Average spending power

Started by spicemustflow, February 12, 2008, 11:46:23 AM

The staff has all the wages for the clans down in a doc, so I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

The average entry-level wage for commoner PCs is 133/month.  The range is from 0-350.  This is weighted downward because for a number of clans, the first year is unpaid.

The average top-level wage for commoner PCs is 542/month.  The range is from 0-1200. (0 for clans like the Byn, where there is no set wage, you have to earn it on contracts)

Just for fun...the average wage for merchant house family members, nobles, and templars is 1513/month.  The range is from 0 to 3333.  Again, this can be added to by bribes, sales commissions, etc.
Nyr: newbs killing newbs
Nyr: hot newb on newb violence
Ath: Mmmmmm, HOT!

Are those monthly wages, or yearly?

If my character is making below the average wages, can I send a complaint to the Zalanthan Better Business Bureau? Maybe an Allanaki Workers Union?
QuoteThe shopkeeper says, in sirihish:
     "I am closed, come back at dawn."

You say to the shopkeeper, in sirihish:
     "YOU ^*%$*% WORTHLESS SHIT."

You say, in sirihish:
      "Ahem."

Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
...so I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I think my work here is done. I'm an adverb now. Maybe even a verb? "I gimf, you gimf, she gimfs, they gimf"...

The tall, muscular man says, in sirihish:
      "Don't gimf me, bro!"
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Evidence that the Zalanthan class divide has much more to do with authority and social capital than pure wealth, then–the guys at the top only make ten times what the guys at the bottom do!

Quote from: a strange shadow on February 13, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
Which begs the question.. does doing it "right" involve ignoring reality constraints?

It is completely possible to make a shit-ton of coin by working from dawn to high sun five days per week.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.

I don't really know enough about game economics to answer this post satisfactorily, but I really like the original poster's question.  Very thought-provoking.

Quote from: Mood on February 13, 2008, 06:36:59 PM
Quote from: a strange shadow on February 13, 2008, 04:48:07 PM
Which begs the question.. does doing it "right" involve ignoring reality constraints?

It is completely possible to make a shit-ton of coin by working from dawn to high sun five days per week.

Hell, it's completely possible to make a shit-ton of coin by working an hour a day two days a week, in Arm. Some professions (notably hunting) can be high-risk/low-profit, but the average City Guy Inside The Walls job can get almost any player character very wealthy.

(Also it doesn't 'beg the question.' That's not what that phrase means.)

The average entry-level wage for commoner PCs is 133/month.  The range is from 0-350.  This is weighted downward because for a number of clans, the first year is unpaid.

The reality of this though is that they can only afford to get a couple of drinks a month.... yet many people should be able to afford to be lushes in their spare-time even on a shitty wage.

Just a thought. 

Brandon

P.S.  My character makes plenty of coin just know that when I haven't I wish I could enjoy a nice cheap ale.
Quote from: Ghost on December 16, 2009, 06:15:17 PM
brandon....

you did the biggest mistake of your life

In my perfect world I envision shop owners/apartment owners/Johnny Law/etc to be more biased than now.
In my world, even though an independent whatever would make vastly more than their clanned counterpart, their clanned counterpart would get better deals, pay less rent, pay less in bribes, etc..

Why would shop owners/apartment owners/the Law charge more? This is because the shop owner knows that by giving the discount to the clanned character, they themselves would look better and they know they could get repeat business because your clanned character has a steady income.
The apartment owner would charge the unclanned person more rent as the unclanned pc is probably going to short them on the next month, or tear the place up, or die, so the apartment owner wants to get the 'sid up front to repair the unclanned character's damage.
etc...

Right now, as I've said before, all the NPCs are just too unbiased.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 13, 2008, 05:55:01 PM
...so I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

I think my work here is done. I'm an adverb now. Maybe even a verb? "I gimf, you gimf, she gimfs, they gimf"...

They should make you a spell word.

>cast 'kral un vivadu threl gimf' Amos
Mist swirls around you in response to your call.

You utter the incantation 'kral un vivadu threl gimf'
You sense that the tall, muscular man has consumed 12.39 liters of water in the past week.
You sense that the tall, muscular man's average weekly water consumption is 15.90 liters.
You sense that the tall, muscular man's lowest weekly water consumption was 6.22 liters.
You sense that the tall, muscular man's highest weekly water consumption was 27.04 liters.

I love Moe.  :-*

emote gives him some sugar.

That idea is so sexy I can barely contemplate it.
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

February 14, 2008, 05:33:29 PM #38 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:35:34 PM by aruna
Quote from: jstorrie on February 13, 2008, 07:59:02 PM

Quote from: WikipediaMore recently, to beg the question has been used by some as a synonym for "to raise the question", or to indicate that "the question really ought to be addressed". For example, "This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" This usage is often criticized by proponents of the traditional meaning, but has nonetheless come into sufficiently widespread use that it is now the most common use of the term.

Sorry for the derail, but I couldn't help myself.

February 14, 2008, 05:40:04 PM #39 Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 05:42:03 PM by staggerlee
Quote from: aruna on February 14, 2008, 05:33:29 PM
Quote from: jstorrie on February 13, 2008, 07:59:02 PM

Quote from: WikipediaMore recently, to beg the question has been used by some as a synonym for "to raise the question", or to indicate that "the question really ought to be addressed". For example, "This year's budget deficit is half a trillion dollars. This begs the question: how are we ever going to balance the budget?" This usage is often criticized by proponents of the traditional meaning, but has nonetheless come into sufficiently widespread use that it is now the most common use of the term.

Sorry for the derail, but I couldn't help myself.

This should be a proper example of that little linguistic cul-de-sac:

Independents make an enormous amount of money gathering salt and obsidian, roughly equivalent to four times what an average clanned character makes. 
Clanned characters should make more money than unclanned characters for the same amount of effort.
Therefore, there should be additional penalties to that method of gathering resources, or it's sale value should be reduced.

Note: I don't actually necessarily subscribe to these views, I'm just further derailing. I apologize.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Quote from: FuSoYa on February 13, 2008, 09:43:47 PM

The reality of this though is that they can only afford to get a couple of drinks a month.... yet many people should be able to afford to be lushes in their spare-time even on a shitty wage.

Just a thought. 

Brandon

P.S.  My character makes plenty of coin just know that when I haven't I wish I could enjoy a nice cheap ale.

Maybe instead of getting more money there should be something less expensive around to drink And perhaps it should be less appetizing in some way. Like... ripple!
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

I think clanned characters should just be charged less.
Quote from: Shoka Windrunner on April 16, 2008, 10:34:00 AM
Arm is evil.  And I love it.  It's like the softest, cuddliest, happy smelling teddy bear in the world, except it is stuffed with meth needles that inject you everytime

Quote from: Barzalene on February 14, 2008, 07:39:26 PM
Quote from: FuSoYa on February 13, 2008, 09:43:47 PM

Just a thought. 

Brandon

Maybe instead of getting more money there should be something less expensive around to drink And perhaps it should be less appetizing in some way. Like... ripple!

Please, no more of this 15 'sid per ale, 90 'sid per glass of wine shit. It's ridiculous.
Quote from: H. L.  MenckenEvery normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.