Getting it, and kudos

Started by Samoa, April 21, 2003, 12:42:35 PM

For me, I don't know anyone really helped me "get it" I just slowly picked up alot of stuff from everywhere while acctually spending a good 10+ hours reading over docs(Four before starting my first character).

But for the most part, the people that have helped really get me into the game more have mostly been people in the Byn over the last... 8 months probably. Specially the one dude who got ripped apart in the arena can't remember his name but he got me going on good on emotes that include the inviroment, vNPCs and the such, although still don't feel completely comfortable using them yet. Can't even remember his characters name but was a great RPer.

The templars and nobility have been helpful. Kudos to the Imms that pick and help shape the characters and point the players directions, and of course to the players themselves.

Oh, most of all though, it was just me.  :twisted:

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Ana the Khomari
Khan the Salarri
Dran the Ranger
Goldy the rynthrat
Lawrence Oash
Garrick of the Red Robes
Ashina
Shauvia
Gerrol
Alkyone

(A long long time ago)
---------------------------------
The Artist Formerly Known as Breg

Individuals:
Khalad - Cool dwarf, friendly to all the abuse, first genuine friendly/friend PC to my own.
Stevith, Sargeant of the Byn.  Stubborn racist bastard, which makes him memorable and appreciated.  Also was a pretty hardnosed Sarge, adding to that.
Kyros - For being one of the few Elves that didn't try to loot anyone of their body armor, helmet, collar, bracers, bow, sword, boots, pants, underwear, earwax, nose hair, or vitality when they're sleeping in a popular room.
Brudig - tough, tough Human in the ring, don't remember too much else other than that.
Rayne - Good Sarge, friendly, well played, saw some interesting possibilities for the game and relationships with him.
Lieutennant Slifka of Tor - great interactions with him, great desc that showed me what a desc could be - really strong image of him from that desc.

~ pours out a little mead for the dearly departed.

And groups I pay hommage to:
Someone - for all the returned mounts, the waived crim flags, the returned packs, the general fuss, tolerating the I'm-not-thinking-right-now requests, etc.
The Gith - the right hand of Charles Darwin
Tarantulas, raptors, Tembo - I'll always keep a soft spot in my heart for you ... to tear open.
Misc. Elves - for forcing me to distrust every one of you lot.
Misc. Nobles - for my first break, for their trust in certain characters, and for the oodles of sid.
Misc. f%#kin thieves - for all the lost gear stolen in broad daylight, I now never take any chances.
Misc. foul magickers - for the absolute meyhem they cause.
Misc. Bynners who attacked in the compound - for a steady source of sid and gear, I have to give thanks.
Misc. dead bodies - for making Nak one of the most profitable places to hang out, thanks for the constant stream of solo PCs deciding that there's no training that could be found in Nak, like there is around Nak.

Well, none of you bastards helped me "get it". Thanks a whole not! :lol:

But all joking aside while we're rambling about great people to play with I'd have to say Lord V and Miss P were probably the most fun. You two buggars know who you are..

I don't remember the following character's name, but when I was fairly new he was the first non-twink 'rinther I found. He played a damn mean elf. You know the one in 'Nak with the swollen tongue so he spoke all funny.. Can't remember his name, but I know who played him. Won't mention it here, but I hope you know who you are.

The two best nobles I had experience playing with would both be Borsail actually.. One was the aging hawk-nosed man, who's name I can't remember. Once again, I remember the person who played him but not the PC.

The second being that damn cripple bastard you love to hate.

P.S. I'm still waiting for someone to mention me :wink:

Since we went into Kadius...

It wouldn't have been the same without Loras, Dreslek Sivwel (Or how ever ya spelled it ya bastard  :P), and Eldor Torque!
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.

Gah! I forgot about Dreslek and Loras! They were both around the timeframe that I was naming all of mine from. I owe my staying to the whole lot of 'em. Eldor came later for me though, but he knows about that.

I really, really started to -get- it when I met up with a few figures. I hope it's alright for me to state these names, but here goes.

Rebel B- I hope you know who you are, but I'm trying to be unobtrusive here. : P Beware of the Big Red Beast.

Thea the fruitseller
Mishka
Riri
Admin. of P and Rich man V.

Hmm.. most, if not all, Borsail people I've dealt with changed me for the better.

There're so many other PCs that molded me. If I could, I'd include -everyone- I've ever met. I won't though, for the sake of everyone.
"The most important thing is to find out what is the most important thing." -- Shunryu Suzuki

Kadius has some great IC history, yes.

I got how to play the game from Berlian.

I got how to LIVE the game from Lius.

