...when we played the slaves escaping...awesome, and thanks to Zagren for that.  That entire episode will always be remembered.

Garrick...Buzz, always enjoyed that cold hatred our characters had for each other.  Of course, that means I have to mention Trevelli.

Not sure when I first got it, was probably when I played my first templar.  That was when I realized exactly what you can do if you immerse yourself in the game...so, hats off to Ashina.

Back further, all the way to my first true character...game was quite different back then but I haven't left for almost ten years now...the most impact made on me then was Thrain Ironsword, and I'll always remember Zaerach (nice to see the new road in Tuluk named after him).

There have been many other memorable players who together have made me get what Arm really means.

Thank you to all of you.
Olaf

A product of the Byn, and Proud.

My first character, when I was a complete newb, Grausam helped me so much. Not because he was especially helpful, but because when he spoke, I got shit done!

More recently, Brok and Brekkin.

But I'd have to say, I've been here, almost(I think) 2 1/2 years, and I've yet to see a poorly played Templar. Props to you all.
We were somewhere near the Shield Wall, on the edge of the Red Desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Gods,  -when- did ArmageddonMud really click for me?  Hmmmn.

Well, before before...
Dyrinis wrote:
Doom
AAAACK!!!!!  Don't GO there man!!!  Say it ain't so!!
That fucker and a few of his pals were the bane of my existence as a player back in the day!!!

Who for me:
Vis and Wulf, but mostly Vis who sparked the glimmer of my romance with the mul race (no, not THAT kinda romance...although once you've had some mul lovin' you'll never go back!)
Tree?  I think that was her name.
Thanas in many incarnations
Alkyone
Ra
Enias
Gerrol
Shauvia  (just the best played half-giant I've ever met)
Thanos  (Especially that one time when my badass raider insulted him, not even realizing who he was and that Thanos would probably have killed him quickly if it had come down to swingin' blades)
Mack
Trevelli al Asenn
Kaldoryk al Asenn
Sis (in several Tan Muark incarnations.  Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again, love.  Rest well between the worlds!)
Fenrick al Azia
Arazza al Azia (My mentor into the iso-clan roleplay experience)
Thomas Oash
Tektolnes  (just about the single coolest 'short' roleplay experience of my time on ArmageddonMud.  Thank you, whoever you are!!!)
Blackwing (back in the day.  Just a well-played group of pc elves, imho...Thanks Halaster!  :twisted:
Khann
Templar Garrick
Templar Boopsie
Radoon the archaeologist!
Precentor Kul
Precentor Isar
Sargax  (Just a fuckin' excellent PC)
A VERY naughty and nasty looking elf defiler (thanks Zagren!!)
The Sage (brief span of roleplay, but cool)
Two other AWESOME defilers  (Thanks Z and H!!)
C and D Kadius for an outstanding roleplay experience of intrigue
And a bunch of pcs I can't name 'cause most are still around
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

For me... a combination of way oldies and a few still breathings...

For the way oldies, I'd really love to thank Khann.  I'm truely glad I didn't hit you with that dart when you were on your last legs, even though I broke character to do it.  Further, I'm glad you didn't jump me when I stepped out, because even with no limbs and a blind fold, I think you'd have wholloped me.

To whatever templar (a name I will never remember) who I was guarding with my HG Rimstalker... again way back in the day.  You helped me understand that a death should never be taken seriously... and those steel bracers you had would have helped a lot, if I'd ever gotten them tailored.

And to Talon, the magicker and bard who my HG died with.  Thanks for being part of my best PC death, and for helping me get my first REAL taste of how brutal Zalanthas can actually be.

As for those still around (or not)...
Sujaal, for teaching me the basics, and for helping me not be a wus.

Brekkin... man.  I can't thank you enough.  I don't think I've EVER seen a dwarf RP'd as well as you.

Kento, for just being totally nuts.  "He did... WHAT?  Not possible."

The infamous and awesome Miss P.  For helping me to understand how the bloody fek emotes work... and more importantly, for helping me to realize there's a line between "Awesome" and "Way Too Much"

Mad props to the randiest cripple in Allanak.  Thanks much.  You know what for.

Daenin, for helping me remember that there is such a thing in Zalanthas as 'friendly rivalry'

Someone posted a while back that they'd never seen a badly RP'd templar, and I definitely back that... but Sadiv in particular.  Every time you walked in to the room, it was like dancing on razors.  Thanks.

