A lost player...

Started by BlackMagic0, February 11, 2008, 04:23:01 AM

February 11, 2008, 04:23:01 AM Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 06:11:46 AM by BlackMagic0
I've just had my favorite character die, of a terrible, utterly lame death. (I hope some IMM was watching at least! It was a good RP scene!) Either way.. This death leaves me open to a new role, and yet.. I've no clue what to do right now. I'm in a hole.. After 26-27 characters.  I'm not able to think of one at the moment.
Maybe someone else would like to give me some ideas? Concepts? Something! Maybe someone wants to start a family?  ???

I'll say one thing... For the nine (or ten) months that I've been playing this lovely, heart pounding story. I've never once played a character born in Storm, Luirs, in a tribe (besides desert elf), or even Tuluk.  I've only stepped into Tuluk two (maybe three) times in my whole history of Arm. I've started someone in two of these areas (Luirs/Storm), but never actually had them live/be from there. 
:o Amazing, Huh? Anti-Tree-hugger!?

I would have no idea, where to even start, or how to interact, up north. Would make me feel like a utter-newb again. And stumbling about 'Nak, to find a dead body, then get a PC militia  showing up and yelling "Did you kill him!".. Scared me shit less as a newb. Was my first character. hahaha
Suppose, I would have to read the documents on Tuluk, if I decided to go up that way, But why would I?  :P

Either way.. Just thought I would see what people decide to throw at me.  8)
"Don't take life too seriously, nobody ever makes it out alive anyway."

I never wanted to play in Tuluk. Every time I played in Tuluk, if my pc didn't die, I wished they would. I really thought it was too nice and there was nothing going on. Playing in Tuluk recently with a new pc (having died early in an rpt where I thought the south was going bye bye) I spent my first week rolling my eyes and praying for death.

I've learned to love the North. Seriously. Why would you? Cause it's worth reading the docs for. I'm not saying it's better than Nak, I'm saying it's good too in different ways. If they can make me a convert, you really ought to give it a shot.

Even if you have to read a few docs.
Varak:You tell the mangy, pointy-eared gortok, in sirihish: "What, girl? You say the sorceror-king has fallen down the well?"
Ghardoan:A pitiful voice rises from the well below, "I've fallen and I can't get up..."

Quote from: Barzalene on February 11, 2008, 07:37:29 AM
I never wanted to play in Tuluk. Every time I played in Tuluk, if my pc didn't die, I wished they would. I really thought it was too nice and there was nothing going on. Playing in Tuluk recently with a new pc (having died early in an rpt where I thought the south was going bye bye) I spent my first week rolling my eyes and praying for death.

I've learned to love the North. Seriously. Why would you? Cause it's worth reading the docs for. I'm not saying it's better than Nak, I'm saying it's good too in different ways. If they can make me a convert, you really ought to give it a shot.

Even if you have to read a few docs.

Yeah, reading the docs and understanding them before playing in the north is important.  Very much so.
I never liked Tuluk before either, but now I'm a fanboy (as my signatures may show).
I'd recommend the same as Barzalene:  play in the North, but read the docs first on it.  You'll be glad you did.

I've also played in Red Storm a lot as well as Allanak...and Luir's.  Enjoyed those, but I like Tuluk a lot.
Quote from: ShalooonshTuluk: More Subtly Hot. If you can't find action in Tuluk, you're from Allanak.
Quote from: Southie"In His Radiance" -> I am a traitor / I've been playing too much in Tuluk recently.

You probably won't enjoy Tuluk if you don't read the docs.  Just remember that it's a completely different structure-- you'll have a hard time walking into a bar and finding roleplay.   My recommendation?  Establish relationships upon which you are sound enough to be able to Way that person and find them for roleplay.

Some places that people like the play:
--the Ghaati (not your standard place)
--the gardens
--in their barracks
--in their apartments
--all over the city shopping
--in estates
--in the Sanc (check all the rooms, sometimes)
--in the little square outside of the Sanc
--in their heads!  annoying but true

Tuluk is awesome in it's own way, and it's main sucky point is the fact that everyone is playing in allanak.

If you and others make more characters up there, it will become more interesting and fun.

J-Rod

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on February 11, 2008, 04:23:01 AM
I'll say one thing... For the nine (or ten) months that I've been playing this lovely, heart pounding story. I've never once played a character born in Storm, Luirs, in a tribe (besides desert elf), or even Tuluk.  I've only stepped into Tuluk two (maybe three) times in my whole history of Arm. I've started someone in two of these areas (Luirs/Storm), but never actually had them live/be from there. 

Over four years and I have not started a character in Tuluk either.  Two of my characters stepped in for a short period of time but that is it.

A character concept for you:  Start a dwarf with the focus of hugging all the trees in the world because in your own twisted mind that will give you pleasure
some of my posts are serious stuff

Quote from: Ghost on February 11, 2008, 11:35:23 AM

Over four years and I have not started a character in Tuluk either.  Two of my characters stepped in for a short period of time but that is it.