Back the dead! Started playing again, and havn't posted in a LONG time. Anyways, there arn't that many ppl who were like whoa, to me.
One of the imms, can't remember the name off the bat, starts with a V :P Complimented a few of my char idea's, boosted my confidence alot :)
Ic chars though. Um, gotta be Grausam, I hated that piece of ....., what a great character to hate. Shadow, gotta love prostitue Pc's :)
And above all, Halaster, who came to me outta no where and asked if I had an account called mightymouse or something. Great fun :)
*salute* Dwarves rule, yet I play elves, imagine that. :twisted:
You can't spell slaughter without laughter"
<EG>

I'd have to name the following... (this wasn't so long ago, and a few may still live)

Lord M
Templar D
Lady N
Lieutenant M
Lord V
Miss P

All helped to shape the character and the player behind her.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

:o
House Borsail
House Oash
And The Gith ;)

In That Order, The Gith Showed me how crazy the world is outside the walls...........
 let him take off first, I gradually stepped off my clutch and shot my pedal to the floor. Once reaching 3500 RPM I Pressed the Magic Button.

This is kind of a flattering thread.  It is an upper to see an old character listed as inspiring someone else.  Continuing the flattery, here are a few of my all time favorites that really helped show me some aspect of the game.

I can't really point to a character that got me to get it.  I sort of fell into getting it gradually and a lot of it was either through advice on the GDB or inspired by chance encounters.  That said, Sujaal, Kellan, and Devon were some of the first characters that I really got a chance to play with for a long period of time that had interesting and dynamic personalities that really gave me a thirst for long term character development.  It wasn't that they were the flashiest RPers I had ever seen (though Devon had more then a few moments that were just beautiful, especially in the end), they just played with personality and style and that really inspired me to try and keep up.

Davaz also has a special place in my heart.  He wasn't the flashest of RPers, but he had such a firm grip on the way Armageddon was supposed to look and feel.  You spend time around some people and you forget you are living in a gritty and harsh world.  Davaz put the harsh back into the world.  You spend some time around Davaz and you learn very quickly the world and the people within it are brutal.  Any time I play a military character I think back to Davaz and remember that sensible brutality of his.  If even a small fraction of the characters in the world played with that sort of sensible brutality that Davaz played with, well, besides there being a lot more bodies in the world, everyone would fully understand the harshness of Zalanthas.

When I first started arm I got to a point where I was equipping my character to go out in the desert and die, after declaring the game 'stupid'

A chance meeting stopped that, the character who changed arm for me was

Ihsahn Kasix

who then introduced me to a couple of others who quickly showed me what arm -could- be

thanks to
Iakovitzes Tor and Riandra.

There have been other great characters who helped the world come alive
special mention to:
Zuleika
Devarin
Eilis

many more recent characters have come and gone who I greatly admire,  but those were the ones I met in the beginning that convinced me to give arm a go.

-Lirael-
Passion.... makes us brutal and sanguinary" -- Broome.

For first showing me what a good PC leader is:
Khann

For telling me what's right and wrong:
Nessalin
Grady: My girls, sir, they didn't care for the Overlook at first. One of them actually stole a pack of matches and tried to burn it down. But I... CORRECTED them, sir. And when my wife tried to prevent me from doing my duty, I CORRECTED her.

I -have- to start with:

Urvane Mosk - If he had been a good boss I probably would have died within like... a day.

The soldier - I don't know who did it but there was a soldier come to life to explain to my newbie ShaL who Tektolnes was and why I needed to be at devotions, I still marvel that he didn't kill me.

Ihsahn - The dealer in what I like to call a dose of "Armreality".  He was the one who taught me that what you see and hear is definately not what you get.

Stijn - Filthy Krathi bastard, I blame you for my fascination with Krathi PC's -and- saving my first PC's life.

The Byn - Included but not limited to, Zak, Stevith, Thal, Rayne, Kyros, Vopoc, Shekky, Telak... what I wouldn't give to be shoveling shit innocently...

Kojiro Fale - who was a walking, living, breathing roller coaster ride.

Hacket - Grand Berserker of "What the fuck is he thinking?" thoughts.

Vianne - You wench! First true bitch I ever dealt with on Arm.

Laeris - For answering my wish to liven up that bazaar prostitute and other things I hope she knows by now.

Ditredum - For teaching me to separate my characters.

Teeth - My name is Teeth, sometimes it's Mister Teeth.  Hood up outside.  Next time KILL the longnecks, will ya?

Thanna Salarr - For teaching one of my characters that sometimes trust comes a little too late.

Mas - For playing the "Mas?" "Yes, <PC name>?" game with me.

Brekius - AKA Brekinky, you were ruthless and racist and one of these days I wanna be just like you.

There have been so many and the list just continues to grow. I'll shut up now. Really I will. Honest. Okay, maybe just one more...
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

Alright after some complaining I'll have to include the person from my old MUD who I have no clue how or when I started chatting with her and introduced Arm to me. You know who you are!