The original BloodFeathers... and that blood raven guy.  Without you, desert elves would have just been high movement point stat hounds.

And last, but not least in any way... Robigus.  Bet you never thought you'd see that name up here.  You helped me take my first bite of the soft and chewy heart that is the Armageddon Social Life.  Thanks for killing the fear I had of bars that Sadiv had tried so hard to instill.  *grin*

I could probably go on for hours.  I'll stop rambling.  Monster Kudos to all the immos who made this possible, and all the N/PCs that make it deadly.

Thanks to everyone, to be honest... even those of you who have yet to have Armag 'click' for you.  You help the rest of us to keep it real and to remember that we all have humble origins.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

Miedyan Oash
Kojiro No Fale
Karleon Kadius
Kroz
Berlian Lutalo
Eldor Torc
Cheivalt
Markua Kadius
Zaea Kadius
Khortoc Salarr
Mawr of the Morgwars
Milan
Murk the Mul
Sargax
Danu
Quick and Hurn  :o

Sanvean, Bhagarva, Krrx, Savak, Dyrinis, Talia, Shalooonsh, Eniriah, Myrdryn
The figure in a dark hooded cloak says in rinthi-accented Sirihish, 'Winrothol Tor Fale?'

January 08, 2017, 09:28:24 AM #66 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:40:38 PM by Delirium
There really hasn't been any one character who just solely made me "get it". I'm still not entirely sure I "get it". :)

There have been a few though who really made me aspire to want to try to get it and "get in the skin" of a character that I'd developed.

<edited, sorry, too recent> were like the earliest standouts when I first started playing that I saw and thought, "Wow. You can really develop a character here."

edited by Delirium: these PCs existed within the last RL year. Send a kudos instead!

January 08, 2017, 06:13:04 PM #67 Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 06:58:15 PM by Harmless
Joy, I have a few names in my early days that helped me to understand the setting.

Ayla, of Poet's circle. First to impress me with the Lore of tuluk especially. Sorry I couldn't stick around for the full ride.

Asil, of Kurac. First merchant "uncle" buddy and present across many of my early PCs. Fun to work with as a Kuraci fist member in particular. Shoutout to Arj also! We got matching inks! And Sweet Roll! You showed me the crime scene in Nak for the first time!

Kilaski, of Salarr. Stylishly-RPed leader who put my first merchant through difficult romantic subplot. First one to make me "freak out" as the relationship darkened.. I bailed via storing, I'm sorry, I learned eventually not to bail and tough it out through the bad parts as you had advised me to try to do. You were right.

Hew, the half-giant hunter of Tuluk. This was my first ever 'friend' in armageddon to literally my second PC. Friend to a breed, no less. It's not hard to befriend a half-giant really, but for a total noob all befriending was quite hard then.

Brynn, the breed merchant of Tuluk. Mentorship across many characters. As one of my characters, I worked with one of her long-running mates, Pikks. As a later character, I saw him taken away by Templars of Tuluk to be disappeared. All the built up interactions allowed me to pretty much know her whole life story. Seeing how she responded to trauma after trauma helped me prepare to play a (hilariously similarly named) gemmer in Allanak, which was the first PC I was ever proud of for playing.

Thanks to the above folks I definitely learned the ropes a lot faster than I could have without you. Thank you all for either the hours or the days we spent with each other across time.. oddly, none of the above were ever that close to my characters, but their examples taught a lot even if we had more acquaintance-level relationships. I think that's a key point about how important consistent, exemplary RP is to the game -- not necessarily flashy or world-changing, just consistent and with that bit of extra effort to make the gameworld really come to life.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I miss Ayla so much. Probably my biggest storage regret. I loved ya!
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Zalranris Tenneshi

Hawk the half-elf who used to hang out w/Dream the dwarf

Ehrick the Lyksaean warrior (warrior-slave, I think).

Leisera, the Chosen Consort of Hlum, and the best gypo evar.

Validos Fale, probably my favorite templar that's old enough to talk about. There was a fraught relationship there, as I had a rogue whiran who was mated to a run-off rukkian gemmed (Bryl) under servitude to the Red Fangs. He actually arrested her thinking she was a gypsy when she came into the city due to how she was dressed. He left the cell to go gem a 'gicker, and since he didn't put her in a safe cell for it, she teleported out and contacted him to tell him that basically sorry but she had to bail, she couldn't wind up like her mate did. They wound up having an interesting relationship where from time to time he'd come just out of the gates and they'd hang out inside a carriage and smoke out.