A character concept for you:  Start a dwarf with the focus of hugging all the trees in the world because in your own twisted mind that will give you pleasure

Better yet, make love to the trees. Have fun rping pulling splinters out of that stumpy little dwarf's stump. :D

But yeah.... I've stepped into Tuluk with a 'Nakki before and behaved as I would've in 'Nak, just to remind all of those clean Northerners as to why they look down on the South. Many people were offended and I was thrown out of the entire city for drunken ramblings.  ;D

If the idea of playing the whole "subtle" thing concerns you, remember that's only the politics of the North, it isn't necessarily how the non-political types will behave. Some will, some won't. Ruffians from Tuluk will -know- about the subtleties, will understand them, will probably respect the unspoken rules regarding them, and even have an appreciation for them. But that doesn't mean that the low-life thug is required to wear silks and lift his pinky while drinking tea. He can be just as low-life as any low-life from anywhere else, if you want him to be. He's a ruffian, it's OKAY to play him rougher than the subtle political roleplay of the more influential (and influenced) folk of Tuluk.

Just remember to take stock of your character's environment. Example...your low-life commoner isn't a hardened criminal, but wouldn't think twice about lifting a pouch from a dead guy on the street and pretending it didn't exist if he's questioned about seeing the corpse. So he's just some Joe Schmoe hoping to make ends meet and have enough left over at the end of the week for a few ales and a snort of spice. He belches, he farts, he scratches his crotch. He tries to pick up women at the Tooth, and would pay for it if he could afford it. His daily existence is about as subtle as smashing your head into a brick wall (or a bahamet shell).

And yet, when he wanders out of the Warrens and up into the northern half of the city, he'll take off his tattered, bloodied, stained wide brim hat with half the brim missing, push his scraggly hair back behind his ears, toss a bit of mead under his armpits to mask the stench of not bathing in almost 4 months, and pick the sliver of rotting meat out from between his equally rotting teeth. Not because he's playing the subtle game - he isn't capable of it. But because he appreciates that OTHER people want to play that game, and he doesn't want to piss those other people off by visiting their section of the city.

You can totally do this, but it takes some observing of how things work in Tuluk to appreciate the flow and rhythm, first.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I am a fervent lover of Tuluk, even though the sad truth is that I have now played the majority of my characters and the majority of my playtime in Allanak. (And I love Allanak for its own specialness too.)

What others say is true: Read the documentation. Then, make a Tuluki ranger guy who's fanatically loyal to the city-state but has no background in politics or high society, and get hired on by Kadius or Salarr to hunt and live up north. Avoid traveling southwards, so that you can spend your time steeping in the unique culture of Tuluk. Hang out in the Sanctuary, sit at the bar, observe people. Ask a Circle bard for etiquette lessons. (That is one of the functions of Circle bards, they will love you for wanting that kind of interaction!)

You don't have to be subtle to play in Tuluk. Only a tiny portion of the playerbase actually can do subtle anyways. That's like...advanced Tuluki RP, much like politics and such in Allanak. Don't sweat it, just get in and play!

Tuluk is awesome. Really it is. Give it a real try!
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

Quote from: Gimfalisette on February 11, 2008, 12:14:06 PM
Ask a Circle bard for etiquette lessons. (That is one of the functions of Circle bards, they will love you for wanting that kind of interaction!)

Now if only Tuluk had more active bards.. *hint hint*
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Suppose, I would have to read the documents on Tuluk, if I decided to go up that way, But why would I?  :P

To clear this up.. I meant, this as a joke. Saying.. "Why would I play in Tuluk?"
I've not a single problem with reading the documents. I've even read a few of the docs for the north-tree-huggers, but not to much.

Quote from: BlackMagic0 on February 11, 2008, 04:23:01 AMMaybe someone else would like to give me some ideas? Concepts? Something! Maybe someone wants to start a family?  ???

Either way, I see a lot of people are trying to nudge my ass toward Tuluk, like it or not!
Nothing else worth playing these days?  ;)

Its nice to see all your friendly, helpful, posts.. Either way!
~Is being completely honest there! Yah Tree-huggers.~ :P

There are many other things worth playing. But you've never played in Tuluk. It would be brand-new. I think that's why we're all saying maybe you should give it a try.
Quote from: Vanth on February 13, 2008, 05:27:50 PM
I'm gonna go all Gimfalisette on you guys and lay down some numbers.

You don't have to be subtle to play in Tuluk. Only a tiny portion of the playerbase actually can do subtle anyways. That's like...advanced Tuluki RP, much like politics and such in Allanak.

I'm amazed that someone can insult 98% of the playerbase and not have someone raise a fuss about it.  :P  The trouble with judging subtlety is that it's so... subtle.  Isn't it bettter to assume subtlety in the smallest of things?  If your character is a paranoid sort, it's probably better for his/her survivability, too.