And thanks 'My 2 Sids'

I'd also like to include names of some of the great people that helped shape my view, think all of them are from the Byn. First, Tlaloc although mostly a big OOC help when things were crazy OOC, then got Sujaal of course, Kellan, Rinhar, Riel, Sarc, Tash, Payne, Kregor, Ardel, Mishka... Hmm... Some others, specially one of my characters good friends that I mentioned in the last post but don't have his name anywhere.

And yeah... Don't like including so many names but figured I'd get with the trend since noone was yelled at. *Cringes at the thought of getting yelled at*

Yeah.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I didn't get 'into' arm until I played on the criminal side of Allanak.  Ever since then, I've always enjoyed playing the 'bad guys'.  So my influences came largely from them.

Silver, Dar, and Ronin...you guys started it all.
Zagren got me into some nice politics that I never really did before.
Nemphis was badass.
Kune and Kilem took me under their wing for a long time.
When I played in the militia, Ihsahn was my commanding templar and
           you -rocked- at it.
Lord Heeth was the one who got me addicted to arm.  It's his fault I can't stop logging in :P
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

For me, like some others, my involvement in Arm came in stages.

I blame Naal Borsail and the Borsail bunch at that point for getting a newbie hooked on the harsh realities of Armageddon. And some thanks to the assassin too. You know who you were. You taught me shit happens in game, and one just has to cope with it.

Then there was the crew later on who got the game really breathing for me. Mawr, Leila, Zin, Ishan and that wife of yours, Sathis, Bushman, Chief, Deadeye and the rest of the Black Moon of that time. What a story we wove! It was beautiful.

And to a certain still living elf (You know who you are, you kank jumper!) who taught me how to get into the spirit of a desert elf. Kah!

You all made the game a blast for me. As have the imms, for bringing countless npcs to life or just doing a little something to make the world around me to life.
Quote from: brytta.leofa on August 17, 2010, 07:55:28 PM
A glossy, black-shelled mantis says, in insectoid-accented sirihish,
  "You haven't picked enough cotton, friend."
Choose thy fate:

Hemakah
Anonymous:  I don't get why magickers are so amazingly powerful in Arm.

Anonymous:  I mean... the concept of making one class completely dominating, and able to crush any other class after 5 days of power-playing, seems ridiculous to me.

No one actually made anything truly click, no, that has just been a long slow process...How old is arm now...about that long, minus 3 months.

But I wish to give at least honorable mention.

Riandra, I now compare all chars of that type/position to her.

Blaze, loved that char, did not live long enough, Well played and thought up I thought.

Hacket...Man, most fun RP I've ever had in nak, and with more then one char of mine too, Last one involved a dwarf in the the bazarr, I logged it.

I think I'm getting teary-eyed from one of my fav chars getting mentioned and even by people I have no idea who is/was.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Radoon and Ilse are who I remember from my newbie days.
Ah, the mysteries of the universe.  Try to understand them, but can you?  Nope! They're mysteries!

hehehe... :oops: ...I left a couple of people out of my list, and I consider them fairly important to my development as an Armaddict. Funny thing is, all these people helped me "get it" while interacting with my second character...the list goes on:

Vianne (Wow...watching you change as a character taught me a lot...)
Hacket (Crazy, zany...in many ways, strangely like Kojiro, yet...different)
Riandra (Always interesting playing with you...Kept me off balance)
Devarin (Your last moments still make me weepy!)
Vertel (Without you, I'd have been absolutely nowhere, literally...thanks for taking me under your wing!)
Gholazzi Fale (Drinking you under the table was awesome!)

Allright...I think that's enough for now. Really, I promise...I do...
Quote from: The7DeadlyVenomz"That is, at least, a step in the right direction, even if it is a step off the Shield Wall."

Ok, ok, ok... Player Creeper has helpped me.  He introduced me to the game... and a lot of other little stuff.

BUT my character you said would die in three or so IC days.... you were sooooo wrong!
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

My list goes back to my very first character, and the PC who both took me under his wing, and then butchered me.  
-Cold

-Lord Templars Jobe and Octavian
-Medichi
-Sanguin*
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

There was a couple of people I left out.

The Dragon.

You took an untested newbie as one of your servants, not thinking twice, never looking back and really got me into the game.  You were somewhat of a powergamer, after all you did become the Dragon, but you still hooked me.  Thanks.

Muk Utep and Tektolnes.  

Seriously, thanks alot.  You two were great PC mentors back in the day.  Tek, you always could be a little heavy handed setting me on the right path, but it worked, and Muk you kept me coming back all those years.  Too bad we all three went our seperate ways, Muk going North, Tek going South and me getting heavy into spice in the 260's.

Those were the days boys, those were the days.
iva La Resistance!
<Miee> The Helper Death Commando is right.