Hanzi/Aarif the gyspy. The why is still probably too sekrit. No coincidence, the above whiran had a multiple year affair with him complete with a kid which he got to keep. Until something took it from him. :D

Lyvrenxice, the other templar old enough to mention. Not realizing she'd killed Validos, and fresh off the experience with a templar who'd be 'flexible' outside the city, I let her trick a sorcerer I had who was about 2 hours old into meeting her in a cave real close to Allanak, thinking to make some sort of accord like, I won't come near allanak if you don't hunt me. My pc escaped with 2 hit points. That was a super tense night. Tried to make an aide for her later, and wound up shanked by an Oash noble. >.>

Anthinius Oash and I think it was TheWanderer who played the other Oash noble, the first gemmed I had. Wound up working for them. Got whipped on the balcony of Red's Retreat for the plaza to witness and forbidden from talking to anyone who wasn't gemmed basically. That was a weird experience and spurred a lot of interesting plots. Probably my 2 favorite Oash nobles ever.

There's 2 really kickass Borsails that I want to mention but both have been within the past year and one of them is still alive.

Omar the Salarri Sergeant. Apparently there was some sort of downspiral toward the end, but the single most fun I've ever had as a Salarri was working as a hunter under him.

Heejo. Nuff said.

There's more but I am rambly enough at this point.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

13 year old necrothread. WOW. Fun fact: I'm pretty sure the topic title doesn't refer to the kudos request system, because it didn't exist. So don't get confused. I don't remember who helped me "get it". Group effort. There was a kurac bastard played by Clegane that opened up my mind to the idea of really immersing one's self in a scene and making it -badass-.

Quote from: Harmless on January 08, 2017, 06:13:04 PM
Asil, of Kurac. First merchant "uncle" buddy and present across many of my early PCs. Fun to work with as a Kuraci fist member in particular. Shoutout to Arj also! We got matching inks! And Sweet Roll! You showed me the crime scene in Nak for the first time!

Kilaski, of Salarr. Stylishly-RPed leader who put my first merchant through difficult romantic subplot. First one to make me "freak out" as the relationship darkened.. I bailed via storing, I'm sorry, I learned eventually not to bail and tough it out through the bad parts as you had advised me to try to do. You were right.
Quote from: bardlyone on January 08, 2017, 07:39:56 PM
Leisera, the Chosen Consort of Hlum, and the best gypo evar.

Omar the Salarri Sergeant. Apparently there was some sort of downspiral toward the end, but the single most fun I've ever had as a Salarri was working as a hunter under him.

Yes! Especially Omar and Kalaski. Though, uh, as far as Muraki go I'm gonna have to go with Bozi and Lexi on my all time favorite, with Bozi being the best.

Also, want to rez a 2003 thread!
The man asks you:
     "'Bout damn time, lol.  She didn't bang you up too bad, did she?"
The man says, ooc:
     "OG did i jsut do that?"

Quote from: Shalooonsh
I love the players of this game.
That's not a random thought either.

I think High Templar Serilla really helped one of my older characters really get the basics of the game, and just how Templars should really be.

There was also a Northern Mul in the Legions, who I thought I REALLY knew, and then the RP started coming out and I started to respect and understand the 'property' piece all over again. Sometimes you get one that is just perfect, and really accentuates things, but I don't remember who it was.

I still don't think I -really- get the game, and so many others definitely do. I don't know if it just 'clicks' at some point, or if I'm really a doof.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I really like this thread.  Even though none of my characters are mentioned it really shows appreciation to the idea that characters can make a huge difference to not only the game world but to other players. 

If I could be the spark to a player or two and never do anything that gets put into the history of the game,  I'd consider that a win, but more often than not these things coincide with one another. This is an awesome thread!

Mine are Gin and Quick, Samos, and when I first started my Byn crew was pretty stellar. Really got my creative engine going back then.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

Quote from: titansfan on January 09, 2017, 01:13:39 PM
Mine are Gin and Quick, Samos, and when I first started my Byn crew was pretty stellar. Really got my creative engine going back then.

Oh, man. Beard and Wakazi. FourTwenty and Zoltan. I've told them numerous times how much they really gave me a proper bearing. And Trooper fatty! I just imagined this huge fat fucker swinging a big ass sword and always scratching his balls.

Every Bynners dream.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.