Back to the OP, though, subtlety up north is this crazy word that gets thrown around a bunch and makes things seem more intimidating than they are.  There are elegant commoners, there are Complete Bastards, there are dirty Bynners - NPC and PC.  Play what you enjoy and get to know people, as the above have suggested.  The worst that can happen is that you'll get ostracized and killed... and probably have a grand time of RP in the process.

Quote from: saquartey
Rairen, what would we do without you?

Quote from: Rairen on February 11, 2008, 12:59:55 PM
You don't have to be subtle to play in Tuluk. Only a tiny portion of the playerbase actually can do subtle anyways. That's like...advanced Tuluki RP, much like politics and such in Allanak.

I'm amazed that someone can insult 98% of the playerbase and not have someone raise a fuss about it.  :P

That's because she did it subtly.

Actually the thing about subtlety and politics is that they really are hard to master, especially when combined.  A lot of the player base (myself included) probably can't pull them off perfectly, it requires a very complete knowledge of the documents, ic culture and the way people work.   Which is why it's probably a good idea to start small and work your way up to the big time politics.  Play a noble's personal body guard before playing a noble, etc. 

Now I really want to play in Tuluk.  Not that Nakki politics aren't totally awesome too, in their own brutal way.
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.

"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Blackmagic, I think you have a common misconception about Tuluk. It is gritty, very much so, but it is just not as apparent as in Allanak. In fact, I would go as far as to say Tuluki politics are fucked up and brutal. You just don't see it unless you are involved. I'd say make a Northern Militia. Its fun, I swear.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I've enjoyed all the northerners I've played. And I've actually played a lot more northerners than southerners. House guards and associates were always really fun there back in the day due to the winrothol/tenneshi strife. And the Sun legionnaire I played was -really- fun.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Reiloth on February 11, 2008, 01:40:16 PM
I'd say make a Northern Militia. Its fun, I swear.

Bears repeatin'.
Quote from: manonfire on November 04, 2013, 08:11:36 AM
The secret to great RP is having the balls to be weird and the brains to make it eloquent.

Make a southerner... with.. uh... actually any southerner character has the potential to rock absolutely in my book.  It all depends on who got the remote control of the character.

Make a southerner... yeah whatever floats your skimmer
some of my posts are serious stuff

February 11, 2008, 10:49:14 PM #18 Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:51:18 PM by BlackMagic0
Quote from: Ourla on February 11, 2008, 02:40:47 PM
Quote from: Reiloth on February 11, 2008, 01:40:16 PM
I'd say make a Northern Militia. Its fun, I swear.

Bears repeatin'.

Quote from: Bogre on February 11, 2008, 02:08:23 PM
And the Sun legionnaire I played was -really- fun.

One of the two guys that got me into Armageddon (through RL means) told me the Sun Legion also...
Either way, I've got myself back on the Arm ride, with a role.

Quote from: Ghost on February 11, 2008, 11:35:23 AM

To this..  Also, I've never touched or even thought of making a dwarf (or half-giant) character. Hairless short people, have never been my role of choice.

Quote from: bardess on February 11, 2008, 09:25:20 AM
You probably won't enjoy Tuluk if you don't read the docs.  Just remember that it's a completely different structure-- you'll have a hard time walking into a bar and finding roleplay.   My recommendation?  Establish relationships upon which you are sound enough to be able to Way that person and find them for roleplay.

Some places that people like the play:
--the Ghaati (not your standard place)
--the gardens
--in their barracks
--in their apartments
--all over the city shopping
--in estates
--in the Sanc (check all the rooms, sometimes)
--in the little square outside of the Sanc
--in their heads!  annoying but true

It's also worth checking the other taverns around Tuluk.  More than a few commoner PCs find the upscale Sanctuary to be their last choice in Tuluki drinking establishments.

You mentioned it, so it must be somewhere in the back of your mind - get with someone and do family. Family....rocks. Just make sure your loved (or hated) one plays a ton. IMO this just adds so much depth and playability to a character.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Quote from: path on February 15, 2008, 10:08:22 AM
You mentioned it, so it must be somewhere in the back of your mind - get with someone and do family. Family....rocks. Just make sure your loved (or hated) one plays a ton. IMO this just adds so much depth and playability to a character.

Problem, Is finding those lovely PCs huh? Since most people already have roles. haha

I know exactly how you feel, I always have more fun with previously set up backgrounds with PC players. It just makes you feel more developed as a character I guess....at least for me it does.
Respect. Responsibility. Compassion.

QuoteProblem, Is finding those lovely PCs huh? Since most people already have roles. haha

I suppose you could just ask on the GDB. Maybe people have virtual families for thier PCs, and there are many long lived PCs.

I think that doing it the other way around is much tougher, though you see it more often.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job